VVTI camshaft seal question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a comprehensive timing belt parts list going for my 2006 lc (vvti):

Should i replace the camshaft seals (there are 2)? My understanding from watching otramm’s youtube (part 2) is that the cam has to come out to replace them.

This work will be performed with the engine in the vehicle btw and i’m unsure how difficult this process is and how much time is typically required.

Thanks!

I did them on my LS430 which is the same way. PITA but not unmanageable. Just take lots of pictures and mark in multiple places with a paint pen. If you're adept enough to do the timing belt service you shouldn't have any issues with replacing them. Video I used:

I had a leaking one (2006) and that’s the only reason to touch them. AND A WARNING our camshafts are very delicate and one of mine was broken by the mechanic. Toyota no longer makes this part as of last summer. I had to buy used and it was a fiasco.

Lesson is, do not chance these if they don’t leak.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I have stopped my cam seal leak with some atp 205. Either it worked, or I have become immune to the smell of burning oil and found an oilproof alternators.

I think the cam seal gasket has the right type of rubber to get refreshed with the glycol ethers.

205 did not work for me and the longer story is that passenger side was replaced once during a timing job, still leaked and when the shop warrantied the repair is when they broke the camshaft... The needed repair initial should have been the seal as well as the ring the seal sits on. You can either get a new end of the camshaft, or a new race to push on... I opted for the new camshaft end.

Leave it alone

If cam seals are NOT leaking, leave it alone. I am at 240K miles (non VVTi) still OEM seals all around!
I saw a video on you tube, and the replacement is not that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom