Viscous coupler is "seized." (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok, jack up one tire, put in neutral and see if it spins?

ok, jack up one tire, put in neutral and see if it spins?
You can also to tight corners in high range on dry pavement with your CDL switch OFF. If the tires chirp and it bucks, then your VC is locked up. They typically fail locked, not open.

It will mimic how it feels in a tight corner with your CDL switch on, because that's basically what it's doing.

You can also to tight corners in high range on dry pavement with your CDL switch OFF. If the tires chirp and it bucks, then your VC is locked up. They typically fail locked, not open.

It will mimic how it feels in a tight corner with your CDL switch on, because that's basically what it's doing.
That only works if it's completely seized. They tend to die slow deaths. A tire off the ground should be movable with some effort. If not, it's on the way out.

Make sure you chock the wheels or are on a level surface. Even in park, if any wheel loses traction the vehicle can move.

Drove the rig 2+ hours last night with highway. SO MUCH BETTER manners with no VC. Zero clunk in driveline. As a matter of fact, I think a clunk that was there is now gone.

Drove the rig 2+ hours last night with highway. SO MUCH BETTER manners with no VC. Zero clunk in driveline. As a matter of fact, I think a clunk that was there is now gone.
and my birfs quit binding. I thought they were getting bad before removing it. No doubt they would have been MUCH sooner with 280k neglected miles

Any recommended video's or threads on how to remove it?

Good write up that I used, no photos unfortunately: Tutorial: removing the viscous coupler (photos)

OTRAMM has a good youtube video on replacing the transfer case gears or something. They had the transfer case on the bench, but it gave me a good idea of what I'm looking at. From my experience, it's pretty hard to mess up.

One thing that I did that I haven't seen others do is I filled the transfer case with cheap fluid afterwards and drove it for ~100 miles or so like that just to flush out any junk that might have been introduced after splitting the case. Filled it with Mobil 1 75W-90 after that.

Also should add that I wanted to use FIPG like from the factory but I didn't have any at the time, so I used Permatex Ultra Grey and I haven't had any leaks. I probably could have done a better job cleaning the gasket mating surfaces too.

Unfortunately I had a shop diagnosing my no CDL issue (and replace my output seals), and I had them do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom