Visual identification of H41 vs H55F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
Hi guys

I just got my hands on a 1989 BJ60 in beautiful condition.

It originally came with an H41 but the previous owner told me at some stage he had it converted to 5 speed. He gave me the impression that a 5th gear was added to the existing box. Certainly the shifter positions etc are factory and from outside it looks stock.

I could guess that H55F internals might fit in an H41 case, or even that there was a space behind the H41 intermediate plate to put a 5th gear in, but that's pure guesswork. I am sure someone on here will know better.

But to my question, from crawling under the vehicle, would there be any way to visually identify which transmission (or at least case) I have?

Thanks!

Last edited:
News to me. Might wanna take a closer look.

Extension housing off the trans but you have to reach up and feel for the 5th gear selector off the top of the trans into the extension. Late H42 also had this extension but no 5th selector rod is present externally.

I'm not sure about what trucks received what transmissions in your country but it should be H42. I don't know of any H41s in 60 series, only 40 and 55s. Granted this assumes the truck is generally original.

Quick way is to find out where reverse is. If its H41/42, reverse is all the way left and down. H55 is all the way right and down.

Thanks

It's H41 on the VIN tag. It's a low spec General market BJ. Came with drums on the front (long since upgraded to discs). No heater, tacho, clock or cigarette lighter. I love it!

It has a fifth gear, top right with reverse bottom right. I guess that rules it out as still being the original H41 and means I have an H55F. Good news!

Last edited:
Thanks

It's H41 on the VIN tag. It's a low spec General market BJ. Came with drums on the front (long since upgraded to discs). No heater, tacho, clock or cigarette lighter. I love it!

It has a fifth gear, top right with reverse bottom right. I guess that rules it out as still being the original H41 and means I have an H55F. Good news!

Fascinating combination for an 89. You'll have to share some pictures!

I will do in time. I've just moved to Brunei and am waiting for home internet. Right now phone only so no pic uploads!

Check the chassis code BJ60RG-KRC

Thanks for help diagnosing that I have an H55F :)

factory front drum brakes on a 60? Now that I have never seen.

factory front drum brakes on a 60? Now that I have never seen.

Welcome to Asia. We get super low-spec vehicles here. You could buy LJ95 Prado's with the 3L and until very recently the LJ120 Prado with the 5L-E. Neither have a heater. Open the bonnet (hood) and you see dead end plugs all over for the equipment they didn't have. Usually a good thing since modern car development makes driving ever safer and less enjoyable, but they are woefully underpowered.

That's why my old 3B is getting swapped for a 15B-FT soon :)

Any pics?
Any update?
The car is totally stripped. I got the last of the glass out of the body this weekend. Chassis is stripped bare, ready for paint. Body needs some welding here and there, mostly minor and I'm about to try to build a simple rotisserie to give the best angles on welding, and be able to respray the underside with epoxy primer and stonechip. I can only get straight CO2 welding gas here so need to be careful on thin metal, hence I am waiting for some 0.6 mm MIG wire and associated supplies.

Engine I have still not sourced. Transmission and transfer are half stripped but I got stuck on finding a new input shaft. Trying to organise a used full-floating rear axle and sway bar to be shipped over from Australia. I have shelves of new genuine parts which I have been sourcing over the last year in order to rebuild the car from the ground up. Some are still held up in Japan as EMS between Japan and Brunei has been suspended for over a year now. I have a used, original AC and heater system to install, and a used tachometer correct for this engine.

Thinking of starting a build thread in the coming weeks. Would prefer to have an engine sourced before announcing the project as a 3B to 15B-FT rebuild, but Japan is mostly under a state of emergency and the pandemic has made shipping more difficult, so it may have to wait.

EO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom