Visible exhaust at startup/EGR question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Another “I searched, but didn’t find what I was looking for” quick thread. Question is, can a clogged EGR lead to increased (visible) exhaust in general, or specifically after sitting?

It’s visible at startup, increased emissions smell but nothing extreme, white/gray but not thick - I would say it’s like what you see in winter from many cars. 1FZ approaching 220K, almost all baseline parts in good shape or recently replaced/serviced, runs great all day every day. I’m aware of water vapor/condensation and all that, just don’t know what’s normal for these engines.

I don’t lose any coolant / no coolant in oil, confirmed by analysis. Wouldn’t be surprised if I do use a little oil, but don’t have reason to believe this is the cause, and no blue tint. It happens when the truck has sat overnight, or when I leave work. Clears up pretty quickly, engine just needs to warm up a little - I can drive for a couple miles or so and the exhaust is then totally clear with decreased smell. I have never been able to see my exhaust outside of this scenario, first startup after sitting.

I’m not thinking it’s related to the HG, but would think it’s gotta be more than condensation/water vapor? Not something I’m worried about, but it’s more than other vehicles I’ve owned, so I’m curious. The one guess I can currently make is I know my EGR is clogged. I generally understand how they work, but am not well-versed beyond that. Did a quick test on the charcoal canister and believe that needs to be dealt with, but also thinking it’s likely the VSV, as I found some history on that malfunctioning years ago, but haven’t tested further - truck has had the 0401 code for some time (I’ve only owned it a little over a year).

Thanks in advance. Not looking for info on fixing the EGR, as there are plenty of threads out there and we don’t have smog tests here, just wondering if it could be related. Otherwise, any ideas I can look into?

Last edited:
EGR has nothing to do with it. It is just water vapor you are looking at. The colder the exhaust coupled with the ambient temp, gives you water vapor. It disappears because the water completely changes to a gas before it exits the tailpipe as the exhaust temperature increases. Water is a natural and healthy byproduct of the combustion process. It's a good thing.

It smells because the vehicle is in open loop when the engine temp is cold and the catalytic covers are cold as well. The truck runs richer on cold start to help heat things up quicker. Also a good thing.

If you have no coolant loss, then I also suspect you very slightly are burning more oil as well. Likely from old valve seals.

Thank you sir, I suppose that’s what I was hoping for, just didn’t know how much was normal for these, as like I said, it’s more than other vehicles I’ve owned and driven.

Valve seals were the only other thing that came up when I searched. Didn’t know if the fact that it clears up quickly would still allow that to be the case. I do lose a little bit of oil between changes, but have attributed that to an obvious (although slow) leak from the oil pump area. PO did valve cover, dizzy o-ring, plug tube seals, and claimed to do the oil pump cover, but it appears to be coming from there. Slow enough to not be an issue, just keep it topped off if necessary for now.

Last edited:
I've never owned a vehicle that put out as much water vapor on cold startup as my Land Cruiser. No idea why.

Oh, and I had a puff of bluish smoke on startup, which indicates oil. Not enough to see from inside the vehicle, I only noticed when using the remote start. I switched from Mobil 1 0W-40 to 10W-40 High Mileage, which has more seal sweller. No more puff of smoke and I barely have to add any oil between changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom