Visiting Santa Fe area Dec 22nd to 26th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
High Desert Cruisers.

I will be visiting the area (from San Diego) the above dates and was looking for some information on the area. Like trails, breweries and food, the basic needs :hillbilly: I have a 1999 100 decently built. Anyone going wheeling/exploring those days?

Thanks in Advance!!

Adam

hills1.jpeg

Trona.jpg

Geez! This group has given you quite the warm welcome. @Dumpolina goes out a lot. But I suspect with your visit being right around Christmas most family-minded folks are reluctant to make any plans. I might be able to do some sort of mild run in the Jemez mountains on Dec. 22 or 23. I also have a 100-series, though not as capable as yours. Anyone else in the club interested in getting out one of those days? Regarding breweries and food, I wouldn't be of much help because I live in Albuquerque and don't get to Santa Fe much. There is a taproom with a balcony that overlooks the square in Santa Fe that I went to once. It was nice. Don't know the name. My favorite restaurant in SF is The Pantry. Also, El Parasol makes great tacos.

If we go wheeling in the Jemez mountains we could always finish up the day in Jemez Springs with a hot meal. @Manona, any suggestions?

If we go wheeling in the Jemez mountains we could always finish up the day in Jemez Springs with a hot meal. @Manona, any suggestions?

Hey Adam!
I'm up for a run on the 22nd or possibly the 23rd as well. I think that weekend both the new 2nd Alarm Brewhouse and Grill will be open (craft beers and good food) , as well as Los Ojos (some craft and good ol' coors; funky fun, and real old western interior from the "rougher" years around here).

In Santa Fe you have some good choices for breweries/food: rowleyfarmhouse.com is one brewery I've heard great things about from friends, but not yet made it to. www.secondstreetbreweryrufina.com is very popular with the locals and located in the old Railyard district. www.santafebrewing.com is a favorite of mine (if you like dark beers, the State Pen Porter is awesome).

Seeing as your in SF for Christmas, you're in for a treat! Go to the Christmas Eve Farolito walk on historic Canyon Road. It's quite the experience and a Christmas tradition when I lived there and before my parents got to old to walk the cobblestones in the dark. It's magical though! Galleries will be open with musicians, handing out cocoa or cider, the streets are lined with candlelit paperbag lanterns (farolitos) and there's bonfires to warm by along the road. People will burst out into Christmas carols, etc. Canyon Road Santa Fe

You gotta try the green chile at Horsemans Haven cafe! Great New Mexican food. hope you like it hot! The most often asked question in NM is "red or green"
If you drive down the turquoise trail (hwy 14) to Madrid I can meet you for a beer:beer:

Gabriel

Not sure of my schedule that weekend, but I may be open to an outing as well (another 100 series owner). As far as Breweries in SF, I seem to recall this one is pretty good: Google Maps . It's been a while, and forgive me, because there is probably more than 30+ breweries in the area, but last time I went there I came home with 2 growlers, just don't remember what I got (likey a Stout and a red).

@custyota Thank you for visiting our state and spending out of state $$$!! :clap::clap::clap:
@marcfj60 I don't know my schedule yet, and much will depend on whether we get snow. I'd be up for running around the hills... Maybe firm things next week when we see a better forecast

Thanks for the info everyone! Trying to finalize my plans with the lady friend today or tomorrow. (she keeps changing the leaving SD date) I'm definetly down to meet up for a beer and some easy wheeling. I definetly understand it is Christmas and most of you probably have kids and family stuff going on.

Unfortunately my husband and I both have to work through Christmas eve & the Saturday before Christmas is the only time available. If you were staying longer, after is easier during the work week.

I'm thinking the 23rd would be the best day for me and sounds like others.

I am no longer available. My wife and daughter have been sick all week so all the stuff they had planned to get done the week before Christmas all got moved to the weekend. But for something easy-moderate, I would drive up to the Jemez mountains. From Santa Fe, go through Los Alamos on Hwy 4, to the junction of Hwy 126. This road goes to Cuba. It's paved at both ends but dirt in the middle. There are a bunch of FS roads that split off from 126 that you can do some exploring on and then head back to 126 if you encounter a gate or roads that are rougher than you like. If you can make it to a Forest Service office, ask them for a Motor Vehicle Use Map. It will tell you what roads are open to motorized travel and provides and ok map too.

I am no longer available. My wife and daughter have been sick all week so all the stuff they had planned to get done the week before Christmas all got moved to the weekend. But for something easy-moderate, I would drive up to the Jemez mountains. From Santa Fe, go through Los Alamos on Hwy 4, to the junction of Hwy 126. This road goes to Cuba. It's paved at both ends but dirt in the middle. There are a bunch of FS roads that split off from 126 that you can do some exploring on and then head back to 126 if you encounter a gate or roads that are rougher than you like. If you can make it to a Forest Service office, ask them for a Motor Vehicle Use Map. It will tell you what roads are open to motorized travel and provides and ok map too.

I hope every one feels better, thanks for the info!

Anyone recomend a easy to moderate trail for Sunday the 23rd? @Manona @Dumpolina @slimbuddha @marcfj60 y'all avail?
Hmmmmmm my schedule is whacked... not sure what Sunday looks like but maybe.
@marcfj60 's suggestion on 126 is good, we were up there for the snow run and its such a nice taste of northern NM. Its not a "trail" at all, but can be a little challenging for stock rigs if the ice/snow/mud is plentiful.
Agreed there are some nice splinters off 126 that can be fun.
I'll know better Saturday if I can get away.
@Pyro-boy any suggestions over your way for something a little more challenging?

126 is one of the main access roads and as @marcfj60 said, you can take it to Cuba, though that's quite a haul back to Santa Fe on highway.
If you drive through Los Alamos on Hwy 4 you can go to La Cueva and hang aright on 126; then left on Forest Road 376 and take it to 485 back to Hwy 4. You can drive from there back to La Cueva or turn right until it T's with 550 and take it back to Santa Fe for a loop. 376 is a pretty well traveled road, but a nice drive.

144 is a nice one off of 126 as well. It may have some ice on it , but probably not too bad.

We won't be able to make it Sunday; my husband's kids are in town and we need to take them back to Abq that day to meet up with their mom.

There's also FR 10 off of 4, connecting between the Valles Caldera and La Cueva on the north and Ponderosa/Jemez Pueblo on the South; that's a nice one. There's some ruins as well as rock formations to check out. On the northern end you can take FR 270 and follow it until the gate. Walk past the gate 1/4 miles to the fire tower. Best views in the Jemez from the top and last 1/4 mile before the gate (though the last mile is bumpy as hell).

If you want I can make a quick map on caltopo and forward the link to you.

I now have Christmas eve off and free after 10am and could do a ride to the lookout on Christmas Eve day; unfortunately Todd still has to work.

@custyota sorry I’m not able to get away tomorrow.

Thanks for the information I really appreciate it. I’m currently 5 hrs from Santa Fe. I’ll post my plans this evening once I get in town.

F746520E-73DA-4DE8-9571-FF091CE6EDC9.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the information, I really appreciate it!!! I’ll let you know where I end up or get stick :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom