VSS for TBI conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know if the old maintenace due sensor will work as a vss input for a tbi conversion?

I did the JTR VSS...you need the speedo extentino cable to run it. (see my tech writeup on it)

Not sure it's necessary with a stick, more necessary with an auto.

Hey im running the old cruise signal generator out of a 91 Lc in my fj55 to power the ecu speed circut but i am also using a 01 Lc v8 motor so the signals are similar. The vss for this is a 4 pulse reed swich. I think many of the chevys are also. I have more info on this subject let me know if you need more

I think you really only need VSS for EGR, cruise, A/T. A desmogged M/T will run fine w/o it.

Now, for using the speed marker on the Land Cruiser, you would need to convert the 4 pulse per rev to 2 pulse per rev. I tried but couldn't get it to work. I went the JTR route too.

You already have a VSS in your FJ60 that works fine for this conversion. All the GM computer really needs is a signal from this indicating that you are moving. As mentioned earlier the VSS produces double the impulses of what the GM one does. So the stock one works fine. The only problem you will run into is when you hook up something like WINALDL to monitor your vehicle. It will tell you that you are going twice as fast as you actually are. I am told that the other use for the VSS signal is when you are using the highway cruising mode. This mode is activated at certain speeds and you would need to be able to enter the higher speed into the eprom program. Don't know if that works though.

Ok so this is an old thread but was wondering if anyone has anything to add??? Looking to run a VSS but want to make sure A I need it and B which one I need.

I am running a 350 TBI out of a 1988 Chevy truck and have a 700r4 tranny thanks for any help

Tim

try downey off road, i have one of there old catalogs and they make several VSS adapters or setups depending if you need 2 pulse or 4 pulse or what tranny you are running and if 4 bolt rear extension or 6 bolt on the 700R4 or 4L60E. there catalog has a lot of info on it, to much to post here so call them or try there web site www.downeyoff-road.com or call 562-949-9494 good luck! wish i could help more but i have not gone TBI or TPI yet.

The VSS can be programmed out of the ECM/PROM. Depending where you reside you may or not need it to pass smog testing. The TBI portion of the ECM/programming doesn't care if you are moving or at what speed.

See that is part of my question/problem....I do have to pass smog here in the great state of Cali and just wanted to gather as much info as I can..thanks for all the help...

I'm still a little unclear on this too. Smog isn't an issue for me, so i'm not worried about that. I have a 93 tbi 350 from a blazer that was originally mated to I believe a 4l60e. I plan on a howell harness and running either the stock cruiser 4spd or an nv4500. Depends on how much cash is on hand when I am finally able to do the swap. Do I even need a VSS? Howell only mentions it for autos too, but the downey catalog kinda makes me wonder. Seems like a lot changed between 92 and 93. I'm starting to wonder if it might be easier to just run a carb. or if I don't need a VSS , do I have to change the eprom to one for a standard? This all seemed like it would be easy until I started reading all this stuff.

I am running a 93 TBI 350 to an SM 465... I run the JTR VSS. I had one of those neat little elbow fittings from an old car that turned the VSS upwards and cleared my skid plate but the reed inside broke when my speedo cable burned against the manifold :crybaby:

ECM threw a code for VSS...upon decelleration (sp), the code would come up and it would run poorly, I notched my ckid plate, hooked up the JTR VSS and viola! no code and runs great..

The VSS does affect other sensors at particular speeds, especially taking a 350 for an auto tranny to a manual.. I changed the PROM to a manual PROM and again, viola! idles fine and runs perfect.

Let me know if I can help, I have the PROM part number from GM that worked well for me.

Buenas Suerte!

I should explain myself better I guess. I am a GM idiot :) I had the swap done and am now trying to tie up some loose ends. I don't have a VSS and trying to figure out if I need one and if so which one... The truck seems to run ok but I always have a check engine light and without a scanner have no idea why the light is on....The truck starts and runs fine but within a few minutes the light comes on...Guess I should find someone with a scanner before I throw any money at the truck...thanks guys...guess I am doing this a little backwards... :beer:

Webster said:
You already have a VSS in your FJ60 that works fine for this conversion. All the GM computer really needs is a signal from this indicating that you are moving. As mentioned earlier the VSS produces double the impulses of what the GM one does. So the stock one works fine. The only problem you will run into is when you hook up something like WINALDL to monitor your vehicle. It will tell you that you are going twice as fast as you actually are. I am told that the other use for the VSS signal is when you are using the highway cruising mode. This mode is activated at certain speeds and you would need to be able to enter the higher speed into the eprom program. Don't know if that works though.

where is the vss on FJ60's?
I need more info....
Butch

Texican,

Glad that you joined this thread...you are the man and will allow me to learn from your knowledge.....thanks

calfj60 said:
Texican,

Glad that you joined this thread...you are the man and will allow me to learn from your knowledge.....thanks

Well I'm honored, but still desire webster to share the VSS info off an FJ60 with us, I have never hooked the VSS up on all my TBI conversions, but all are manual trans, doing my first auto now. so I'll find out if there are issues without one on this one.
Butch

Great news, Butch

Please keep us poorly informed wrenchers informed...

Thanks

I just talked to my contact at Howell-Efi to get the lowdown on my engine swap. Its a 2001 4.3 vortec, and he told me I need a vss. They sell them, so thats not a problem. He indicated he cannot program out the need for it, on the ecm I will use. Failureto use one will result in codes being thrown, but NO trouble otherwise. Earlier 7471227 ecms didn't require one.

Butch, You the man!

How did you dig up that web site Butch? Great detail. Fabricate a speed sensor....cool :eek: :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom