W56 5 speed trans spitting oil out shifter hole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2ndGenToyotaFan

Threads
Website
www.jeffersonstatecruisers.com
What the title says... The trans is not overfilled, and all the gaskets appear to be in place and working. The oil looks like it's coming right out the very top where the shifter goes in.

There is a curved washer at the very top, but when it's in 1,2,5,R there is a hole that opens up in the corners of the shifter housing... If that makes sense... Nothing seems out of the ordinary though. I'm going to go run it with all the boots off soon and watch it to see if I can see what's going on.

If anyone has any ideas about what might be the problem, I'd like to hear them.

Is there a vent on these transmissions?

Is it after it's run a whine? Or all the time?

Depending on the year of the trans, they vent through the shifter itself. If you unscrew the knob, you'll see the vent hole. Maybe yours is plugged and its venting where it shouldn't?

Your redneck side would, wouldn't it... :D

Update, I took it for a spin today with all the boots off and could not get the oil to come out the shifter hole... So maybe it was a fluke... I'm hoping anyway.

So very strange though. The oil was leaking down both sides of the trans, which would confirm a centered leak at the top, which would say it's the shifter hole. But now it won't do it... Maybe it's just the Toyota Gods testing my faith... Time will tell I guess.

Same Problem '89 4runner

Just wondering if you figured out the problem? Mine also looks like it's leaking through the shift hole

Thanks

Sorry, I ended up changing transmissions due to the revers clunking issue it had as well... Never figured out the oil issue... The only thing that makes sense is overfull. There's no breather to plug, and the trans guts are either where they are supposed to be and working, or they are not..... ?????? I hope you can figure it out! :cheers:

I may have a suggestion / insight?
My question first is, has this leaking transmission ever been rebuilt?

here is why i ask. i am in the middle of rebuilding my w56 trans. i got the whole bearing / seal / gasket / and syncros from MSR for 225 bucks. Everything OEM quality or better, stem to stern. nice kit.

anyways, i noticed that one of the bearings in my rebuild kit is slightly different than the original bearing (what i am guessing is original). it is the koyo bearing on the rear of the lay shaft. my original one had a metal SHIELD on one side and was open on the other. The new bearing has two plastic SEALS. I was confused as i dont think there should be a need for a completely sealed bearing in a transmission as there are no contaminants and pleanty of lubricant obviously. Then i found this thread.

I have a theory... if that bearing is SEALED then a large amount of oil will pool up behind it, rather than flowing through the metal shield that was intended. what is at the top of this "pool area"? why the shifter lever hole of course!!! the higher level of oil (due to the incorrect sealed bearing) could be getting slung out of the top of the housing and leaking down the side.

Cause mine has the metal shield on one side and did not leak out of the top of the transmission....just sounded like a meat grinder lol.

this is just a theory though. thats why i want to know if your trans has been rebuilt and do you know which bearing was used? i might be leaning towards taking both seals off completely. but i need to find out what will happen back there if there is less oil.

but that is where i stand now. just my two cents.:meh: take it or leave it.

Last edited:
Wow... that certainly could be the issue... my trans that was leaking was a big question mark. I got the truck with 200k + on it and no records... It only seemed to leak after time on the highway, which would make you think that oil was being thrown up there by something at high speed that was not happening at low speed.... If I get bored I'll pull the trans apart... :cheers:

So, I have to put my transmission back together. So I needed an answer.
Called Marlin Crawler and requested to just ask Marlin a question. They said i should email him and he would get back to me.

So i did. The response I got was that the original toyota bearing had a metal shield on one side, like the one i found in my transmission.
Toyota later changed to the sealed bearing for longer bearing life. So i doubt that it would cause the leaky oil issue, as toyota wouldnt allow for a change that caused a leak. there must be something else going on there.

anyways, back to assembling my transmission.
later

you said a hole opens up when in certain gears?
if im imagining that right, it may be from the rubber mat under the shift assembly MISSING the metal grommets. and the only way theyd be gone is if one day u took out that assembly and they fell out..

i dunno. i guess since yer beyond this trans, any info is irrelevant. but it certainly is an odd ball

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom