Wandering Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Ever since the lift (OME tbars, 866 springs, slee diff drop), the cruiser has started wandering. More specifically, it pulls to the right with power and on-center track is vague. Taking off from a light with intermediate throttle I have to hold left pressure on the wheel. As soon as I let up the truck will pull left unless I release.

Truck tracks straight with braking no matter how hard, so I don't think it's a UCA/LCA bushing issue.

I have a slight rake (maybe 1/2") wondering if perhaps lowering the front a bit more will help? I have not yet checked if rake is equal left/right.

Truck has 79k on it. 295/70R18's on Tundra wheels. I don't feel any bearing play up front.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Edit: Alignment was done after lift. Was way out, now within spec. Haven't touched t-bars since.

Last edited:
I had the same symptoms as you describe, and dropping the front end a bit helped dramatically.

I had the same symptoms as you describe, and dropping the front end a bit helped dramatically.

How much rake did you end up with before the problem diminished?

Lower the front end. My 100 was rather "twitchy" at highway speed, fast lane changes were another story.

Just checked and the rake was nearly neutral on the DS, about 1/2" on the PS. It was equal when I first set it up...must have settled. So I lowered it to 1/2" on the DS to match. If that doesn't cure the problem then I'll start taking down both sides equally in 1/4" increments.

swap the rear springs side to side?

I had a similar issue with 865s, and when I put the Slee 2RHs in it fixed it.

swap the rear springs side to side?

I had a similar issue with 865s, and when I put the Slee 2RHs in it fixed it.

I'm thinkin' it's the front, but I suppose there could be an issue with rear squat as well.

Off topic, but are the OME 725's for real? 1300 lbs load increase for the 200's? Those things must be rocks.

well, add dual spare tires, r-rack, RTT, drawers, fridge, gear, long range tank, water(substitute beer if needed), beer....i can see 1300 increase.

well, add dual spare tires, r-rack, RTT, drawers, fridge, gear, long range tank, water(substitute beer if needed), beer....i can see 1300 increase.

But that's per side! Holy heavy cruiser Batman!

Are you SURE the CASTER is set properly and not just the TOE?

Are you SURE the CASTER is set properly and not just the TOE?

I am confident they say it is!

Specified Caster is 1.0 and it shows 1.3 left and 1.4 right. Spec Toe is -0.05 and both left and right are -0.06

The official caster spec is:

3.08°±0.75°

I could not get mine within spec post lift... 0.4 and 1.6 at best.

Interesting Hose. I had assumed that Les Schwab had the correct numbers in their book. They actually show the opposite: 1.0 specified with a range of 4.0. I'm at 1.3 left, 1.4 right.

I just looked it up in the pdf 2004 FSM that I have and it shows 2.5 +/- 0.75. Does this vary by year?

Regardless, a low caster number would definitely explain the wandering.

I copied the spec out of my '98 LX FSM... but yes, it looks like it is different for the '04 LC.

To add to this, I've noticed that my wheel doesn't center very quickly coming out of a tight corner, particularly when on the gas. I had attributed this to the FT 4WD, but now that I think about it, it's probably the caster (or lack thereof).

Definitely a Caster issue. You're welcome! :D LOL

Well, there is probably more to it than that... when you lift the vehicle, you get more weight transfer. Upon acceleration the front lifts up a little more than usual, the rear squats more than usual. And the further your suspension arms and steering arms are from horizontal, the more toe change there will be... and hence less likely to drive in a straight line.

Toyota engineers had all the suspension/steering all dialed in... and then you came along and change one variable (lift) and screwed it all up!

I'm thinking about dialing in a little extra toe-in on my next alignment to compensate for the extra deflection with taller tires.

I don't dispute your theory that the lift threw Mr. T's hard work out the window. However, if anything there should be less squat now with the 866's in the rear, right?

I'm thinking that I get the t-bars equaled L and R, get the caster back up to as close to spec as possible (per advice here), and - as you also suggested - dial in a little extra toe to help compensate. Good idea!

Oregon- how much lift do you have? I've never liked the tie rod angles on our lifted 100's... bump steer city!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom