want to be a new fj40 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My first vehicle was a 71 FJ40 I bought right before I turned 16. Sold it a couple years later and wanted one again ever since. Luckily, my brother had a 74 and my dad had a 71 so I still could drive one around whenever I wanted. I never had to go through crazy withdrawls. I finally picked one up last summer again for $3,000 and am sinking money into it...of course. You most likely won't regret purchasing one. It's the gift that keeps on giving.......and taking...and taking. Good luck! Where are you located?

Go get yerself one of them Bevery Hills therapists. They'll be cheaper than the fj40 habit.

I agree...I am also very mechanically disinclined, but ever since I bought my FJ 3 years ago, I am going to have to say it was one of the best purchases I have ever made. I have been in love with them since I can remember and have always wanted one. Do it!:)

Pretty much you pay for what you get like most things. Look to spend 13 to 23 k for a rust free good running with power steering. I plan to sell my 78 for what I have into it after I put the new seats in etc. Keeping my completed restored 78.

Buy the nicest one you can - don't 'save money' by buying a total steaming pile. If you do, you may get so disheartened that you sell it and never realize any real joy from owning it. Find a knowledgeable 'cruiserhead in your area to help you out.

Hey - I love my steaming pile :grinpimp:

Just thought I'd post this up for fun...not trying to hijack. I would never! Plus I've had a few drinks.

I bought this right before I turned 16 for $4,250. No rust at all, had a 350, auto trans, and way more. I miss this thing every day. Sure there's no paint job but who cares...that's the least of worries. Just goes to show you they're out there. At least when I bought this 12 years ago they were.
71fj40.jpg

Run away and enjoy life. If you buy one of these things you will spend almost all of your time on this site. When you're not on this site you will be out in the hills with a bunch of mud addicts.
This is what I was doing last weekend.
2011-03-26 10.49.55.jpg
2011-03-26 11.18.16 - Copy (640x480).jpg

Awesome! I am in Florida, so Im thinking if I find one locally, itd be a miracle not to have rust (from what Ive read). Though even with rust, theres pretty slim picking down here. Someone asked what I want to do with it... drive it alot! Id like to find a diesel engine, or maybe the conversion would make for a good project.

go for it

Hi, Ive been debating whether to take on the task of finding and maintaining an fj40.

Forgive my ignorance, but I have no mechanical experience, though I want to learn, and hope to do so in the process. I can drive manual, change oil and tires, and maybe a spark plug but thats as far as I ever got. I built my bike (as in bicycle) and now whenever there is a problem i know exactly how to fix it, and I want the same feeling for my car.

Ive never had the privilege of driving the fj40, but I like the idea that once you take care of it, it lasts, and they dont have loads of computers to make maintenance impossible. I also just happen to think they are an awesome car to spend time on, (I never was the muscle type).

So, what do you guys think? Is it possible? Is it a bad idea? Im willing to spend the time and money. I have patience. Currently Im in vet school so I dont have tons of time but Id like to work on it when i can, in small bits, as a release from all that.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Dave

I cannot tell you how happy my Fj40 makes me. I cried when it was delivered. I am sure I overpaid, but like you, I am limited in knowledge, but am mechanically inclined and wanted to learn. I knew that getting the best mechanically sound 40 was the way to go. I do not mind getting my hands dirty and find pleasure in being able to learn and understand what is wrong and how to fix it.. Finding knowledgable people around you is a huge bonus and I have lucked out in that department (assholes don't drive 40's)and this forum has sooo many answers. I drive my 40 daily, no longer drive my other car unless I really have to. I take it light off roading and it has become my obsession to the dismay of my husband and children. Things do go wrong, but it's well worth the ride. I will sell my other car that is completely loaded with all the comforts of a/c, power steering, tv and the likes before I would ever get rid of my 40. Good luck and go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom