Viper Cut or No Viper Cut? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon!

I am considering undertaking a DIY viper cut on my '08 LX570. Looking for more clearance first and foremost but if done correctly I personally think it looks pretty cool too. I am trying to add clearance as well as keep weight down w/o adding a full replacement bumper. A TT HWM is likely in the cards later on but not at the moment. Below I have included a horrendous paint image of my truck with a crude yellow line showing what I am thinking. I would like for it to be a gentle curve that blends as close as possible to the factory lines. I want to leave the center section at this point because there is some reinforcement attachments there so there is very little movement at highway speeds. The following picture is of a GX I found on Google which is pretty close to what I am considering and I also included the only other LX570 viper cut I found during my search on this forum. I'd like to hear opinions, thanks!
1655329298293.png

1655328978035.png

1655328916021.png

I'm not a fan of the look, but it definitely serves a purpose.

I'd opt to not cut anything until you're 100% sure you need it.

Every other Tacoma and 4Runner seems to have this cut. It looks great on those rigs. With even aftermarket bumpers / armor following the lines of this cut.

@MTKID did exactly what you're proposing

1655332098926.png

I've been debating too. Frankly with the amount of lift and tire size I have (6.5" lift in high), along with the tidier body lines on the 07-11 LXs, I haven't had much of an issue.

And you’re right @TeCKis300, I completely forgot that @MTKID did same thing I’m proposing. There is definitely an aesthetic component to this mod as well as a practical. Can’t really undo it if you don’t like it though other then shelling out for a new bumper, paint job, etc.

And you’re right @TeCKis300, I completely forgot that @MTKID did same thing I’m proposing. There is definitely an aesthetic component to this mod as well as a practical. Can’t really undo it if you don’t like it though other then shelling out for a new bumper, paint job, etc.
Maybe find a beat up front bumper that’s already the right color on eBay, cut that strategically to get rid of the beat up parts.

It’s not my thing - but if you are willing to cut the bumper just leave it on. If you ding it, no loss.

You are gonna drag your booty before the front bumper is an issue In my experience.

It’s not my thing - but if you are willing to cut the bumper just leave it on. If you ding it, no loss.

You are gonna drag your booty before the front bumper is an issue In my experience.
Very true.

Yeah, the back end is a liability before the front

Appreciate everyone’s input. I’ve decided to scrap this idea and focus on the 4.30 regear instead!

I'm late to the party, but agree that the rear bumper is the most likely to drag. The corners, specifically.

0C1910FA-F581-4EDF-A04D-E9991644710A.jpeg

I've been thinking about this lately and I've basically come to the conclusion that as long as the plastic bumper cover is readily available, I'll just leave it on and beat it up (more, it's already pretty beat). If it gets ugly enough it really bothers me, or I decide to sell the truck, then I'll just replace at that time.

I was half hoping someone else would cut the bumper. I've been on the fence to do it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom