Visiting the Boise Area mid June (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. I am planning to visit a friend in Boise for his birthday in the middle of this month. While I am there, I would like to hit a few trails in the area. I contacted a couple of 4x4 clubs in the area, but thought I would try here as well. I am looking for back road driving and medium difficulty trails. Can you recommend a few? Is there a good online source to read about some local trails and download GPX tracks? I don't mind driving for a bit to get to a trail either.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you,

From what I've been able to determine living here a few years, real trails are a well guarded secret. And most you do hear about north of Boise are old forest service roads that just haven't been driven in a while. I've discovered a few trails heading south down into the Snake River that are mild to moderate; rocky with off-kilter; and a lot of dust roads that turn to amazingly deep mud if there is a rain cloud nearby. And recently visited Crater Rings, not at all challenging except for finding the best access (fenced and only two access points not on the maps). And down in the Owyhees, a few spots I've been were fun, but not challenging; found most of the neat washes are now OHV widths. I've read that a couple roads around South Mountain can be "interesting," I haven't explored them yet.

You can find spots on the maps that are OHV areas: the roads are mostly narrow tracks these days.

From California, you might try coming in over the Owyhees ... either south up from Nevada or west from Jordan Valley. It'll get you an overview of what's out there. Silver City is one of the attractions (no services to speak of). South Mountain is another highlight and camping in that region is off the grid and out of the way, so to speak.

Once in Boise, northwest or south there's the Snake ... plenty of roads to the canyon ... maps a bit unreliable. North and northeast are mountains and forest service roads to explore.

From what I've been able to determine living here a few years, real trails are a well guarded secret. And most you do hear about north of Boise are old forest service roads that just haven't been driven in a while. I've discovered a few trails heading south down into the Snake River that are mild to moderate; rocky with off-kilter; and a lot of dust roads that turn to amazingly deep mud if there is a rain cloud nearby. And recently visited Crater Rings, not at all challenging except for finding the best access (fenced and only two access points not on the maps). And down in the Owyhees, a few spots I've been were fun, but not challenging; found most of the neat washes are now OHV widths. I've read that a couple roads around South Mountain can be "interesting," I haven't explored them yet.

You can find spots on the maps that are OHV areas: the roads are mostly narrow tracks these days.

From California, you might try coming in over the Owyhees ... either south up from Nevada or west from Jordan Valley. It'll get you an overview of what's out there. Silver City is one of the attractions (no services to speak of). South Mountain is another highlight and camping in that region is off the grid and out of the way, so to speak.

Once in Boise, northwest or south there's the Snake ... plenty of roads to the canyon ... maps a bit unreliable. North and northeast are mountains and forest service roads to explore.

Thanks for the reply. I have contacted several 4wd clubs in the area and have had little success gaining any information. So I would agree that the good stuff is kept secret.
Thanks again.

Carnage Canyon/Lower Gatekeeper...Etc
Come join in on the fun, we will be hosting some friends from Extreme 4X4 Nation-Oregon for a day out on the trail... If we get enough interest we will split off into two groups depending on rig capabilities...
Requirements: 33's & 1 locker
https://www.facebook.com/events/644517175995796/
WhenSat Jun 15, 2019 9am – 5pm Mountain Time - Denver
WhereDan's Ferry Service (map)

This is going to be in that Kane springs area on 6/15, just tag along with these guys if you're in Boise the 15th.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom