VSC Trac and VSC Off lights when steering wheel turns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mkamalo

SILVER Star
Threads
The two lights came on yesterday when returning home from camping in Anza Borrego. No heavy wheeling and one small water crossing.

No other warning lights on the dash are on and no bulbs (that I can tell) are out. Also no codes in the code reader.

Both VSC Trac and VSC Off only come on when I turn the steering wheel. I can shut off the engine and start it back up... No lights as long as I drive in a straight line. As soon as I turn the steering wheel, both lights come on.

I've been watching all kinds of videos and reading any of the threads I can find about this.

Like I said, no CEL, no burned out bulbs... And the light will not immediately turn on with starting. Only when I turn the steering wheel in either direction.

Any help would be much appreciated!

check steering rack bushings

Thanks! I read a bunch of the threads about VSC malfunctions like the one in that thread.

I haven't had any other signs of a problem. No VSC related braking or swerving or high rpms and low acceleration.

It runs like nothing is wrong. Between when the lights came on and home, we did 70-80 miles of winding mountain roads and highway.

Only happens when I turn the steering wheel. Doesn't matter if I'm moving or in park.

i have the rear wheel sensor issue after rain or snow. ABS, brake, VSC and TRAC lights are on. After weather becomes dry then it goes away. maybe something related.

Tried jumping these per the FSM.

No luck.
20210326_224331.jpg

Mine did this after swapping the steering wheel. There’s a little white ring in the steering column that has limit tabs which turn the ring as the wheel is turned either direction from straight. I had assembled with the tabs misaligned. Perhaps yours wore down or broke?

good luck!

First thing I'd do after reading codes. Give front end a good inspection, paying special attention to wheel bearings play. Any play and you've likely found the culprit. To much and wheel speed sensors may be damages.

@JakeTheSnakeNH Thanks! Seems as likely as anything else at this point. No I did have some "squeeking" in the steering wheel out in the desert. Not sure what that was, but maybe something did break off. Guess I'm about to learn how to remove the steering wheel with the airbag!

@2001LC Thank you. I'm in the process of checking everything related to the whreels, sensors and steering. So frustrating.

And also learning how techstream works. Kinda.

@JakeTheSnakeNH Thanks! Seems as likely as anything else at this point. No I did have some "squeeking" in the steering wheel out in the desert. Not sure what that was, but maybe something did break off. Guess I'm about to learn how to remove the steering wheel with the airbag!

@2001LC Thank you. I'm in the process of checking everything related to the whreels, sensors and steering. So frustrating.

And also learning how techstream works. Kinda.
Step 1 - remove negative battery terminal.

Thank you to all for the replies.

After checking the relatively easy stuff like the wheel bearings and the speed sensors (all good) I decided pulling the steering wheel was the next step.

I was a little nervous about the air bag. Did my best EOD impersonation while disconnecting it. Must have worked because I didn't blow anything up.

Honestly, it was much easier than I had anticipated.

The problem ended up being a bunch of dust and gunk on the metal ring for the steering sensor? Anyway, the metal ring was just dirty. Cleaned it, reinstalled everything.

GTG.

Thank you again for all the suggestions.

I am having a similar issue, except mine doesn’t throw the VSC lights if it is stopped. OP seemed to have it throw VSC lights while not moving, I am going to check wheels sensors first and report back.

I'm betting on the rack.

I am having a similar issue, except mine doesn’t throw the VSC lights if it is stopped. OP seemed to have it throw VSC lights while not moving, I am going to check wheels sensors first and report back.
How do you check the wheel sensors, with a code reader?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom