VIP keyless entry system fob won’t lock: 1997 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a factory VIP keyless entry system (a non-alarm unit, keyless only) in my ‘97 80. Until today the fob (the later 2 button unit) has worked to lock and unlock the doors normally, however today it will only unlock. The lock function doesn’t work, as if the car thinks there’s a door open. Any help in figuring out where to start troubleshooting is appreciated. I have already determined that all the buttons that control the courtesy lights/ door open lights seem to work normally. Thanks!

Update: when I press the fob button when I’m in the car I can hear something behind the dash clicking both when it unlocks AND when I press it the second time, when it should lock but doesn’t. Seems like the fob signal is triggering something in the dash even though it’s not actually locking the doors…

In case anyone has the same problem and finds this, the problem was the door control unit: part number 85980-60110. It's easy to replace-- behind the driver door card at the bottom outer corner, but replacement can be done without removing the door card.

$416 part?
Yep, ridiculous. I had a good used one. There aren’t any used listed online that I found, but if you find someone parting out you’d probably get one cheap. Also the module snaps open very easily and I’d be willing to bet a cleaning or some simple soldering could fix it…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom