Visiting Sedona, AZ 11/10 to 11/15 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - I submitted the posting below on tha AZ club board that you originally posted on. I'm copying it here in the hopes that you might have some of the trail advice, ratings, and location info I'm asking for, since some of you recently made this trip.

Thanks for looking!
Joe

My wife & I will be visiting Sedona for the first time. I'd like to take her out on some trails in the area. After reading the "Visiting Sedona, AZ 10/7 to 10/9" thread, it seems like there are at least 3 trail options in the area - Broken Arrow, Oak Creek Homestead, and Smiley Rock . My vehicle is fairly well equipped with the basics (see my sig line), but we'll be traveling alone (unless you have a run planned in the area that we could join) so I don't want to do anything too hardcore.

Do you have any:

1) trail ratings for the above trails, or
2) any additional trails you would suggest?

Also, do you have any:

1) directions to the trailheads, or
2) GPS coordinates for the trails?

I'm planning this a little late and don't have time to order a trail guidebook (I'm packing for Surf'n'Turf tonight, working tomorrow, and won't be back home until Sunday night)..I'd appreciate any help/insight you could provide.

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe -

I was going to suggest purchasing the Charles Wells book for AZ trails, but it sounds like you don't have time to order it. You may be able to buy it once you get there. It has very good descriptions of the trails, GPS coordinates, etc.

There is a visitor's center near the middle of town. You will need to buy a "Red Rocks" pass and they can give you a map and likely some directions there as well.

We ran all three of the trails you mentioned above. They were all fun and not too hard core (I'm not sure how much lift you have?), but I would be wary about running most trails by myself. You just never know what will break or where you will get stuck. It can be a long way back to pavement, especially on foot. As I recall, the Wells book calls all three of these "difficult." From hardest to easiest, I would say Smiley Rock, Homestead, and then Broken Arrow. I don't have any other trail suggestions for you.

Smiley Rock in particular had some pretty big boulder fields toward the end of the trail. My 80 is on 35s with six inches of lift and I still had to watch my line very closely. You can't get into too much trouble on Broken Arrow. It's pretty close to town and there are lots of pink heeps around (there's a tour company).

Hope this helps!

Yeah, I have Wells' California books, but no time to search for the Arizona book. Maybe I can find it when I get there. Thanks for the tip on the visitor's center & the "Red Rocks" pass. That should help if I can't find the book.

My J-springs gave me about 4" of lift from where I started with my sagged suspension (probably 3.5" over stock). Also, I'm still running 33-inch tires until they wear out and I replace them with 35's.

Thanks for the info on Smiley Rock. I don't think I'll try that one on my own. I enjoy hiking - but not when my truck's broken! :crybaby: I'll try Broken Arrow first. If that goes well, maybe I'll try Homestead.

Take care,
Joe

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom