Volt gauge quit on me. Anyone else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Out hunting this weekend and had a cheap charger in the cig socket. Got a bunch of relay clicking from under the drivers left hand dash. Could smell elec burning. Assume it was the charger. Now the volt meter is dead. Scan gauge gives me voltage still. Thoughts?

May be a burnt printed circuit on the back of the instrument cluster?

I don't know those circuits offhand, but I'd be surprised if the voltage gauge and cig lighter are on the same circuit and fuse. But it's possible. You'll want to look at the ESM. Those lighters commonly have a fusible link built-in. If there is one, it could have burned up if there was a short in the charger. Is there still power there? Maybe it's just a coincidence that something happened to the dash with the charger in. What makes you think there is a connection?

Anyway, I would get the ESM, look it up, and start checking fuses and circuits in a methodical way. But if everything else works fine, it's not like you can't be without that voltmeter for a bit.

I don't know those circuits offhand, but I'd be surprised if the voltage gauge and cig lighter are on the same circuit and fuse. But it's possible. You'll want to look at the ESM. Those lighters commonly have a fusible link built-in. If there is one, it could have burned up if there was a short in the charger. Is there still power there? Maybe it's just a coincidence that something happened to the dash with the charger in. What makes you think there is a connection?

Anyway, I would get the ESM, look it up, and start checking fuses and circuits in a methodical way. But if everything else works fine, it's not like you can't be without that voltmeter for a bit.
I think it was coincidence that they occurred at the same time. Checked power to the socket and all fuses and found all ok. I’ll look through and see if I can find anything. To your point, not the most important gauge.

Well, if the socket is fine, then I would think it is indeed very unlikely that it has anything to do with the dash.
Given the smell and the gauge stopping to work, it does seem likely that something burned up in the dash. There is a good chance you could tell what if you look at the back. With a bit of luck and knowledge you may be able to fix it too, may be just a visible trace.
In the mean time, for 10 or 15 bucks you can get a voltmeter that fits the socket (!) and will tell you way more about the battery and alternator than the silly little dash gauge.

Well, if the socket is fine, then I would think it is indeed very unlikely that it has anything to do with the dash.
Given the smell and the gauge stopping to work, it does seem likely that something burned up in the dash. There is a good chance you could tell what if you look at the back. With a bit of luck and knowledge you may be able to fix it too, may be just a visible trace.
In the mean time, for 10 or 15 bucks you can get a voltmeter that fits the socket (!) and will tell you way more about the battery and alternator than the silly little dash gauge.
I like the voltmeter idea. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom