VSC TRAC - VSC OFF - Check Engine Light On - P0441 code (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This happened to me last week, and I thought I'd share...

We have a 2007 Sequoia Limited, and my wife calls to tell me that the VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, and Check Engine Light came on all at once. It was an over 100 degree hot day, and she had been driving all over town running errands, shuttling kids, etc. That may not be relevant, but

I take the Sequoia, top off the gas tank with non ethanol fuel (it was about 1/2 tank full - the previous fill up was with 10% ethanol fuel), and go to O'Reilly's to pull the error code. The code is P0441, which indicates an Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow. Their database says that most of repairs for this code is a gas cap replacement. I purchase a $14 gas cap, have them clear the codes and have been good to go ever since.

TL;DR - 2007 Sequoia, VSC TRAC - VSC OFF - Check Engine Light On - P0441 code, replaced gas cap. Fixed issue.

Not usually.

I learned from a reputable repair shop that replacement gas cap should be OEM from a dealer, not aftermarket.

No reason why, just seems to work better.

Just as an update. It has been almost 1 year from my original post, and since I replaced the gas cap from O'Reilly's and so far so good. The error has not returned - knock on wood...

Just changed mine this weekend mine was showing po441 and p0455 codes along with the traction lights. Cleared all codes and have put over 200 miles on since with no issues.

@LC neophyte I just disconnected the battery for about 15 minutes then reconnected. I have a code reader but it won’t clear the traction control codes. That’s the easiest way I’ve found.

I had a similar issue with my 04 4Runner. Same code and replaced the gas cap with an orielly one. No luck. Light stayed on. Drove to the dealer, got an genuine Toyota cap, light was off in 50 miles. It was about the same price too.

I replaced mine with Pep Boys gas cap. The guy there me said it will take about 3 or 4 drives (on/off cycles?) for the codes to reset. He was right. Or, was it the 50 miles? The mystery continues on the definitive way that the light resets.

I was just estimating the 50 miles. My point is with genuine Toyota, you know it’s good. With aftermarket, you don’t. I am to the point in my life it’s not worth that money to not buy genuine Toyota.

mine just came on today...…...we will see

Mine have been on for a while, I feel like I haven't been doing the zero point calibration correctly. I HATE taking my car to a shop when I can typically figure stuff out on my own but I'm afraid this might be one of those times.

Gas cap is an easy fix for sure. I learned a few weeks ago that topping of the tank at the gas pump - i.e. over filling the tank - can result in gas getting into the evap canister which can throw similar codes. just fyi.

I was just estimating the 50 miles. My point is with genuine Toyota, you know it’s good. With aftermarket, you don’t. I am to the point in my life it’s not worth that money to not buy genuine Toyota.

And it’s true. Same thing happened to me.

gas cap was my issue here

Same thing happened on Son#1's 2010 Tundra.

Gas cap is an easy fix for sure. I learned a few weeks ago that topping of the tank at the gas pump - i.e. over filling the tank - can result in gas getting into the evap canister which can throw similar codes. just fyi.
Boom, Have an '03 Tundra, 193k mi, immaculately maintained, 1 of our lcl warehouse clubs had an awesome deal on fuel, overfilled rather seriously (not running out of fill tube, but 'close') & recent installed STANT Locking Cap....this morning the yellow light fm Hades pops on...1st x in a while: P0441/P0442/P0446 & another P0441 pending. Now it's narrowed to a couple possibilities. Clearing Codes to diagnose whether it was the overfill (1st ever) or new cap. Thanks JayDoc!:clap:

I have an 02 LX470 with code P0441 and P0446 coming up. Anyone with both of these codes showing do the gas cap thing and have it work?

That old and the gasket could be leaking. Like I wrote above, get an OEM ga$ cap, I was told by my shop there is something different/ better about the OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom