Visiting Beech Mountain, suggestions for offroading (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The family and I are visiting Beech Mountain June 23rd to end of July. I'm bringing my 1988 4Runner with the intention to do some offroading. I'd love some suggestions for anything close to that area. I know Uwharrie is a popular NC spot, but that looks 2.5 hours or so away from Beech. Anything in the Cherokee or Pisgah Nat forests?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Really there is just Forest Service roads no true offroading like what you have in Uwharrie. Blue Ridge Parkway is still a nice drive and there is some offshoots off of there that are unimproved roads but still maintained by the FS

Nearby is Richland Road forest road 192 or Old House Gap road. Get a good map, easy to find, or search in this club area for plethora of posts on both

I am staying at my uncles lake house at Lake James that weekend. If you want to run the roads that @Izzyandsue mentioned, let me know.

Thank you all for the info.

Izzyandsue & Patrick, I've watched some videos that you have posted of Richland Rd...looks great. I'd love to meet up and do that run with you. We arrive probably Friday June 23rd mid day. I imagine we'll be exhausted from the drive. So just spitballing here, Sunday morning might be best for me, but let me know your schedule. I'll PM you my phone number and email so we can coordinate.

Thanks again guys!

I'm working that weekend, so I can't make it. If anything changes I'll post up. I still haven't done Old House Gap. Also there is a Globe road that I can't figure out if it is closed or has been redone or renamed or what up by Blowing Rock.

Jason - sorry you have to work that weekend, glad to have you along if something changes.

Hey Cory, Just saw your post. I strongly recommend the Linville Falls area. There are a couple of spots, especially Wiseman's View and Table Rock, that are spectacular. They are both accessible by fireroads that do not involve serious wheeling.

By coincidence my family will be on Beech during the month of July. I will be coming up for weekends (someone has to work) and would love to get together. -Ted

Ted - sounds great and thank you for the tips on Wiseman's View and Table Rock. I'm going to send you a message with my contact info.

Make sure when you are going up Beech Mountain you keep an eye out for Deer Creek Falls. No deer, no creek, no falls!

@cruisermatt - thank you for the tip on Deer Creek Falls

@weejub - Oz looks pretty cool, I'll put that on the list of things to do

Thanks guys.

We're in Beech as of Thursday night. Did exploring a bit today on Richland Rd. We did maybe an hour of the trail, ran into some locals in an 87 Toyota. They said there was maybe 2 more hours of trail, so I'm definitely heading back later in the week.

IMG_5329_zps8kfjilye.jpg

IMG_5334_zps7ic26zmj.jpg

IMG_5331_zpsctj6w5ei.jpg

The 4Runner looks really nice Cory!

The Carolina Weekend show we watch just had a special about Beech Mountain and the Emerald Outback trail. The local rental company for OHV stated that the trail they use for their riders, but open to to anyone including cars "if you can find the trail." hrmpf

Can't find out much about it on the webz, though.

Thanks weejub. You anywhere near Boone?

My home in Pittsboro is about 3 hours away from Boone - just far enough to be too far for day trips :\

Glad ya made it out to explore. That whole trail can be run in under 2 hours so you might have covered more than you thought.

Last edited:
Glad ya made it out to explore. That whole trail can be run in under 2 hours so you might have covered more than you thought.

Pop across 321 and take 90 to mortimer. Go past up to edgemont and take a left on roseboro. Take that to the lost cove creek trailhead and fsr 192 is on right. Goes to cragg. Stay right at end and heads back down to edgemont.

Thank you very much for those tips. Definitely going to hit that area again. NC is such a beautiful state, wish we had trails like this back home.

We did Old House Gap Rd yesterday. Definitely not as technical as Richland, but lots of off camber stuff, a few rocky sections and very scenic. Really appreciate the tips on where to offroad. Going to head back to Richland hopefully later this week to finish it.

IMG_5400_zpsnromdv7l.jpg

IMG_5403_zpse4mloqfn.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom