Visiting Maze in Spring, what spare parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will be visiting Utah in the spring with family. Early April. Driving to Chimney rock in the Maze district and then hiking out from there. 7 nights. Can’t wait, super excited, its been 15 years.
I’ve driven out to chimney rock three times in two different ford explorers. One explorer was a 4 door with a step and tow hitch, so clearance wasn’t great but we didn’t seem to have much trouble. There is a tough section around teapot rock but the rest was pretty easy. I figure I shifted to 4wd-lo only 2 or 3 times in those explorers, and I believe I could have done it with just rear drive.
I expect this trip should be a snap in my lifted bj60 since it has so much more clearance and stiffer springs than those explorers.
That said, I ran into someone today that had also driven out there, said when he drove it he ran into a 60 series with a broken axle. Gulp. How common is that?
So… I know there’s lots of pretty serious 4wd driving done by people on here and this trail ain’t that, not so extreme though truck will be loaded with family, gear, water. It would Really Suck if the truck broke out there (but from ranger stories it does make for a very happy tow truck driver.)
I wont be looking for driving adventure, not driving if its wet or muddy, just taking it slow. What sort of parts should I be bringing just in case?

2.5” lift with stock tires should be more than fine, right?

For example: I have some big c-clamps for the springs but is something like a spare birfield necessary?

My gut says this truck will have no issue but I'm a newb.

Thanks.

I asked a similar question a while back in the 80 section. Along with some pretty good smart*** remarks, I also got some seemingly sound advice that I think would apply to 60 owners. If your interested: Backcountry Emergency Parts List

Stating the obvious here; but the first thing you would want to do is maintenance including a thorough inspection of belts, hoses, fluids, etc...

And of course the best insurance is to bring another vehicle along. Last year while on that same trail my friends 80 lost a front brake caliper bolt. Threads were stripped out. We put 4 batteries together and tried to weld the bolt in place but it didn't hold. Had to make a run to Green River for tap and new bolt.

Unfortunately that trail is becoming more and more popular. It wouldn't be wise to plan on it, but chances are if you had problems you wouldn't have to wait long before help came along.

Interested in what the 60 aficionados here recommend to bring along :popcorn:

60 axles rarely break under mild 'wheeling.

I wouldn't bring extra birfields, etc., based on your 'wheeling style, but do bring the usual stuff - spare (old) belts, maybe some hoses (or be sure yours are good) and gear oil, motor oil, and antifreeze and PS fluid. Maybe some tuneup parts, too. The key thing is to bring 5 gallons of water and as the other reply indicated, go with someone else. Don't push the vehicle beyond obvious common-sense limits.

You are driving a Land Cruiser which is the best preparation. While nothing is unbreakable, it is more likely that you will end up helping somebody else. 60 axles are plenty stout.

The road has gotten a tad harder in the last few years but nothing too nuts. In our built rig with 35's it's a piece of cake, just amble along and view the sights if you want, or play it rally KOH style (my preference). In a stock rig (we had a stock late model LOADED taco with us last time) it'll take some thinking and picking the right lines but you've done it before so you know what it's like.. In a 60 with 33's and an OME suspension, it wouldn't be a big deal. it'd be entertaining wheeling in some spots, but nothing you'd need a spotter for or anything. Certainly nothing you'd risk breaking parts on. As was mentioned, the cruisers are pretty tough in relatively stock form and this in my opinion is pretty mild wheeling. Just don't go out and act all boneheaded and you'll be fine.

I have a v8 and tend to hammer it pretty hard (ok, really hard) so I usually take a rear long side axle and i have a rear driveshaft strapped to my slider. If the s*** hits the fan you could get out in RWD 2wd so think about that also. how badly do you really need a front birf? not really. You could dig the pieces out if it broke and keep going. You're probably not going to bend a rear drive shaft out there and if you did you could still get out. If it was bent super pretzle (highly, highly unlikely) you could pull it and get out in front wheel drive maybe backing up some stuff carefully. A transfer case... I used to take one with me but after several years of driving the crap out of my rig in the desert and not having an issue I stopped taking one. I have also not broken an axle yet (yep, I just cursed myself) and I run stockers.

SO... what to take? extra fuel, oil and crap you'd take on a normal trip where you didn't want to be stranded. A NICE tool kit, spare stuff like might be suggested in the linked thread. Extra water. Belts. Plenty of beer. a camera. I like to take ignition parts like plugs and wires. If you're alone and don't have dual batts, maybe throw in a spare just in case. jumper cables and welding rods. bailing wire. your recovery gear.

Anyways, my actual tool/part list is pretty long but it's not nuts. it's what I always carry and I don't modify it for Utah trips. think of what you use to work on your rig on a daily basis and create the tool kit.

Also... this kinda sucks, but it is what it is and could be helpful... AT&T has service at chimney rock. like full on post on face book type service. Verizon has OK service. enough to make a call, certainly text. Now, don't go out and depend on that, but the last few years it has worked for us there. also, believe it or not... at the friggin doll house there is AT&T. Ugh. It ain't so remote anymore.

One last thing, last time we were out there we bumped into a lone guy in a rover.. so hell, if he is back there by himself.. well you know.

here's our last trip:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=20507&highlight=maze+2013

and 2011

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16808&highlight=maze+2011&page=6

Last edited:
Great! Thanks for the responses. You guys are good writers. I can show this thread to the wife so don't add anything rash. ;)

Glad the birf is overkill. Good point about workarounds for axle woes. Belts is a good idea. Also bringing the fsm.

Truck is Diesel. Uses a lot less fuel when going slow and very simple.

Bringing the kids so will be bringing an abundance of water. First time ever I'm bringing some... aaaaaaa... camp chairs.

Funny story: we were there in late August once. Hot and no people. Hide from the heat. 1993? hiked out from chimney rock, around pete's mesa. 3 night's returning into a beautiful sunset. Walking up the trail to the car in the distance. The light on the windshield is sort of weird... we are still walking after sunset.. kinda looks like the dome light is on... ford explorer, automatic... no push start... stock battery.

Run to the truck and sure enough we'd left the dome on for 3 days. Lucky the truck just started. No drama.

On that trip we drove out via Hite: long road. never doing that again.

Thanks for sharing the pics. I can't wait to be back though my legs will feel it.

I was out there this spring in my 80 series. It's a good trail, very scenic, and other than a few ledges and drops, is pretty easy. I doubt you will have problems.

If you are running stock fronts, I'd upgrade those way before I'd worry about the rear axles. Anything can break, but we are talking relative risk here. But yes, a spare birf and front axles are very good spares to have. The rears should be fine. Just don't go full retard.

Make sure the whole truck is tight and ship shape, and you will do well. It is long and somewhat tedious, so it will expose anything that is loose, done poorly, etc. Check your knuckle studs every day after you park for the night. Do that without fail.

The Maze is quite interesting. No gas or water for hundreds of offroad miles.

Utah2013091640x480_zpsc4ca32d4.jpg

Utah2013094640x480_zpsba97dae1.jpg

Utah2013104640x480_zpsc8c00512.jpg

Hi All, well trip came and went, finally I've found time to post.

1) Driving to Utah.
- Didn't realize I had parent teacher conferences scheduled for the morning of my departure, so didn't get out of town until 10:30am.
- I love sleeping in the car, a handy campground or the side of the road. Just this once the family prevailed on me to get a hotel. I booked a place in twin falls id.
- Dang it, crossing into Oregon and see that sign, twin falls 384 miles. It was a long day. Arrived at 9pm with a crick in me neck.
- You just gotta get used to being passed by everything and anything. My favorite was the motorhome towing the avalanche with the full size mx bikes in the bed with a fishing boat on top.
- My GPS cruising speed was 62mph. The big highways are very slow-friendly though. No drama except passing through the crazy that is Provo where everyone felt the need to cut me off due to what must be the lack of respect I have for my braking distance.
- BJ60 at 62mph averaged 22mpg, that's with bikes on back and the truck full of stuff.
- Pretty much every single gas station had folks, especially teen agers, that were intensely interested in the truck. Lots of opening the hood to show it was a diesel.
- Accosted in Moab by some guy, drove out of his way to ridicule my truck (you drive all the way from Washington in that thing?) When he found out it was diesel he lightened up a bit, but then: no way should you take that to the maze. I dunno. Less risk tolerance than me?
- Throughout the trip the truck's warm idle started to climb... I'm thinking diaphragm! Worried about it the whole trip. Of course after returning to Seattle - literally as soon as I get that leather diaphragm in hand - the idle drops back to normal.
2) Driving in the maze.
- Fully loaded with 45 gallons of water, food for 4 people for 9 nights, camp stuff, bikes, etc, etc.
- Simply no problem driving the truck on that road. Love the clearance, makes everything easy.
- In the explorer I'd build little ramps out of rocks, in the 60 Id get out to kick the rocks and debris off the trail.
- Love the turning radius. Getting to doll's house was no issue, there's one big step but its fine if you take it at an angle.
- Driving out was even easier than driving in, I think because of the water weight.
3) Used to be I'd stress about getting to a gas station on the way out. This time I had > 1/3 tank left and that's after visiting horseshoe canyon, cruising blm roads the next day, and taking the dirt road back to green river. Averaged 17mpg from green river to doll's house and back, which is pretty awesome. Explorer I think saw 12mpg for the same trip.
4) Every day I spent in the maze was better than the last. Love that place. Thinking I might hide the truck and move there full time? Subsist on petty theft?
5) Kids and family tolerated it, pooping in bags, etc was no big deal, but I think there have been other vacations they enjoyed more. :(
6) Driving home: nothing exciting but slept at Craters of the Moon park, a little out of the way for me but worth it. Reminds me its much nicer to travel the west on the smaller roads. Nice terrain and terrific people.
D7000_2014_03_29-18_06_31_jpg.jpg
D7000_2014_03_30-17_58_38_jpg.jpg
D7000_2014_04_02-07_53_07_jpg.jpg
D7000_2014_03_30-10_58_38_jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome back to Utah, State Motto is "Turn signals are a sign of weakness"

Glad you enjoyed your trip through my home state. It is so vast I will never see all of it in my lifetime. The Toyotas I have owned have always done me right no matter where I went. I even pulled a dead Jeep (no surprise) oven Elephant Hill back in '91 with a bone stock '85 Toyota truck.

And lets see. Forgot to mention:
- kept hitting the exhaust pipe. Dang thing sticks out below the bumper. Should have had it exit the side. I was warned but it just looks so high up, how could it hit anything?
- never hit the u-bolts that stick out way below the axle
- truck is a 5 speed, 1st gear in 4wd low is really low. Very easy to drive with the throttle.
- Speakers 'n stereo: My front door speakers are JL Labs C2-400x. Fit into the stock mounts. Sound is nice and soft, so my ears didn't bleed after days in the car. The head unit is a kenwood x397 which integrates beautifully with the iPhone. Really helps to have days of music to groove on. I used waze for navigation and it was perfect. Rear speakers are some old kenwoods. "Boom"
- Utah... I really like the state, er, the geology at least. I like some of the fellow touristas I met. But dang, SLC is a mighty burb-clave. I went out of my way to find local quality eats. Would stop and ask locals where to go. Most often I'd get recommendations to go to mcdonalds, arbys, or any of a 100 other soulless franchised machines. Applebys? Red Lobster? Sizzler? WTF. Always there is fantastic food at some family place that had been holding out for 40 years. Had some fine bacon and sausage. Bison ribeye. Venison. There are people everywhere that know a lot about food, the trick is finding them amongst the space aliens.
- Shout out to "Mill Creek Cacao Roasters". Who'd a thunk the best chocolate I've ever had would be in SLC. One of a few places in the states that makes cacao from the bean. Very, very good. $15/pound if you buy in bulk at the "factory". Made a torte with it when I got home. Yeah, divine. Their coffee isn't bad either.

Sweet!! Glad you had a good time! it's a special place. where'd yall hike?

We hiked out north from chimney rock and slept in the rock fall that leads up to Pete's mesa, then summited the next day. Did a day hike into the maze. Did the shot canyon/water canyon loop. The trails are all still there from 20 years ago but not on the map any more. I hiked out to the chocolate drops and down to the harvest scene (that trail is a bit exposed for the kids.) Rest of the time was spent loitering and exploring those awesome ridges out above the maze. Kids loved the game of route finding to leave no trace.

I have this heavy Northface ve25 tent. Was a free warranty replacement but its too heavy to carry, sort of bummed about it but use it for car camping. Well this trip it earned my admiration as it was seriously windy on a few nights. Was nice and quiet after setting up 10+ guy wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom