1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

voltage oddities --

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by erics_bruisers, Jan 22, 2004.

1. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

Hi all --

On my '91, there's an odd voltage thing going on -- when the headlights are on, everything's okay, but when I put the window down, or open the sunroof, the hazard directional lights glow --

-- and when I turn the brights on, everything dims so low it resets my Sirius satellite radio --

-- this isn't on my '94 at all -- I sort of like it, since it adds character --

-- though is there something that's obviously screwed up to be causing this??

THANKS!!

eric

2. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

I would guess that your alternator is going south. I'm assuming that you have the motor running when this happens. I would also check the wire connections to it and the battery making sure everything is in tip top shape.

3. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

thanks, phil -- will check the alternator -- would you buy a reman one, or a newbie, or an aftermarket?

e

PS - the battery is new -- optima --

4. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    if its toast, then reman OEM Toyota is IMOP the way to go.

[quote author=erics_bruiser link=board=2;threadid=10526;start=msg94446#msg94446 date=1074870748]
    thanks, phil -- will check the alternator -- would you buy a reman one, or a newbie, or an aftermarket?

e

PS - the battery is new -- optima --
    [/quote]

5. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

I agree with landpimp, you get what you pay for. :beer:

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Eric,

The descriptipn of your problem is a bit confusing. Are you saying that everything is OK when the headlights are on, or that electrical loads on top of the headlights are the problem?

7. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

I'm saying, Dan, that when we're cruising with the headlamps on, all's okay, and the volt-gage is in the upper 2/3rd of juice --

-- when I put the brights on, there's a massive drop in power, or when I put the window down or open the sunroof --

:)

e

8. cruiserdan

OK so loads over and above headlamp low beam operation are an issue. I would suggest that you have the vehicle charging system load tested. A proper test will get the battery and the alternator. I agree with the others that your alternator could be on the way out but the battery could also be marginal. Try your lights/power window test with the engine off. This will give you an indication of battery condition.

D-

9. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Eric,

Check your ground & other e-connections first before going after the alternator.

Dan,

Not sure if the question has been asked before, but is the charger rebuildable ? i.e. any OEM brush kit... ?

Frank.

10. cruiserdan

Replacement parts are availabe for alternators. The prices on items such as rotors, stators, voltage regulators and rectifiers are such that it is cheaper to buy a Re-man. Brush packs and bearings are reasonable.

11. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

thanks for this dan -- will do it -- when the temp raises above 20F -- it's CCOOLLLDDD out thar!

e

12. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

PS -- I had an Optima installed while at Slee's -- 800 CCA -- and Ben installed it himself --

;)

e

13. cruiserdan

Ben did it :eek:

Did you see how beat up his truck was?.... :-\

JUST KIDDING :flipoff2:

For fun, look at the alternator and see if you can find a foil tag on it with a part number. IE 27060-61091 or maybe one with a -84 on the end.

14. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

i gave it a look, dan -- nothing's there -- don't want to get under there today -- it's down to 17 here -- !!

:)

e

15. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    My wife's 80 had a bad ground when I bought it. With the engine off, opening the rear hatch caused everything on the ignition circuit to get weak power. Current was flowing from the rear hatch light switch through the rear wiper, back to the ignition. A bad ground can cause a lot of wierd things.

16. cruiserdan

Scott brings up an excelent point.

The "glow" could be a "backfeed" from a bad ground. Check the body side ends on the negitive battery cable.

17. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=10526;start=msg94654#msg94654 date=1074897591]
    Scott brings up an excelent point.

The "glow" could be a "backfeed" from a bad ground. Check the body side ends on the negitive battery cable.
    [/quote]

this is good stuff, dan -- will do, tomorrow -- it's 12 degrees here now -- !!

e

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">