Visiting Santa Fe area Dec 22nd to 26th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry life got in the way and we couldn't meet up. @Manona's suggestion to take a left on FR376 is a great one. The cool thing is that it dumps out back onto HWY 4 farther south. Then you can take a left and come up through Jemez Springs, where you can stop for some food or a soak in some hot springs/spa treatment.

So to summarize: Head up to Los Alamos and continue on HWY 4 past Bandelier NM and past the Valles Caldera NM (or stop in to check them out, if they are open) Continue up HWY 4 to the intersection with 126 (at La Cueva). Turn right on 126 and then go about 3.5 miles to the intersection with FR 376. Take a left and continue on 376 for a long time (20 miles or so). There is some nice scenery through there and you eventually will go through the "Gilman Tunnels". Eventually 376 turns into 485 right before connecting with Hwy 4 again. Total mileage on dirt is about 20 miles. The road is just a dirt road that I have driven on with my Lexus ES350 in the summer. Might be some snow and ice on it. Lots of little side FS roads you can go out and back on if you want slightly more interesting driving. But since you're not in a group, be careful. You don't want to get stuck and have to spend the night out there. It's cold and there is no cell service. To be safe, make sure you are prepared to spend the night (clothes, blankets, food, water) just in case. @Manona doesn't want to have a call out to rescue/recover/retrieve your frozen butt. If you happen to see a really cool diesel powered 80-series in Jemez Springs, that's hers.

You gotta try the green chile at Horsemans Haven cafe! Great New Mexican food. hope you like it hot! The most often asked question in NM is "red or green"
If you drive down the turquoise trail (hwy 14) to Madrid I can meet you for a beer:beer:

Gabriel

How do the Christmas lights look this year in Madrid? We are going to drive out that way tonight. Been a couple of years since I've been through there when its dark .

As usual, the Christmas lights in Madrid are very impressive. That whole main street is all lit up. Very pretty!

How do the Christmas lights look this year in Madrid? We are going to drive out that way tonight. Been a couple of years since I've been through there when its dark .
The lights are pretty cool, you'll enjoy em. My boys really like them a lot.
Congratulations for your adorable new grand daughter, you must be proud!

As usual, the Christmas lights in Madrid are very impressive. That whole main street is all lit up. Very pretty!

Cool. Hopefully we can find a place to park.

The lights are pretty cool, you'll enjoy em. My boys really like them a lot.
Congratulations for your adorable new grand daughter, you must be proud!

Thanks, she is pretty cute. Almost sickening. Haha. Makes me feel old to have a grandbaby.

I have not seen one modified Landcruiser since I’ve been in Santa Fe, only a few soccer mom cruisers. Y’all hiding?

I have not seen one modified Landcruiser since I’ve been in Santa Fe, only a few soccer mom cruisers. Y’all hiding?

Haha. Different sorta folk in santa fe .

None of us live in Santa Fe. You're a lot more likely to see Subarus and Priuses there than Land Cruisers.

Have not yet, trying to organize the “family” is a pita. I’m about to go on my own

Have not yet, trying to organize the “family” is a pita. I’m about to go on my own
Just saw you at 3pm where State Road 4 meets American Springs road above Los Alamos. I tried to get your attention but you were headed back down the dirt roads and I was already late to Christmas dinner with my folks in Los Alamos.
There’s some nice roads/views. Did you find the one that pops out in SR 502 b the water tower?

Oh shucks I didn’t see you. We just drove around some dirt roads. Went down Rd 289 for awhile. Nothing too crazy, got the cruiser a little muddy.

726C2A98-739B-4DD7-8EDB-142028AB4672.jpeg

3A650AB8-8B08-4BA3-B23A-1C4BF7F3AB86.jpeg

CBEDFDF6-C676-4438-8C3C-CAE826DC20B6.jpeg

10CDAADD-73B8-4BA6-A247-E865C715CC65.jpeg

9B4A72DE-150F-4755-9815-135D98071AD4.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom