Want to flat tow my KZJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Posted this a while ago, then sold my MH - and never got a good answer anyway. Well we got a new MH and now this question has popped into my head again.

I have experience flat towing automatic Jeeps, just put it in park and transfer case in N. I am assuming that since the KZJ78 has a transfer case with N, I could possibly do the same? Short of anyone not knowing the answer to that specific question, I'll take the model number of the T-case. Maybe I can look up the details myself to figure it out.

Thanks

When towing a 4WD, the axels and prop shafts get propelled. So, in any case, this is wear to the drivetrain. To limit this, free wheeling hubs in the front are highly recommended.
The tranny however is not moving. But the tranny, in some constellations, is responsible to move oil to the output shaft bearings and lube the oil seals there.
(Heavy trucks with separate oil pump and no N in gearbox is a similar, but different story)
This is the rationale that I heard on why to avoid long distance towing of vehicles with propshafts on, even if gearbox and clutch can be separated by N from the moving drivetrain.
Not sure whether this applies to any Landcruiser, though.
Cheers Ralf

When towing a 4WD, the axels and prop shafts get propelled. So, in any case, this is wear to the drivetrain. To limit this, free wheeling hubs in the front are highly recommended.
The tranny however is not moving. But the tranny, in some constellations, is responsible to move oil to the output shaft bearings and lube the oil seals there.
(Heavy trucks with separate oil pump and no N in gearbox is a similar, but different story)
This is the rationale that I heard on why to avoid long distance towing of vehicles with propshafts on, even if gearbox and clutch can be separated by N from the moving drivetrain.
Not sure whether this applies to any Landcruiser, though.
Cheers Ralf

Totally, the wear to the drivetrain will be there, but all the drive train components, from what I understand, are self lubricating, including the T-case. The automatic transmission however needs to be operating so the pump can lubricate the internals of the trans. This is why its a bad idea to tow a car, with its drive-wheels down and just the transmission in N for long periods of time.

As far as I understand, if you can disconnect the transmission (either drivelines removed or T-case in N), leave the tranny in park, the internals of the trans will not move and it should be safe.

Just me not being 100% sure on the Land Cruiser configuration is where I get some apprehension so I am trying to see if it has been done by anyone here before.

Hello,

I checked the manuals regarding towing.

For trucks with an automatic transmission built before 1990, it is possible to tow with the transmission shifted to Neutral, provided towing distance is less than 80 km (50 mi) and speed does not exceed 45 km/h or 28 mi/h. For distances over 80 km and speeds above 45 km/h, it is better to disconnect the rear propeller shaft.

Regarding trucks built after 1990, a trailer is recommended for all models.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Hello,

I checked the manuals regarding towing.

For trucks with an automatic transmission built before 1990, it is possible to tow with the transmission shifted to Neutral, provided towing distance is less than 80 km (50 mi) and speed does not exceed 45 km/h or 28 mi/h. For distances over 80 km and speeds above 45 km/h, it is better to disconnect the rear propeller shaft.

Regarding trucks built after 1990, a trailer is recommended for all models.

Hope this helps.

Juan
Interesting, wonder what changed in 90? No mention of the transfer case in N, just the Transmission? What manual was this mentioned in?

Sorry about 20 questions, I believe you just want to make sure it applies to my rig...

Hello,

I checked owner manuals from before and after 1990 and noticed the change.

To be a little more precise, from 1991 on the manual recommends using a trailer. I guess your KZJ78 is a post-1991 model.

Juan

Interested in what you decide to do. I've wanted to tow my BJ73 behind my motorhome for a while. I do have a manual transmission, so interested in that aspect / recommendations. Probably need something custom fabbed to attach the tow bar to. What I'm really stumbling on is a braking system, but that could be overcome if the previous items were resolved. I've set up a 2012 Tacoma and a 2014 Honda to flat tow, no issues with either of those.

According to the above website, Toyota Land Cruiser with manual transmission is supposed to be ok for flat towing.

Hello,

The website seems to cover only American domestic market vehicles. The Land Cruiser entry does not discriminate whether it refers to a 40 or a 60 Series.

Remember that 70 Series were not sold in the US.

I would take the tables with a grain of salt. I find the "manual says No but it can be done" comment hard to swallow.

Call me old fashioned, but I think it is better to follow the user's manual on this matter.

Juan

Hello,

The website seems to cover only American domestic market vehicles. The Land Cruiser entry does not discriminate whether it refers to a 40 or a 60 Series.

Remember that 70 Series were not sold in the US.

I would take the tables with a grain of salt. I find the "manual says No but it can be done" comment hard to swallow.

Call me old fashioned, but I think it is better to follow the user's manual on this matter.

Juan
Good point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom