Want get rid of center console cooler box (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We just went from North Dakota to Gainesville Florida (2k miles) and that coolbox was amazing! It kept drinks and snacks very cold all the while making it easily reachable for my wife. It truly is not for most, and for those it is wasted space that could be utilized better. For us, I would not give that thing up for anything.

To each their own... :)

Great info and discussion - thanks guys. I found what looks to be similar to the ebay tray on amazon for much less. Nothing against ebay or the seller, and not pushing amazon, or my own agenda, just FYI....

-Z

I like the cool box, but wish I could sacrifice it for a pistol lock box.

Researched it and actually even started to disassemble but got intimidated by the a/c unit. Didn't want to scramble the whole system, so I gave up.

Maybe when I run out of mods I will look into it again. Cap the lines?

I'm planning to create a foam insert with a bottom and top that I'll cut out to fit my Springfield XD-M 9mm then place it with a bottom and top into the cooler box when I'm not driving (holster under the steering wheel), carrying, or at home. Place the white plastic bottom that came with the cooler on top of the foam insert and blam it looks like the bottom.

I got this one from amazon pretty cheap before a road trip back in June. Only $13 and some change plus prime shipping. Nice quick turnaround. I guess I would call this my first "mod" on my new to me '08. :rimshot: What I like most is that you can still cram some cans/boxes of drinks under it to keep some stuff cool.

Has anyone out there deleted the cold box?

I'm in the market for a 2016+ 200 series and would like to have more room in the center console. It seems like my only options are to buy a Heritage Edition or somehow get parts for a non-cooled console. For many reasons, I'm not interested in buying a LX570.

I'm in the market for a 2016+ 200 series and would like to have more room in the center console. It seems like my only options are to buy a Heritage Edition or somehow get parts for a non-cooled console. For many reasons, I'm not interested in buying a LX570.
I’d love to pull it and throw a gunvault in there. Prefer something accessible. Have never used the cool box function, even when living in AZ.

If they have they haven’t posted about it. I assume you’ve seen how expensive and involved it is to do it right..

My solution: I bought a plastic pitcher from Walmart, cut off the handle, and keep it in the cooler box.

I get the storage space and can quickly put it out for the times I want to use the cooler. Which, in 3 years of ownership, has been never.

A9C1DDCF-9ACA-4D1C-8FB9-4D999B463633.jpeg
38C2DFED-97BF-4031-A2CC-B1EDD4D5EE2B.jpeg

My solution: I bought a plastic pitcher from Walmart, cut off the handle, and keep it in the cooler box.

I get the storage space and can quickly put it out for the times I want to use the cooler. Which, in 3 years of ownership, has been never.

View attachment 3284109View attachment 3284110

Nice idea.
Someone needs to properly build a fitted part for this so I can buy one. (bh3d?).

Preferably one that fits with the drop in tray on top.

S3DP? BH3D?

Someone can help me tag these guys?

I'm looking for a 200 series but am not wanting the cool box either. Seems like a small thing, but my wife uses that center console a ton and needs the space.

I'm looking for a 200 series but am not wanting the cool box either. Seems like a small thing, but my wife uses that center console a ton and needs the space.
You need to search for a 2020 or 2021 Heritage Edition; those models delete the cooler box and offer the larger storage space with an insert storage tray.

Curious why you wouldn't just use it for storage as is and not turn on the cooling function?

Curious why you wouldn't just use it for storage as is and not turn on the cooling function?

It constricts storage quite a bit. But really, ive seen more people trying to add it then remove. While I think it can be removed, adding it in seems to be prohibitively expensive. Maybe it can be sold? Not sure what the refrigiration portion of this is like to swap... I do know most 200s have all wiring in place in the US at least and trimmed up markets. Mine had an extra harness even for the old dash cluster.

It constricts storage quite a bit. But really, ive seen more people trying to add it then remove. While I think it can be removed, adding it in seems to be prohibitively expensive. Maybe it can be sold? Not sure what the refrigiration portion of this is like to swap... I do know most 200s have all wiring in place in the US at least and trimmed up markets. Mine had an extra harness even for the old dash cluster.
Different refrigerant lines under the transmission tunnel. To do it right it would involve dropping the transmission.

Different refrigerant lines under the transmission tunnel. To do it right it would involve dropping the transmission.
Yeah, that makes sense though does seem like a lot of effort for a couple inches more storage space. With fridge "permanently" installed in my Cruiser, I never use this so only use it for dry storage and I feel like I can fit a lot of stuff in there.

Yeah, that makes sense though does seem like a lot of effort for a couple inches more storage space. With fridge "permanently" installed in my Cruiser, I never use this so only use it for dry storage and I feel like I can fit a lot of stuff in there.

No champagne or wine here, and not really a cold water drinker (European), but I do use it for froyo :).

It does run concurrent to front compressor though, so it could just be on. Im just not sure if leaving it on for drinks is that useful since it will stay off when parked. I should use it more.

The version without the coolbox is a cavern.. but I agree I do fine without it. Plus I kinda feel like if I had that much storage I'd just find more junk that "needs" to go there.

No champagne or wine here, and not really a cold water drinker (European), but I do use it for froyo :).

It does run concurrent to front compressor though, so it could just be on. Im just not sure if leaving it on for drinks is that useful since it will stay off when parked. I should use it more.

I only use mine for trips.. pretty nice to not have to stop to get drinks or snacks out of the cooler in the back of the truck. Otherwise it stays off.

One other quirk.. since it does run off the AC compressor it will cut out in cold temps just like the AC will. Somewhere around 35F IIRC. Then, whatever's in there gets luke warm from the heat of the transmission tunnel. This has made a few snacks less than desirable for me on my way to the mountains for ski trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom