Volvo C303 Portals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know where I might find a pair of these for a project build-up? Of all the portal axles, Unimog, Hummer hybrid I'm thinking these would be the best.

Might be more productive in the Parts Wanted section or the Hardcore forum...just a WAG...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
c303's on an 80 would be pushing it above 37" rubber. The C303 while big, was not a heavy animal. There are a couple of importers, real 4wd being the most popular I think.

Check on Pirate as there was a vendor there selling them. Right below a 60 in strength.

Mog's are much more available, but much more work. For what you can get 303's for, you could run pass drop 60's or shorten a right side and 40's.

j

I would do a search on portals as these axles have been discussed at least twice in detail in the 80's tech and hardcore.

try greenpig on pirate. he runs 303s in his fj55. i would definetly go with mog 404s instead. waaaaaay easier to find and to get parts. imho.

orangefj45 said:
try greenpig on pirate. he runs 303s in his fj55. i would definetly go with mog 404s instead. waaaaaay easier to find and to get parts. imho.

Green Pig pulled them out, did not like the on road charateristics, low gears=high reving and slow on the highway.

Think he really liked them off road though.

from what I have heard and read if you are looking for a light portal the 303 is the way to go it weighs apx 320lbs as compared to mogs which is apx500lbs 40" is the biggest tire that you would be able to run but some may beg to differ:) dont know if these sites are still up but www.offroadgs.com & www.rockbuggysupply.com had info posted about staying tuned for when they would start importing them(that was about 2 yrs aro). Also from what I understand is they were all drum brake but a conversion kit is available/ has 8 on 8-3/4 lug pattern.

Ridgerunner do you have a website for portal tek tryed to google it but no dice thanks

E-mail address

Sorry I have not had the time to post lately, but I have been really busy. If you check out our website at portal-tek.com you can hit the email link and ask us what ever questions you need, or just keep posting. The web site is still under construstion, but hopefully will have some great pictures in the next week or so. I will keep checking the board as much as possible and will answer any questions you quys might have.

Later
Scott

Portal_tek said:
Sorry I have not had the time to post lately, but I have been really busy. If you check out our website at portal-tek.com you can hit the email link and ask us what ever questions you need, or just keep posting. The web site is still under construstion, but hopefully will have some great pictures in the next week or so. I will keep checking the board as much as possible and will answer any questions you quys might have.

Later
Scott

How do you make portals more streetable, speaking mainly of running reasonable highways speeds without wearing 46 inch boots.,

Sounds like ford nines have some of the better gearing selections available, but your pocket book si gonna suffer that one.

Rob

Ford 9" ring and pinions range from 2.47 on up, and most of them are available used or waiting to be used at a junk yard. One of the reasons we are using the Ford 9" is because of its broad range of ratios and availability. The idea is to make the portals as streetable as possible. Future options could even include higher rear ends. With a 2.47 and the 2 to 1 portal gear reduction your ratio would be 4.94. Running 35" or 37" tires would make this vehicle very streetable. Thanks for the question, I hope this helped, please keep asking.

Thanks
Scott

Another thing about the Ford 9" is you would be giving up the factory Volvo locker. Just an additional cost to get lockers back on top of an already pricey project. I understand that the C303's come in two gear ratios, 5.97 and 7.14, of which the 5.97's are hard to come by. If the 7.14's are more readily available can the 5.97 gears be ordered from overseas and swapped in? I am running 4.88's with 35" tires now and feel that the lower gearing of something in the area of 5.89- 6.00 would be just about right for tires in the 38" range. My 80 will have to be streetable but, it is not a daily driver... Just a weekend warrior. I own a Land Cruiser because I like a vehicle that is unique and not a jeep. I want to be different in the way of axles. I know a Dana 60 would get me the strength but it would not be unique. I love the look, clearance and added room for larger tires without additional suspension lift that a portal axles give.

I have a Mog9 with New 2.75 gears (like Portaltak said, 2.47s are only available used)

With the 2.13 Mog reduction boxes I have a final drive of 5.89:1

Kinda tall for the street, but I have an OD tranny and 42's......

I would not do a hybrid using Volvo parts seeing that you can get the 5.99 ratio if you look hard enough.

Yes, you do loose the volvo vaccuum locker, but you do have the options that are available with the Ford 9" which include detroit, ARB, spooled etc.... As for the 2.47 being used, that is also true, but if we get enough interest in higher gear ratios we will consider options for higher gears in the future. I would steer clear of a hybrid axle as well, that is why we created our Portal-Tek axles. Our axles don't use any Volvo parts, so all axle parts will be readily available.

Thanks
Scott

im not sure if brian is going to sale those 303's.... he was over here not to long ago and we talked about the portals... if he has the gear ratio i think he does... then they are very hard to find. there were two different ratios used. i dont remember them off the top of my head. one is more highway friendly.. which is the one Brian has.. and they are worth more money. you can adapt brake parts from rovers...i know brake shoes are dirrect replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom