Voltage drops when warms up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1972 FJ 40 has a standard 40 amp alternator and separate firewall mounted regulator. When I start it up cold the volts are 13.5-14. However as I drive around it drops and after about 45 minutes of driving Im down to 11.5-12 volts. no mater how much I rev the engine it wont go up. If I shut it down for a while and restart its back up to 13 but soon drops to 11.5 to 12. The alternator and regulator are about 1 1/2 years old. I have checked my dash gauge with a separate voltmeter and they are the same readings. Any suggestions? Thanks

I am thinking it must be the voltage regulator, unless your belt is streaching after warmup :lol:
when the engine is cold, take a hair dryer and heat up the voltage regulator, but not too much, just enough to simulate the warm up condition you get then start it and measure the voltage
if it is low then its almost a sure bet that your regulator is at fault.
Alan

Are you sure there is a problem? It might just be that your gauge is slightly off. Your alternator is going to normally put out the most amps after start up because the starter is a big drain on the battery. Then your alternators amperage will slowly get lower as your battery is recharged. After 45 minutes, your battery is probably fully charged and all the alternator output is going to run the electrical stuff. If you want to do a quick test, just fully load the cruiser's electrical system after the gauge reads low and see if the amps go up-all lights, radio, wipers, heater, ect.

Last edited:
Are you having any issues from the lower alternator voltage? Trouble starting from undercharging? Did this recently change?

Heat increases resistance in conductors, so some of this is normal in a way. But the voltage does seem a little low. I would start probing with a resistance meter and writing down all the values and then do it again when you're seeing the low voltage. You will probably find your gremlin.

Thank you so much for your hair dryer suggestion. It worked and after heating it up in the morning for 30 seconds I started it and it went to <12 volts almost immediately. I replaced the regulator and everything is working fine. Thanks again!! and thanks to all who replied with suggestions

A lucky guess on my part
Glad your rig is up and running :bounce2:
Best Regards
Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom