VW 1.9 TDI diesel in a cruiser. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can't see going through the effort to transplant that or anything else that only generates 200hp/300ftlbs into an 80. That is basically stock 1FZ power figures granted a diesel in theory should be better at delivering it.

The 80 basically needs that much power just to move it around at a snails pace so I doubt you'd see great mpg numbers as it's going to be working at peak power a lot. Our trucks may have rolled off the assembly line at 4900lbs but most have gained weight with age. Mine's pushing 7000lbs.

I'd look into a larger displacement engine designed for truck applications. Isuzu or other.

Last edited:
There's at least one successful Fuso swap in an 80. And apparently there are certain bell housings from mitsubishi commercial trucks that will mate to the A442F gearbox.

a Deutz swap could be fun stuff but would make cummins swaps look smooth and quiet.

its doable.... a ALH motor can almost do 400lbs with bolts-ons.

There isn't an adapter out there to mate it to a cruiser trans though, so if you wanted off the self parts you would have to convert to a mini truck running gear combo and I don't know how that would stand up to the added stress from the weight of an 80 series.

Agreed..... but it'd be fun if ya' had cubic $$ .....

Got to check out an oil cooled deutz powered 70 series the other day. Pretty crazy!

Yeah. It's basically a small train engine. Wacky that you can replace cylinders and pistons without removing the engine from the vehicle!

I understand the allure of a diesel. I suggest you look through the diesel-repower thread at the top of this forum.

If I were to do it, I would either go for a Toyota Turbo Diesel (for ease of installation), or I'd do a Mercedes 617A swap with a manual tranny, OR an AM General 6500 Optimizer. The Optimizer can easily do 450-600++ ft-lbs of torque, and since I have driven a Tahoe with a 6.5 diesel, I can tell you that it is easy to get 9 second 0-60 times and likely have 17-19 MPG to boot... with a LOT of low-end torque, which is what you want.

Good luck, I personally would NOT attempt what you are thinking about. It would be a true slug.... yes you may be able to coax some more HP and torque, but it won't be pleasant.

Muddy1

Not worth it, if you don;'t like Cummins for some reason. Go isuzu or go mercedes. Much more viable engines with lots of people doing them which equates to saving time and money in your build. BTW you should go with a Cummins. :cheers:
I was actually looking at some Isuzu box trucks for the swap ideas too... I was just seeing if anyone had been bold enough to think outside the box and do that particular swap and what the results were. I most likely will go with a 1kz-to and hybrid pump. I'm just hesitant to because of parts availability. If I go another route it will probably be isuzu.

I was actually looking at some Isuzu box trucks for the swap ideas too... I was just seeing if anyone had been bold enough to think outside the box and do that particular swap and what the results were. I most likely will go with a 1kz-to and hybrid pump. I'm just hesitant to because of parts availability. If I go another route it will probably be isuzu.

No one is raining on your parade. We've just been around the bloc, ya know? :cheers:

I've done a MTDI VW in an early Toy truck, made the adaptor to the Toy TRANS, really easy, but even with lots of tweets it isn't a powerhouse. It's very cool but not the kind of power needed for over #4000.
But a cummins or box truck engine would suffice.
For many reasons I'm going with LS power though.

A 1 KZ? ..I don't get the fascination of starting with a small cubic inch nugget.
Find a more suitable engine for hauling around an 80.
There is a reason Toyota stuffed a 4.2 in there standard.:confused:
At least stick a 4BD1 Isuzu if you don't want a Mercedes or Cummins as Driver mentioned.

If you are really fired-up to do it, I'd say be prepared to do some fabrication yourself and go for it.

Personally, I'd rather put something in that will generate substantially more power and torque... The stock gasser engine is decent, but I think it would be a complete hoot to drive something with an LS or a Turbo Cummins in it. LS for raw HP and speed, and the Cummins if you really wanted to crank out some serious torque numbers.

Good luck!

Muddy1

I have a hilux surf with a 1kz and they are ok but I wouldn't put one in anything as heavy as an 80. It has a cracked head right now and just about any used 1kz you buy will have a cracked head. I also have a surf with the 2lte and am half way through replacing it with a 1uz. The 2lte is gutless. Toyota diesels are a bitch to find parts for in the US and aren't great engines. The 1HD and 1Hz are good but the parts problem comes into play again.

I have a hilux surf with a 1kz and they are ok but I wouldn't put one in anything as heavy as an 80. It has a cracked head right now and just about any used 1kz you buy will have a cracked head. I also have a surf with the 2lte and am half way through replacing it with a 1uz. The 2lte is gutless. Toyota diesels are a bitch to find parts for in the US and aren't great engines. The 1HD and 1Hz are good but the parts problem comes into play again.
That's a fair assessment.

Again, I'd go again for the 6.5 AM General Optimizer:
* Readily-available parts (it uses components from the 6.2 and 6.5 GM diesel family... over 1M of them were produced... and are still in production for boats, etc.). You can get a NEW long block without breaking the bank.
* AM General has fixed the various problems that plagued the old 6.5 GM diesels.
* Capable of reasonable amounts of power and torque. I would say 300HP and 450-500 lb-ft of torque are easily-achievable numbers.
* Inexpensive to fix and to get accessories for. (e.g. Full set of new injectors are under $700, vs. $800 for a SINGLE Duramax DI injector)
* Easy to work on... I used to own TWO of them.
* Reliable.
* Easily chipped, or made into a manual injection system.
* Fits into the 80 chassis.
* Can run the GM 4L80 tranny, which is quite robust.

Muddy1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom