want the locking diff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to buy a 94-96 FJ80 and I'm really hoping to find one with the locking differential. Can anyone tell me what percentage of these vehicles has this option? I would also like to know if it is encoded in the VIN whether or not a vehicle has this option or what means I may have at my disposal to find out if a particular vehicle does have it besides the seller's word.

Your at the right price and your intrested in the Right Truck..

The Search Function will find everything you want..

diff+code

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=31602&highlight=diff+code

You can tell if it's got lockers from the code on the door:

Rigs with lockers will have the code - K294,
Rigs without lockers will have code - K292

Welcome to The MUD!!

You want all three diffs to lock. Go search newb!

And for the most common 'MUD welcome, :flipoff2:

Don't forget the '93's had the locking diff option too.

B

8%-10% were made with lockers I believe.

BTW, NADA gives no difference in the prices of a locked vs unlocked 80, but what was the difference when they were new?

What's up? No love for the 97s? ;)

Welcome aboard :flipoff2:

Where are you and how much do you plan on spending? You'll find at least a rig or two in the Vehicles For Sale forum.

mason said:
BTW, NADA gives no difference in the prices of a locked vs unlocked 80, but what was the difference when they were new?

The locking differentials option was an $895 bump on the factory sticker in 1997 I believe. Considering that would have been additional $600 in actual dealer cost, it sure looks cheap now. The reason NADA does not show a difference is because MOST of these trucks are not being sold by NADA reporting dealers. Most of them are so old and high mileage that they are being sold by independents who don't take the time to fill out those stupid NADA reporting forms. Of course, that's why the NADA guide is worthless anyway, its incomplete. But if you look on eBay, you can clearly tell the "lockers" option has caught on with sellers.

elmariachi said:
The locking differentials option was an $895 bump on the factory sticker in 1997 I believe.

WOW! A bargain! Considering how much they cost new! To manually add them after the fact, to go through the dealer is 3k +

Last edited:
Boston Mangler said:
WOW! A bargain! Considering how much they cost new! To manually add them after the fact, to go through the dealer is 3k +

You should be going ARB.............................. :doh:

reffug said:
You should be going ARB.............................. :doh:

Ha! Good One! :D :flipoff2:

The locking differentials option was an $895 bump on the factory sticker in 1997 I believe. Considering that would have been additional $600 in actual dealer cost...

Jim is pretty close. The Feb 1997 sticker I have lists the Invoice at $681, and MSRP at $825.

Cheers, R -

elmariachi said:
that's why the NADA guide is worthless anyway, its incomplete. But if you look on eBay, you can clearly tell the "lockers" option has caught on with sellers.

FWIW, between NADA and Kelly Blue Book...I prefer Edmunds.com!! The True Market Value pricing they have on there is pretty interesting and it DOES give an option for a locker. I can't recall what it adds to the value of the used vehicle, but I can barely figure out tipping at restaurants so go figure!

Good luck in your search!! And welcome to the board...

:cheers:
Kevin

AspenFJ40 said:
FWIW, between NADA and Kelly Blue Book...I prefer Edmunds.com!! The True Market Value pricing they have on there is pretty interesting and it DOES give an option for a locker. I can't recall what it adds to the value of the used vehicle, but I can barely figure out tipping at restaurants so go figure!

Good luck in your search!! And welcome to the board...

:cheers:
Kevin

Edmunds adds $37 to the value of the vehicle if it has lockers. Let's see . . . :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom