VX Auto Climate Control - Recirc not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having trouble with the climate controls in the 80, Aussie VX model with the auto button in the centre of the switchboard and Auto ECU under the dash, recirc doesn't seem to do anything, stuck in recirc mode. Not the worst problem to have, but I hate having anything not working regardless of using it or not.

I've tried setting the switch to Manual instead of Auto on the back of the switch, that gets the switch to change from fresh to recirc fine, lights work etc, but doesn't actuate the servo. In auto mode the switch will stay depressed but the light doesn't change. In either mode the servo doesn't get a different signal when the recirc button is depressed, constant 12v at the yellow power wire and solid blue wire, nothing changes so I'm guessing the servo is fine.

At this point I've still got to test the servo by jumping the trigger wires, not too well versed on how servos work but I'm assuming the blue wires trigger the servo to rotate to either limit.

Read a lot about leaky windshields damaging the Auto AC ECU, this shell sat in a field for a little while with the windows down before I found it, so water damage is possible, but everything else seems to work fine. Looking at the EWD I don't think having the switch in manual mode will make any difference if the ECU is damaged, I'll post some photo's the relevant diagrams later.

Worst case I'll need to fix the ECU or bypass the recirc wires, or is there something I'm missing?

Hey Gerry,

Might be way too late, but I'm playing around with my AC after stripped gears in the A/C blend actuator became too annoying and pulled the dash to investigate.

Found that my recirc/fresh door wasn't actuating even though the controls would change the light when the button was pressed.

There's actually 2 little switches under the recirc button. In my case (also an Aussie VX), the left is a grey toggle (returns to position, doesn't stay clicked in), and the right is a blue set switch which does stay in. By removing the button altogether, I played with depressing those switches and found that the grey switch is the one which will actuate the door. In Auto mode it will both actuate the door and toggle the light. In Manual mode it will actuate the door and NOT toggle the light, but the blue switch will toggle light... so in manual mode you need the button to be pushing both the switches down simultaneously to trigger actuation + light flipping.

Now the button assembly has this little clip in it that is meant to clip on to one of the blue/grey switches. In my truck it was connected to the blue switch, and does not depress in far enough to toggle the grey switch. Luckily you can pull that clip out and install it in reverse, so the button now presses in the grey switch and door moves.

It seems feasible that the button might have the clip that would press both switches simultaneously and thus be perfect for manual mode... but I only have my own car to go off.

Last edited:
when i switched to manual mode on my auto system it did not allow me to use recirculate.I went back to auto and it all works the way it was suppose to. Don't know why figured it was they way the system is made , or a defect in the board

Thanks for the response Tyx!

I actually got mine sorted, tested it with another known working control panel and it's all good, but I haven't investigated further. I'll have a crack at it during the week, cheers again mate.

Those control panels seem to be worth like $300, so if you can get em both going properly, either got some pocket money or a handy spare! Hope it's something that simple :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom