VW TDI into a 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, just wondering what the thoughts are on a 2000 vw tdi into a fj80? I have a line on a engine and was wondering if I should jump on it. With all the aftermarket parts out there, the engine can really be tunned in.

the 1.9L? or the 2.0L? Or the V10 TDi? first two won't cut it in a Land Cruiser, in my opinion. The V10 TDi would be a NICE swap. Been talked about here before...

The 1.9 TDi IMOP would not be a ideal engine for a swap.

I was thinking the 1.9 because I would think the v10 is pricey. Have not looking into it yet.

If I remember well some guy in the hardcore corner do something like that with audi gasser engine .. V8 .. pretty much electronic stuff to deal.

I was thinking the 1.9 because I would think the v10 is pricey. Have not looking into it yet.

There is a reason Toyota chose 4.2 and 4.5 litre engines.
Nissan Patrol went from a 4.2 to a 3.0 TD and they are having problems with pistons grenading.
The Nissan Patrol is now called the Nissan Kaboom:D

If I remember well some guy in the hardcore corner do something like that with audi gasser engine .. V8 .. pretty much electronic stuff to deal.

Yep, that was likely me. i put an Audi 2.8 V6 into my 40. now that i got the knock sensor thing figured out i'm able to run positive timing. the ECM would retard the timing to -21 degrees if there was a knock sensor problem, so the power was about the same as my 2F at first. Now i have 200 real horse on tap, runs awesome. 8K redline is nice too.

go with the VW TDI if you've got some wiring specs, the adapter plates would be your greatest challenge, but obviously possible to overcome.

The larger (Toyota, nissan) displacement is a substitute for lesser power, but the reliability trade off of a lower tuned engine has to be considered. remember that a fully dressed 2F weighs in at about 800#. my 2.8 weighs 350 fully loaded. I had to reduce some pressure in my airshox to compensate the lesser weight.

There is a reason Toyota chose 4.2 and 4.5 litre engines.
Nissan Patrol went from a 4.2 to a 3.0 TD and they are having problems with pistons grenading.
The Nissan Patrol is now called the Nissan Kaboom:D

Does engine displacement have an effect on the car it's pushing?

I mean, with a 1.9 +chip, it should be easy to run more power than a 3B, but other than power issues, what other things would have to be considered?

Even the 150HP Euro 1.9 wouldnt be enough.

There is no replacement for displacement!

And remember, I have a 146HP 1.9 liter TDI.

but other than power issues, what other things would have to be considered?

Things like surface area of the bearings and the abilty of the cooling system to keep it cool( a big radiator will not help the flow) and a squillion other reasons:rolleyes:

Look at it logically. Would Toyota,Nissan,Ford,GM spend all that time, effort and $$$$ building large motors for their trucks if it could be done with something the size of a briefcase:D

VW have interests in European long haul trucks(MAN ,DAF, Iveco?) and they use 4-8 litre engines in them,not 1.9 Jetta engines.

I dont like dumping on peoples ideas but Im sure as hell are not going to encourage them to go ahead where I see serious pitfalls;)

Things like surface area of the bearings and the abilty of the cooling system to keep it cool( a big radiator will not help the flow) and a squillion other reasons:rolleyes:

Look at it logically. Would Toyota,Nissan,Ford,GM spend all that time, effort and $$$$ building large motors for their trucks if it could be done with something the size of a briefcase:D

VW have interests in European long haul trucks(MAN ,DAF, Iveco?) and they use 4-8 litre engines in them,not 1.9 Jetta engines.

I dont like dumping on peoples ideas but Im sure as hell are not going to encourage them to go ahead where I see serious pitfalls;)

Ah that makes sense. I always thought it was more advanced which is why it makes more power and a 3B does not :lol:

Ah that makes sense. I always thought it was more advanced which is why it makes more power and a 3B does not :lol:

Heavier duty diesels also have thicker blocks with re inforceing to handle all that torque.(one of the differences between 3B ,14B and 15B)
As each pistons fires ,it wants to twist the block one way and when the other pistons fire ,they want to twist the block in the other direction.

With all the extra weight on the rear wheels causing resistance,something got to give,either the vehicle moves forward or something breaks.

Also,bigger bearings rob engines of power due to the increased surface area.
Ive heard it can be as much as 20 hp in V8 gassers which is one of the differences in some truck V8s and performance v8s

Just throwing in my $0.02...I think that if you could get the V6 TDI offered in the European Toureag that would make a descent swap. And with the new BlueTec that is coming out next year you may even be able to get one here in the US.

Heavier duty diesels also have thicker blocks with re inforceing to handle all that torque.(one of the differences between 3B ,14B and 15B)
As each pistons fires ,it wants to twist the block one way and when the other pistons fire ,they want to twist the block in the other direction.

With all the extra weight on the rear wheels causing resistance,something got to give,either the vehicle moves forward or something breaks.

Also,bigger bearings rob engines of power due to the increased surface area.
Ive heard it can be as much as 20 hp in V8 gassers which is one of the differences in some truck V8s and performance v8s

This is the part that gets me though, the 1.9 has more torque than a 3B doesn't it? I think mine (3B) has 166lb.ft @ 2200RPM?? whereas the stock 1.9 has 177lb.ft @ 1,800RPm, with a chip, it can put out more than that.

Thus, shouldn't the torque from the engine itself cause issues at stock, let alone the chipped ones?

I guess there is still the issue of moving a much heavier vehicle when you mention the extra weight in the back and cooling and etc etc etc.

I guess there is still the issue of moving a much heavier vehicle when you mention the extra weight in the back and cooling and etc etc etc.

Thats it.
However VW makes great hi tech diesels and the technology does make up it for it somewhat.
The B family of diesels hark back to the 60s

I don't mean to be "Mr. Poopie Pants" but this sounds like a bad application for what is a really sweet passanger car motor. The TDI jetta is already like the slowest car sold in the US and to put it in a vehical that is sooo much heavier..... I dunno. I just doesn't seem like the right application. Both the 80 and the TDI are very cool- but together I'm not sure.

There is no replacement for displacement!

great fack of life ..

I thought the most important issue are not the HP .. are the torque .. !

The torque make you star moving huge tires .. and keep moving it in the same shift in your tranny no matter what you are doing in a rock or in a deep sticky mud hole.

I used to tow heavy a lot with a 3.5 liter v8 gasser many years ago and i could never understand how a 2litre diesel with half the hp towed easier & better, then i saw the light and passed to the dark side:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom