Want a new intake/exhaust (No Smog issues) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think my next project will be pipes and maybe a new intake system. Can anyone recommend a set-up. I did the man-a-fre headers on my fj 60. My 55 should be a lot easier, plus there aren't any emmisions test in Hawaii. I also want abetter breathing intake to the stock carb, or maybe not stock. Headers to just a muffler. I want it to sound bad, but not obnoxiously loud.
1970 fj55 Thanks Logger

Dude, you've got a way rad TLCA number.:eek:

Stock manifold and carbs work just fine.;) Header, 2.25 exhaust thru a Flowmaster and you're set.

Dude, what 65swb45 said.
Also, not all headers for LandCruisers will fit a 55 (steering box).
Also, not all headers will fit with the Toyota Hi-Po intake (without some work)
Plenty more opinions down in the 55 sty...have you checked there?

TWRECKS
(#2509)

Pighead said:
Dude, what 65swb45 said.
Also, not all headers for LandCruisers will fit a 55 (steering box).
Also, not all headers will fit with the Toyota Hi-Po intake (without some work)
Plenty more opinions down in the 55 sty...have you checked there?

TWRECKS
(#2509)

SOR 2 pc headers won't fit a 55, ask me how i know :eek:, it hit the motor mount on mine. I ended up getting the intake/exhaust manifold milled and it worked great, and still OEM.

HIJACK, Hey pighead, what is interferring on the hipo intake and the headers? Is there a difference in manifold sizes between the lowpo and hipo manifolds besides the width of the entire runners? Also. is this brand specific for the headers? Just curious, plan on putting headers under my hipo manifold soon.

My "hi-po" manifold cleared the MAN-A-Fre header tubes. But the flange area needed some easy work with the grinder, similar to other non "hi-po" manifold header combo's I have completed.

If you are putting headers on an FJ55, make sure they fit an FJ55. Some folks sell ones listed to fit FJ40/45/55 and they may not work on the FJ55, as the motor mount on the DS does not sit atop the frame like the FJ40/45, rather it sits inbetween the bellhousing and the frame.

Back to headers...

O.K., so we know the SOR two-piece won't fit a 55, what will fit?
For one, the Downey non street legal will fit. Even with the stock steering box.
The street legal will probably fit if you have power steering, it will fit if you don't plumb the EGR stuff and just cap off the little flanged outlet.
2005_0106_212051.JPG
2005_0106_212117.JPG

Hi-Po vs. Lo-Po manifolds

Alf has a link to Hi-Po vs. 2F. Here's H-Po vs. F.
I sorta test fitted this Hi-Po one day when I had my stock intake off (forget why) but the inner runners bumped into the header and I realized I was going to do some grinding and/or banging to get them to fit and I didn't have time that day and the Hi-Po isn't ready to go on anyway so I figured I'd tackle that some day when I had time.
2005_0106_221234.JPG
2005_0106_221253.JPG
2005_0106_221431.JPG

Air Cleaner and High Po Intake

Pighead

Nice comparison - thanks:bounce2:

Are you running a 2F engine (intake/exhaust studs look larger). What carb and what air cleaner are you using -- looks like your power steering takes up the air-cleaner space for an "F" -- any more pics?

As you know, the High-Po Intake dimensions are different then the "F" and "2F" low-Po intakes and don't line up to the "stock" cleaner on my 75 (bolt connection through carb to air-cleaner -- High-Po intake mis-aligns with air-cleaner by about 1/8 to 1/4 inch and not tall enough). Does the High-Po intake just give the engine more oxygen -- larger intake holes. If you were to grind, do you do the header or the intake?

HEADERS

Does everybody get good burning on #1 and #6 plugs in a "2F" with headers? I am not, but I think my intake/exhaust gasket is shot -- will be replacing shortly. A mechanic said that I may need to use anti-fouling plug inserts to set the plug back a bit. Anybody have a similar experience? Not sure on this advice.

Gosh, 75Pig, you sure do ask a lot of questions.
(Whole-Hog hijack mode ON)
The block is an early 2F, the head is a late F. I had the head drilled and tapped for the later, bigger studs, (Good eyes!)
The carb is the stock late '74, been to see Jim C.
Yes, the power steering pump, mounted up high like that, precludes the stock air filter. No, you may not see what filter is on there now (I got one of those stupid ricerocket foam thingies as a temporary fix about a year ago. I'm embarrassed that it's still there). I got the mounting bracket from Mark's to move the pump down low, just need to get a tensioner.
I think that you're always gonna have trouble putting a 2F aircleaner on an F intake. It's been done though. I like the early air cleaner better.
Don't know why the Hi-Po manifold is better, it just is. It's rare and desirable. I got one so I'm putting it on...
(Whole-Hog hijack mode OFF)

P.S. Your mailbox is full.

Yep,

My wife thinks I ask too many questions too --- Some say "anal" some say "detailed." I prefer the later.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom