Vortec Engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of getting all my parts together for a V-8 conversion. My question is has anyone out the installed a late model (2001-2003) 5.3 Vortec in a 1975+ FJ40 with a Dodge NV4500? I am looking for info on what exhaust manifolds were used, what wiring or aftermarket harness was used, exhaust system used, Advance Adapter parts needed, suspension components used, power steering conversion used, and any other pertinent info would be greatly appreciated. I have read the Tech Links and could not find all the info needed.
Thank you,
Vern

Ummm, pretty much this exact swap is shown in detail in the tech links section on this very site.

Man, you guys are brutal!...but I appreciate your help. Thank you for the links. I've also seen several of them on IH8MUD but I was unaware of the group links. Anymore helpful sites would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Vern

LMAO note what model year and engine you are working with.

99-up 98 and earlier stuff does you no good. LS1

Nice with the help, i know you mean well, but double check what your
looking at. HEY they make vortec V6 as well, lmao.

why dodge version?

chevy e chevy b chevy t, then the only thing that is a problem is the fly-pressure, AA lists a (way too freakin expensive) setup to run the older style stuff, But there has to be a way to get this stuff away from Alittle Asking Alot.

Nv4500 might not be too much of a problem as the use something similar in the trucks still. not sure though. nvg3550 i think

Good thread on pirate about ex manifolds. (i think it was)

Doing 00-01 5.3 in another custom builder. think i found a company to do the comp and wire for cheap.

that's quite a list:

has anyone out the installed a late model (2001-2003) 5.3 Vortec in a 1975+ FJ40 with a Dodge NV4500? I am looking for info on what exhaust manifolds were used, what wiring or aftermarket harness was used, exhaust system used, Advance Adapter parts needed, suspension components used, power steering conversion used,

- I believe you can do the 5.3, I have a 99 vortec from a suburban. You will need to get the computer reprogrammed to get around the security features.

- call advance adapters, they will tell you what you need, great people, great products

- rams horn style manifolds I hear work best, I am using headers, you may want to get something custom bent. The best bet is to find a good exhaust shop and have it all custom done, I had a great place in SD do my exhaust and I love it.

- you can get custom harnesses, howell made my specifically for me

- suspension, PS, not sure what your question is? how does this relate to the engine and drivetrain. If you go spring over you may have issues using an auto tranny as your dtrain will be long.

HTH,

Noah

OK you guys are killing me.

LS1 LS1 LS1

nothing that pertains to the none LS1 based vortec is NOT USEABLE.
basics are the same, but completely different engines.

PLEASE NOTE: all other none LS1 vortecs can use 97 programming/computer and
can be rewired with a little patience, SEARCH pirate

AA is charging $500+ for a flywheel clutch and pressure plate for this setup, I am
not building a drag car, with triple disc and progressive clutch. I have an out door only
and walk tall with a big sitck.

Now some useful info, 4.8 and 5.3 use the same fly/flex, all others are different. I have
a small thread here awhile back about this.

Can't say anything about the NV4500 as I went with 4L60E trans out of the same truck I got the motor from (2000 GMC with 5.3). I sent the stock wiring harness to a company in so cal for the rework. Knowing more now I would rework it myself and save the money. I'm using exhaust manifolds off a 2001 LS1 Firebird or at least one of them to clear the frame. I had custom exhaust done (2 into 1 then to the muffler and single exhaust out the behind the drivers rear tire. I reprogrammed the computer (removing the vats and many more changes) using LS1 edit that I purchased from carputing.com, not cheap but worth it if you plan on making lots changes over time. Engine mounts and transfer mount were from AA. Not sure if I would use them again or fab my own.

Medusa said:
HI^C.. How about editing your last two posts. I can't translate them into English :D :D :D
no s*** :)

Ok guys thanks for all the replies. The engine is a 2001 V-8 5.3 Chevy Vortec out of a P/U w/auto trans. The tranny is a Dodge NV4500 that I got in a deal I couldn't refuse. I am putting together a book to make sure I have all the bases covered before I jump in. I found a lot of good info on the yahoo forum for the vortec/land cruiser. I have not been able to get a clear picture yet on the engine wiring integration into the FJ40. I am still digging around on this issue. I plan on taking photos of every aspect of this conversion and explaining in detail the conversion process. I will post this when done. Thanks again for all the help.

Was the NV4500 Mated to a Gas Engine in any GM Vehicles? I was looking at the cost of Adaptors from AA to mate a GM Gas Engine to the NV4500 and it totally blew my mind.

I have not been able to get a clear picture yet on the engine wiring integration into the FJ40.

Integration of the Vortec wiring with the FJ40 is really very simple -- run one hot wire from the Vortec firewall connector to the FJ40 fuse box. That supplies power to all of the existing FJ40 circuits. Other that that the two systems do not need to be integrated. The best suggestion I can give you is that instead of making your own book, pony up for the factory service manuals. Personally I would not attempt a Vortec conversion (and I have done four of them) without the manuals. They contain all of the wiring diagrams and they make the conversion very easy.

Was the NV4500 Mated to a Gas Engine in any GM Vehicles?
GEN I and GEN II Vortec engines in 3/4 and 1 ton pickups used the NV4500 as an option. The problem is that they are rare. GEN III Vortecs utilize an integrated bellhousing for the NV4500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom