Voltage Reg + Starter Wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
9/74 FJ40 - Does the tag wire off of the Voltage regulator connect to anything. I have all of the wires labeled but none labeled for the voltage regulator other than the large three wire set with the connector. If it does connet to one, what color wire would that be.

Ran into almost the same problem with the starter. When looking at the starter with the engine on the right, which spade connection on the solenoid takes which color wire. There is a black and yellow and a black and white.

I have a wiring diagram but could not definitively tell what went where.

Thanks

I think you are talking about that little blue wire coming off the voltage reg. If so, that is for some sort of capacitor to reduce "noise" in the electrical system for the radio. I've only actually seen this capacitor on the voltage reg on a '78 (Both reg and alt are interchangeable with 74).
I don't get any noise on my radio or CB without it, so I assume it is unnecessary. Probably due to the better built in amps and power supplies in today's radios.

I too was wondering what that blue wire was for. My radio in fact does sound horrible. Real scratchy and staticy, even in town. So what exactly do I connect it to? I've got a '76 FJ 40 but I think I've got a regulator for a later model. It's got 5 wires coming out of it plus the blue one. My truck has electronic ignition which was added by PO.

On my wiring harness three wires come out near the starter.
1) Has female spade connecter. Goes to starter solenoid spade on left, this is what triggers the solenoid from the ignition. Black/white wire
2)Longer wire (not sure on color) with ring terminal on end, goes to distributor.
3) Wire with other disconnect on end, mine is not connected to anything, but i believe it is supposed to go to the short pigtail on other side of solenoid, I believe it is designed to give the ignition coil a full 12 volts when starting the truck. Not necessary.

[quote author=paulj link=board=1;threadid=8557;start=msg72985#msg72985 date=1070921846]
I too was wondering what that blue wire was for. My radio in fact does sound horrible. Real scratchy and staticy, even in town. So what exactly do I connect it to? I've got a '76 FJ 40 but I think I've got a regulator for a later model. It's got 5 wires coming out of it plus the blue one. My truck has electronic ignition which was added by PO.
[/quote]
First off, what radio do you have, and how is it wired?
Second, I may be able to get you one of those capacitors for the volt. reg. I will know on Wed. You can also get interference filters from radioshack.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=8557;start=msg72994#msg72994 date=1070923703]
First off, what radio do you have, and how is it wired?
Second, I may be able to get you one of those capacitors for the volt. reg. I will know on Wed. You can also get interference filters from radioshack.
[/quote]

if its electical interferance then it will change with RPM's, if it's just a POS radio...........it won't change and will sound like crap even with the key off. I found the little noise reducer thing that come off the coil on my fj60 unpluged...........radio/cd make no noise......none of my old cruiser have an issue with noise from the engine/ignition.

My radio/cassette player is a POS installed by PO. I think it cost maybe $99. I may look into that gizmo from Radio Shack. What I'd really like to have is a satellite radio, but before that I'd want to have a lockable Tuffy center console. First things first. I've got a CD player in my other car, and I get kinda sick of listening to the same CDs all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom