{SOLVED} VSCTRAC/VSCOFF/VGRS lights all on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am assuming that plugging in Techstream can better help me diagnose the problem?

What are the effects of VSC being off and VGRS off? Is this driveable until I can figure it out?

Could missing the reservoir cap be causing all these problems?

Techstream:

IMG_0798.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

I am at a loss. I just had to order a reservoir cap. Techstream led me the LH front right sensor. And this troubleshooting page. Really grasping at straws now.

IMG_0800.PNG

IMG_0801.PNG

OK. Hopefully not too soon, but all the lights are and everything is working fine now. Only code is the airbag which is a recall thing anyway. I don't know if I did anything for real that fixed it. Took apart driver mirro and put it back together. Left the battery unconnected overnight. Then fired up Techstream to make sure everything is good to go and reset codes. Fingers crossed.

Well it was too soon. I went outside to go grab lunch, and the three lights are back on. I have been driving around with the dash still torn apart, but before I left just now, I plugged in the panel that has the hazard button on it back in...The only thing I plugged back up other than the AHC the last time I posted about this problem. I think I am going to have to resort to taking it in and having it looked at.

I will be dropping it off at the local Toyota dealership Monday morning...Hopefully they give a run down of what is wrong and what needs to be done.

Anybody ever change a steering angle sensor on a 2006? That's what the dealership is saying...and also saying $1300 to fix it! I really hope this can be done by myself, if I can find the help here. Currently searching.

I can't find anything anywhere. Being as this is my daily drive, AND I want it ship shape for HIH, I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and have the dealership do it. They also wanted $300 to replace the driver's window actuator because my window is sitting crooked. I'll deal with that later.

AAAAAANNNDDDDD they put in the steering angle sensor....only to find out the steering control computer needs replacement. Does anybody know the flow of power in this system. They originally told me they had power going to the steering angle sensor but not out of it. I am wondering if the steering control computer was the problem the whole time. They are wanting another $1800 to fix that part. This is costing me $3,000 so far to get fixed. Pretty upset about this whole thing.

I don't have an FSM (damn sure can't afford it now!), Can't find much on google wither. I'm hoping someone on here can tell me if the steering control computer being bad, will make it look like the steering angle sensor is bad?

Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks!

You may have already looked at it but if you search "VGRS" by @nnnnnate you'll find a few diagnostics pages Ive previously posted which should point you down the correct fault finding path. Also, you'll see that he resolved his VGRS issue with a $200 pre loved ECU.

I've searched the thread and looked over the pdf's. The stupid question I have is of the steering control computer is the same as the vgrs ecu. I have to think they are. We went to pick my truck up today as the dealer said it was ready. Got there and all the lights popped back on. They have replaced the steering angle sensor and the steering control computer. Total bill so far is $3,400. I asked them to let me know what systems fall in the troubleshooting tree from that one damn fuse that keeps blowing. I don't have any money to pay for what has been worked on so far, so any more work that is going to get done is probably going to be myself.

Hoping it's something stupid like the led's I put underneath are messing with a ground or something. This is getting to be too much for me to handle.

I'm thinking I might sell it and eat the cost of whatever it is that needs to be fixed. I am at a loss. I have no idea what to do. This truck has been at the shop for the last two weeks. It's so close to HIH and I would not take it very well if can't make it because my 2006 is a POS.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated guys. Should I just go get it and drive it home? It's my DD so any work I would do at home would have to be around driving it to work...and that's if it's even something I can troubleshoot. Wiring is very much not my thing. I don't know. Maybe I take out another credit card and put it all on that.

@aaronrules Check the 10A ECU B fuse in passenger side kick panel - when it blows you loose control of everything you've mentioned.

@PADDO i noticed you helped a lot with @nnnnnate's problem. Do you happen to have anything that says what all systems are connected to that fuse?

Hate to hear you're having this trouble. Especially when the dealer is nothing more than a glorified parts changer. Good luck man.

Can you try unplugging everything possible in that circuit? Starting with the mirrors.

@PADDO i noticed you helped a lot with @nnnnnate's problem. Do you happen to have anything that says what all systems are connected to that fuse?
There's a section in the FSM which lists the systems and functions associated back to that fuse, I'll pull it up for you.
Edit. @aaronrules you can see all the pages referenced back to the ECU B2 fuse - you really need the EWD to track down the high current draw or short.
IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

Last edited:
I'm going with ecu b1 or b2 and --the op put leds in the combination meter.
Where did you put new bulbs, and when did the fuse start blowing, and is it continually blowing. There are ecu fuses both sides I'm guessing, if LC is same as LX.
You really need the paper wiring book and the paper manual. Good luck man.
I wonder if the car would even start without ecu IG1??
One shorted light bulb ruined me for 4 days.

I've searched the thread and looked over the pdf's. The stupid question I have is of the steering control computer is the same as the vgrs ecu. I have to think they are. We went to pick my truck up today as the dealer said it was ready. Got there and all the lights popped back on. They have replaced the steering angle sensor and the steering control computer. Total bill so far is $3,400. I asked them to let me know what systems fall in the troubleshooting tree from that one damn fuse that keeps blowing. I don't have any money to pay for what has been worked on so far, so any more work that is going to get done is probably going to be myself.

Hoping it's something stupid like the led's I put underneath are messing with a ground or something. This is getting to be too much for me to handle.

I'm thinking I might sell it and eat the cost of whatever it is that needs to be fixed. I am at a loss. I have no idea what to do. This truck has been at the shop for the last two weeks. It's so close to HIH and I would not take it very well if can't make it because my 2006 is a POS.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated guys. Should I just go get it and drive it home? It's my DD so any work I would do at home would have to be around driving it to work...and that's if it's even something I can troubleshoot. Wiring is very much not my thing. I don't know. Maybe I take out another credit card and put it all on that.

I would be very firm that the reason why you took your car there was that you trusted them and they did not fix the issue and that you are not paying full price. That is ridiculous for them to throw expensive electrical parts at it and just "see if it fixes it". Don't sell your soul or your future financial life to the truck but make a deal with them and try and get a FSM and work through the diagnostics. I can't imagine it's doing any more mechanical or electrical damage to the truck at this point and you can still drive it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom