1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wallpapering question

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by IDave, Aug 10, 2005.

1. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    I need to glue down the edge of curling off wallpaper in my bathroom. What would the experienced suggest as a glue/medium etc? I'm thinkin' oatmeal paste won't work. It is a humid place, of course, and that is the problem.

Before anyone asks, wallpapering the bathroom was the ex's idea, over my protestations (for just this reason). :D

2. osagecruiser

osagecruiser

idave

check the hardware store they make specialty glues these days...glue for high humidty...vinyl over vinyl ect. i guess anyone of the big home stores would carry it also

osagecruiser :)

3. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

The paint store will have specialty glue that comes in a pink and white tube. We called it 66 when I used to hang wallpaper for a living.

4. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks, I'll check that out!

5. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Dave, I spray the unglued edge with water and let it soak for a couple of minutes before using the edge glue. It makes it easier to smooth the paper back down, that is unless you are using solid vinyl. Most of that edge glue is like Elmer's and I hope you never want to strip that off, cause the newly glued edge will not give it up easily. GL

Ed

6. Jman

Jman

Did you use vinyl wallpaper, or paper? IIRC, the paper is a bad choice for a humid environment, no matter what adhesive you may use.

But you probably already know that.

Any chance you can seal the paper with something? Like a clear acrylic spray? Just a thought if new adhesive doesn't work.

7. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Yah, it's paper. And I know its a bad choice. The compromise (over just paint, which was my choice) was that I got to choose the pattern, so I actually sort of like it.

Ed, I've already tried Elmers. Comes off. I will wet down the edge as you suggest. :D

I'd just pull it off and paint, but I think the glue remnant's gonna look ugly, and the walls untextured (of course).

8. VTFJ40

VTFJ40

Buy or rent a steamer. It gets the glue off as well. Actually worked better than I thought it would.

Had to remove acres of it in the last 2 houses. Luckily, my wife hates the stuff. Tried the chemical remover and it sucked.

9. Jman

Jman

Heh heh, we just ran the shower on super-hot for a while, wallpaper came off pretty easy, used a scouring pad to remove any excess adhesive along the seams. So, as you can see, you're not the only one. . . .

Of course, if you really like the look, I'd suggest testing out a sealant on a section--all you need to do is keep out the moisture.

10. e rock

e rock

I have a severe hatred for all things wallpaper-related. As much as I dislike my cruiser's PO, the house's PO was probably worse.

I found the chemical stuff (Dif I think) to actually work pretty well as long as you are aggressive and consistent with the little rolly-perforator thing. It's got to saturate the paper, but you can't let it dry on there. I wasn't impressed with the steamer trick since it didn't do a very good job of taking the glue off the walls.

At the seams, sometimes the glue took off the wall texture, but nothing a couple cans of spray texture couldn't fix.

IMO, bathrooms should have a couple nice coats of semi-gloss. You're just asking for headaches trying to keep paper hanging.

11. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Steaming it off is too much work right now. I just want to glue down the peeling corners and get back to working on Cruisers.