Wandering on rutted roads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 78 FJ40. It has always darted all over the road in ruts. I replaced 32 X 11.50 15 inch BF Goodrich TAs with some new 32 X 11.50 15 TAs. It darts when it gets in the ruts in the road. I have recently replaced the bushings in the shackles and I inspected the other ends of the leaf springs and they are in good shape. I had the front end aligned after the new tires were installed. I see a lot of new Jeeps around here with the same tire combination and they handle the ruts OK. I like the look of the wider tires but the wandering in the ruts is dangerous. Any one have a solution?

I have a 78 FJ40. It has always darted all over the road in ruts. I replaced 32 X 11.50 15 inch BF Goodrich TAs with some new 32 X 11.50 15 TAs. It darts when it gets in the ruts in the road. I have recently replaced the bushings in the shackles and I inspected the other ends of the leaf springs and they are in good shape. I had the front end aligned after the new tires were installed. I see a lot of new Jeeps around here with the same tire combination and they handle the ruts OK. I like the look of the wider tires but the wandering in the ruts is dangerous. Any one have a solution?
Do you have a lift, if so you may need to correct the caster with shims (get the steel ones). If no lift then I would check the toe. Should be 1/8" toe in.

Do you have a lift, if so you may need to correct the caster with shims (get the steel ones). If no lift then I would check the toe. Should be 1/8" toe in.

+1

Not enough steering caster will result in that exact symptom.

I have about 2" extended shackle lift. I know the toe in was OK but I am not sure about the caster. I will talk to the alignment technician tomorrow. What kind of caster reading should I be looking for?

What kind of caster reading should I be looking for?
1° is normal/original. 2-4° would be good. I think you have some negative which causes your problem.

I'd get a caster reading, would suspect it would be in the negatives which makes the drive "exciting" in a bad way - once you get that you'll be able to work out if shims will work to fix or if you need to do a cut and turn. If it's only 2" shackles I'd say shims will be suitable

1° is normal/original. 2-4° would be good. I think you have some negative which causes your problem.

In my experience, the taller the tires, the more degrees of caster is needed also.

I have about 2" extended shackle lift. I know the toe in was OK but I am not sure about the caster. I will talk to the alignment technician tomorrow.

A word of warning: many alignment places today have never seen a leaf-sprung vehicle and don't know what to do with them. They probably just blew off the caster because they don't know how to correct it. You need to go to an old-fashioned spring and/or frame shop that knows leaf springs. Most large cities still have at least one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom