Vortec 5.3 Or 5.7 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats the perferred Vortec Engine? The Vortec 5.3 Or 5.7? I plan on swapping a Vortec into my fj40 (1 ton trail rig) and have found both engines (complete fully dressed W/ harness & computer) for the same price. Im not sure which would be the best choice. Also what manual trans are you all running?? Thanks for any help...

I am not sure about this but it seems to me there is more info and parts out there for the 5.7, a more common swap. I am running a nv4500 and like it a lot. I still have the 4.11's and need to go deeper eventually when I move to 35 inch tires....

Noah

If you plan on running an older manual tranny (e.g., SM420 or SM 465) you will have to choose the 5.7 (GEN II) engine, or spend $$ on the AA bellhousing adapter kit for the 5.3L.

Im leaning toward a NV4500. If I Choose The 5.3 I guess that will be my best choice. Thanks...

IMO, if you go with the 5.3, take the tranny that's attached now...will make the conversion mucho easier on you....

Yeah and you should be able to find a 5.3 with low, low miles for way less than a comparable 5.7. If you want a manual, go 5.7.

I prefer the auto and the 5.3/4l60E setup is nice and cheap right now.

Does the 5.3 come with a NV3550? I have that tranny (in one of my pickups) and it shifts like a dream. No granny gear, though.

The 5.3 is a more powerfull motor from the factory too. None of the 5.3s have distributors either which I see as being a problem with a lot of engine swaps. Of course the 5.7 you are looking at may be distributorless as well.

woody said:
IMO, if you go with the 5.3, take the tranny that's attached now...will make the conversion mucho easier on you....

The 5.3 is still in the pickup. It's a '02 2wheel drive w/ an automatic. If I use the auto v/s a manual, Im not sure of my advantages/disadvantages. Maybe I should research & consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom