VW TDI into a 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The TDI automatic is likely the slowest passenger car on the market. The stick is a little rocket. I've driven both.

I don't think it would make a good swap though. My reason is one that I didn't see mentioned above. While the 1.9 TDI has more HP AND more torque, they both peak at higher RPMs. Not suitable for low RPM 4WD applications.

My TDI golf was not slow. It had the auto, but still was a rocket. Had loads of torque and was a great car.

I still think it is too small for a 60 though. But might be possible in a 40.

I like my cylinders in a line, any engine with a V or W to discribe it, isn't what I want... Your driving a glorified cracker box, that has terrible ergonomics. I realize 3B's are super underpowered and it might just be where I live, but I'm just the type of person that doesn't mind being in the low lane.

After all the problems I've herd of with VW electronics, water pump failures, etc etc... I just like an old machnical diesel, just my 2 cents...

The VW TDI engines are incredible pieces of machinery, and I for one can't wait until they bring their high performance versions into N/A - particularly in the AWD Jetta that is available in Europe.

People discuss torque and HP numbers as if they were not related, but Hp is simply torque x rpm (divided by a constant, which depends on the units you choose to play with). A single number doesn't describe the performance of an engine, and the real world drivability of a vehicle is more related to the shape of the torque curve and the vehicle gearing.

The real issue for long term reliability, is the rpm you need to spin to get the performance you want.

A 1.9 TDI can likely move a 80 acceptably - But driving around town in low range gets old quick! :grinpimp:

Mountain Goat - you should do yourself a favour and drive a TDI Jetta/Golf - your data is at least a decade old..

the torque curve and the vehicle gearing.

Point .. I thought a 1.9 engine with 5.38 and 33" and Low Transfer geas keep the power band nice to move quite easy the Cruiser .. of course with a 10 speed gearbox :D

Point .. I thought a 1.9 engine with 5.38 and 33" and Low Transfer geas keep the power band nice to move quite easy the Cruiser .. of course with a 10 speed gearbox :D

This how the older Dyna trucks were set up. Little 2 litre engines (and 1.6:D ) with very low gearing ,but a top speed of 105klm with the engine doing 4000 rpm.:D

It works ok until you hit a really steep hill and you have to go back to 2-3 rd gear and even 1st on mine sometimes::eek::eek::eek:

This how the older Dyna trucks were set up. Little 2 litre engines (and 1.6:D ) with very low gearing ,but a top speed of 105klm with the engine doing 4000 rpm.:D

It works ok until you hit a really steep hill and you have to go back to 2-3 rd gear and even 1st on mine sometimes::eek::eek::eek:

I remeber when I drove a UNIMOG 435 with 6L 3.0 engine nat aspirated .. to move a 4 ton truck ? ( I'm not sure if it's rated 4 ton but is huge ) the issue is it have 8 speeds .. and when it was empty you can start in 3 or 4 speed and shift to 6 at fast ..

Top speed 80km/h ..

The VW TDI engines are incredible pieces of machinery, and I for one can't wait until they bring their high performance versions into N/A - particularly in the AWD Jetta that is available in Europe.

People discuss torque and HP numbers as if they were not related, but Hp is simply torque x rpm (divided by a constant, which depends on the units you choose to play with). A single number doesn't describe the performance of an engine, and the real world drivability of a vehicle is more related to the shape of the torque curve and the vehicle gearing.

The real issue for long term reliability, is the rpm you need to spin to get the performance you want.

A 1.9 TDI can likely move a 80 acceptably - But driving around town in low range gets old quick! :grinpimp:

Mountain Goat - you should do yourself a favour and drive a TDI Jetta/Golf - your data is at least a decade old..

I have. I almost bought one a few months ago. I fact I drove several, including a spanky new '06 TDI Jetta. My data is based on those experiences. I liked the car a lot, but I don't think it has the juice to move a car that weighs twice what a jetta does.

Dare I say that we opted for a diesel Jeep for the :princess: ? The decision was largely economic. We liked the Jetta more, but didn't want to spend what it would have cost.

I know of some guys that put the 1.9TDI into Sammis all the time and have good results, but the Sammi is a dinky little thing compared to the 80 series. Even a 40 is heavy metal compared to the samurai.

Last week I ran across a German dude on a NG tour in Nebraska. He had a V10 TDI Toureg as their fuel carrier. I asked him about it. All he said was "Ya, it's speedy." Then he jumped in, spun his tires and was gone in seconds. I've never seen a big diesel brick move so fast.

I remeber when I drove a UNIMOG 435 with 6L 3.0 engine nat aspirated .. to move a 4 ton truck ? ( I'm not sure if it's rated 4 ton but is huge ) the issue is it have 8 speeds .. and when it was empty you can start in 3 or 4 speed and shift to 6 at fast ..

Top speed 80km/h ..

Did it have the portal axles where you can swap the upper and low drive gears in the hub?
Its such a cool set up:D

There will be lots of mogs for sale in oz soon The army is switching to another 4wd truck,Hino Ranger 4x4:grinpimp:.
So there will be 2000 mogs unwanted:grinpimp:

Did it have the portal axles where you can swap the upper and low drive gears in the hub?
Its such a cool set up:D

I'm a MOG lover .. are awesome toys .. and yes are Toys .. are not long travel rig IMOP .. and you need to spend a lot's of $$$ if you want make it compfortable ..

I thought expensive and heavyest rig .. ( out of this size ) but definately awesome mahines ..

DB%20Unimog%20435%20U%201300%20L%20250.JPG

http://www.inter-commerz.com/ich/deutsch/023.html

435turbo7.jpg

I've been thinking hard about a 1.9 in an older mini truck or 4Runner for a swap down the line.

My cummins is .5L smaller than the original F and it pushes the truck harder than the F ever could. A 1.9 vs a 22r(e) would kick ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom