Visiting Albuquerque area and looking for trail recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi folks, I’m from KC and my wif and I decided to hop in the 200 and explore NW this week. We don’t have much of a plan other than spending a couple days in Albuquerque, Sante Fe, and Taos. We’re currently in Albuquerque.

We have a plan for tomorrow in Albuquerque and will be driving to Santa Fe on Monday. Looking for an interesting way to get to Santa Fe potentially a non-pavement way route to Sante Fe from Albuquerque would be cool. Our current bit tentative plan is to take 14 up through Madrid. Even a nice, scenic, non pavement side trail to explore would be fun. Not looking for anything hard core as we are solo. My 200 is decently modified and capable but solo and with only my wife I don’t want really want to get out then max trax or use the winch.

After Santa Fe we head to Taos. Looking for the most scenic way to get to Taos from Santa Fe. I was thinking 503 and 76 but that’s just based on that not being how Google would do it.

Also, if anyone has and recommendations for things we “gotta see”, even if it’s a couple hour detour, I’d be interested in those suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

La Bajada Hill is (was?) a fun trip, Albuquerque to Santa Fe. I haven't been on it for 10 years or so. Probably could get some locals ready to hit it again!

Im in Santa Fe. The old la bajada rt66 switchbacks has been closed by the Cochiti Indian pueblo a few years ago. Hit me up and I'll point you to a cool drive thru BLM land near SF on some some fun dirt roads that will take you to an Indian pueblo if you are interested. I'll also show you some cool ways to get to Taos from SF. Definately take hw14 from Abq to SF.
Ed

Im in Santa Fe. The old la bajada rt66 switchbacks has been closed by the Cochiti Indian pueblo a few years ago. Hit me up and I'll point you to a cool drive thru BLM land near SF on some some fun dirt roads that will take you to an Indian pueblo if you are interested. I'll also show you some cool ways to get to Taos from SF. Definately take hw14 from Abq to SF.
Ed
Thanks! Definitely interested in BLM drive. I’ll PM you.

I'd spend few hours in Madrid, checking out the cool shops as they have some interesting stuff in there! It's Sunday so the town will be waking up slowly.

I sent you a PM too.

Ali

Had a good time today on the Caja del Rio. Thanks to @edt77 for the detailed info. We did our own 3 1/2 hour loop. Definitely did some "land cruising" as we did the way points in a different order and skipped some. Still getting used to OnX but it was pretty useful to find alternate paths to the waypoint I wanted.

500FCBE7-0BF4-4E22-8574-07D7E14DBA27.jpeg

Here's is a a couple shots from from one of our "short cuts":
B9CD1809-C90F-4D20-8D0C-602465C59728.jpeg
C5E45E09-4AF2-4919-B806-7A650DC3D827.jpeg

Wasn't sure if this was a set from Breaking Bad or the Walking Dead. Didn't look under the tarp... Don't know about NM, but in MO, you do not want to drive up on a meth lab. This didn't seem to have been recently occupied but the tarp did make me nervous.

At any rate, we had a blast. Thanks again @edt77. @alia176, it was great to meet you, have a coffee, and talk land cruisers.

On the way to Taos, hop off of 68 at Pilar onto 570 and make your way around to the Gorge bridge via West Rim Road. If you hang a left when you get to 64 you can check out the Earthships. Rio Grande del Norte National Monument, in Questa has some great hikes down from the rim of the gorge to the river, Big Arsenic being one of our favorites.

On the way to Taos, hop off of 68 at Pilar onto 570 and make your way around to the Gorge bridge via West Rim Road. If you hang a left when you get to 64 you can check out the Earthships. Rio Grande del Norte National Monument, in Questa has some great hikes down from the rim of the gorge to the river, Big Arsenic being one of our favorites.

I second this side trip as it is really a cool area close to Taos. I'll have to put Big Arsenic on my list of destinations. Thank you for that!

I second this side trip as it is really a cool area close to Taos. I'll have to put Big Arsenic on my list of destinations. Thank you for that!
@alia176 the bottom of Big Arsenic is one of those places in NM where you realize how lucky we are that we’re not Colorado. It’s incredible and RGDNNM is criminally undertrafficed.

Bill,

Bring that rig of down to breakfast this sat, would love to check it out. :)

You guys in NM don’t joke around with bow shackles:

705EB0D3-0ADD-4C6F-AABA-2D2C6B334848.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom