Wagons Hooooo! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had some time to take a quick look at a map this morning.
Segment 2 could go from Elko to Midas then north over the Santa rosa's via Hinkey summit, back south through the Mc Dermit Indian Reservation to Jungo, then a little further south to pick up the Nobels trail. Not even close to any wagon routes, but who wants to follow the UP tracks from Elko to Winnemucca?

Still a little sketchy on the section from Elko to Midas. It could all be pavemnet and gravel (SR225 to SR 226 to SR789) or mostly gravel (So. to Carlin SR766 north to SR226 etc.) or there a a lot of jeep trails heading basically cross country from SR225. Coal Mine Canyon road looked pretty neat on the topo map.

I had some time to take a quick look at a map this morning.
Segment 2 could go from Elko to Midas then north over the Santa rosa's via Hinkey summit, back south through the Mc Dermit Indian Reservation to Jungo, then a little further south to pick up the Nobels trail. Not even close to any wagon routes, but who wants to follow the UP tracks from Elko to Winnemucca?

Still a little sketchy on the section from Elko to Midas. It could all be pavemnet and gravel (SR225 to SR 226 to SR789) or mostly gravel (So. to Carlin SR766 north to SR226 etc.) or there a a lot of jeep trails heading basically cross country from SR225. Coal Mine Canyon road looked pretty neat on the topo map.

FYI: I have the Delorme 5.0/6.0 topo software that has 3D which makes route planning a little nicer...

FYI: I have the Delorme 5.0/6.0 topo software that has 3D which makes route planning a little nicer...

Neat.

I just have Toposend, the SW I bought that goes with my GPS.

Mostly I use Topozone because I can access it from anywhere.

Neat.

I just have Toposend, the SW I bought that goes with my GPS.

Mostly I use Topozone because I can access it from anywhere.

I'll let you "borrow" it if you want ;)

Subscribing to this thread....

Now, if I can find a way to get myself to the Empire, NV plant for work......

Ali

Last edited:

Now, if I can find a way to get myself to the Empire, NM plant for work......

Ali

Ummm, Empire is in NV dude, not NM:flipoff2: That would be awesome if you can make it.

Jack

Ran across this post while browsing. Sounds like a really interesting trip. I haven't even got my Cruiser off pavement yet but would love to do something like this. Any interest in having a newb tag along...that is if you run it east to west?

MAN, this sounds like a BITCHIN trip!!!!
If its broken up into segments as discussed above, I might be able to make one or two of em!

Chicago

I would love to go but I don't think it would work out with my school schedule. This would be an awesome trip to take, I do have a week off in Ocrober though. . .

Dylan

Now, if I can find a way to get myself to the Empire, NV plant for work......

Ali

MAN, this sounds like a BITCHIN trip!!!!
If its broken up into segments as discussed above, I might be able to make one or two of em!

Chicago

As I see it we will do at least two "pre-runs" and then the real deal.

The pre-runs will be setting the route. That should work for Chicago. The actual run would be in the Fall, after it cools off but before it get to cold for camping. So it may be in the Oct. time frame.

Ali, you wanting to get sent out here permenate like? I've seen IL, didn't look like the idea wheelin terrian, I could see where you might want to come back.

Yeah, but Ali's in New Mexico now. Different from Chicago. We did a snow run last weekend. Ali ended up yanking on a Heep for a bunch of the day (Sorry about that Ali).

You guys doing any runs soon? I might right shotgun if anybody's got room. I'm here in Reno for a few weeks for work. Didn't bring the 40 - no cruise control :)) Driving a rental Kia Sedona...

Last edited:
Ali, you wanting to get sent out here permenate like? I've seen IL, didn't look like the idea wheelin terrian, I could see where you might want to come back.

Nah, I grew up in Reno and don't see myself moving back anytime soon...too close to the parental units :D NM is very similar to Reno I think.

Dan, you gotta take Steve for a cruise in your mondo 40!!!

Ali

Nah, I grew up in Reno and don't see myself moving back anytime soon...too close to the parental units :D NM is very similar to Reno I think.

Dan, you gotta take Steve for a cruise in your mondo 40!!!

Ali

He would have to armwrestle :princess: for the PS seat. ;)

So you city boys wanna come play in my backyard huh :D

You think you can go without Starbucks long enough to make it this far? Sounds like an ambitious trip, especially if you want to start in the dirt in Reno and come across all the way to Elko staying north of I-80. There is a TON of country up there that you wouldn't do justice to if you spent three weeks between Winnemucca, Paradise Valley, Midas, Tuscarora, North Fork, Charleston...

You could also spend an equal amount of time in Nye County and never really get to all the spots worth seeing but for the highlights of the NE corner fo the state let me know what you want when you get more specific about places and times and I'll let you know how little I may know about it.

You should do it DURING chukar season, the best hunting is between Winnemucca and here anyway...

Last year's fire season pretty much wrecked Elko county, you should come take a look and the BLMs managment blunders of epic proportions but sadly a lot of nice country will look pretty bad for a couple years yet...

I'll keep an eye on this thread and let me know if I can help :beer:

It's okay we will be okay W/O Starbucks, I have a portable espresso machine.:flipoff2:

Fall is the best time to head out IMHO. Not to hot and none of the mud issues that you run into in the spring. I'm not a hunter but I always look forward to bird season.

Thanks for the offer of guidence, I'm pretty sure we could use some help.

So you city boys wanna come play in my backyard huh :D

You think you can go without Starbucks long enough to make it this far? Sounds like an ambitious trip, especially if you want to start in the dirt in Reno and come across all the way to Elko staying north of I-80. There is a TON of country up there that you wouldn't do justice to if you spent three weeks between Winnemucca, Paradise Valley, Midas, Tuscarora, North Fork, Charleston...

You could also spend an equal amount of time in Nye County and never really get to all the spots worth seeing but for the highlights of the NE corner fo the state let me know what you want when you get more specific about places and times and I'll let you know how little I may know about it.

You should do it DURING chukar season, the best hunting is between Winnemucca and here anyway...

Last year's fire season pretty much wrecked Elko county, you should come take a look and the BLMs managment blunders of epic proportions but sadly a lot of nice country will look pretty bad for a couple years yet...

I'll keep an eye on this thread and let me know if I can help :beer:

I personally don't drink the crap and while I live in Reno, I grew up outside of a town of about 500, on a good day, in the hills of northwest Arkansas, so not so sure I qualify as a city boy, besides you are assuming that none of us have been out that way before:flipoff2: (Let's keep the hillbilly jokes out of this).

Seriously, I've been out that way a couple of months ago, but just through Elko and south to Ely, did the fire make it up towards Jarbidge? Now that is some beautiful country.

I with Dan, I'm too lazy to hunt, and I think this is more of a pioneer trail type run, not so much the full on explore every last road type trip. Hope we can meet up and you can give us some good pointers on some of the stuff we might miss, without having the personal knowledge.:cheers:

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom