Vintage TOYOTA MOTOR Hand Tools and "TEQ" Accessories (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Possibly mounted something like this :)

8AFAD99A-0FE0-4199-B644-DAF922BFD4B9.png

Envious. After staring at it for awhile, noticed it must be homemade Japanese, not Toyota-made. The letters O in "Toyota" and "Motor" are using zeros and are slightly taller than the surrounding letters...You can see the difference with the counter sign in the photo above. While we English speakers could also not notice the distinction, many Japanese are not as well acquainted with our alphabet and not distingush between the letter O and a zero. (Lord knows I cannot distinguish between any Japanese characters !)

T0Y0TA M0T0R. vs. TOYOTA MOTOR.

Not to detract from its uniqueness. Good find.

G00d eyes Michael. I can see the difference in the sign and the one John posted. Perhaps the dealer commissioned a Japanese sign maker who wasn't terribly versed in the English alphabet, as you alluded to.

As mentioned in the top of my previous post, I'll be paring down quite a bit of what I've collected over the last three years, most of which has been seen in this thread at one time or another. I've traded away or sold some, but still have a bunch to clear out. Keep an eye out in the classifieds in the coming weeks If you are interested in pretty tough to find old Toyota stuff.

I was really excited to get my hands on this report. Looks original but barely used, maybe others have seen one before but I sure haven’t. Scanned the whole thing in. This is Toyota’s corporate confidential report on their plans for making inroads into sales in USA.

here’s a link to the entire file

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That is a fantastic find!!!

Never seen that before... great info in there

what does the cover look like?

Some lc pics are new... and many of the toyopet pics as well

@stephows .... been some time since u have been here ... but... you’ll like this paper about the toyopet and early USA entry by toyota

Last edited:
That is a fantastic find!!!

Never seen that before... great info in there

what does the cover look like?

Some lc pics are new... and many of the toyopet pics as well
It’s just a 3-clip generic blank blue binder, that first photo is the first page. I have no idea where this came from or how it survived so well but it sure is interesting! I haven’t had a chance to read the entire thing yet.

Wow that’s a cool document. I’m hoping there’s no security issues being a confidential document 😛.

Is there a good point of reference on pronunciation of Toyopet? Emphasis on Toy or Yo?

Thank-you for that Scoobie. Just leafed through it--looks like 1958/59 published date?

They really pushed that Toyopet with just glimpses of Land Cruisers. Would be interesting to see the confidential report on the failure of the Toyopet and the revision to the plan newly stressing the Land Cruisers as the spearhead into the American market. It also shows where their intent was to sell cars, not 4wds, but they misanalyzed the US market by believing the VW success could be easily copied when the market wanted Detroit iron.

Of course, they ultimately achieved phenomenal success by fully researching their potential customers in all of the countries where they now dominate.

Thanks for the glimpse into the past !

AWESOME NATHAN!!! The fact that it's written in English is a major bonus for many of us on MUD - most literature from that period is Japanese. I have a 863 page 20th Anniversary History of Toyota book from 1958 written in Japanese. Translations are sometimes tough. It talks about the difficulty Toyota had penetrating the North American market and the struggles endured during the war.

What is clear, is the Toyoda family cultured a work environment where quality is of the utmost importance, and innovation was encouraged. All job positions, from the folks who mopped the floors, to the officers and directors who made billion dollar decisions, were of equal importance. Lessons oft forgotten.

The book is far too large to scan, but will happily search for something should anyone want.

15922617864422575691848061938157.jpg

It says that it gets, "24mpg in the most rugged terrain." Maybe the imperial gallon, or 19 mpg US?
Ha these things always crack me up - the brochure for the 45LV says 80mph top speed!!

AWESOME NATHAN!!! The fact that it's written in English is a major bonus for many of us on MUD - most literature from that period is Japanese. I have a 863 page 20th Anniversary History of Toyota book from 1958 written in Japanese. Translations are sometimes tough. It talks about the difficulty Toyota had penetrating the North American market and the struggles endured during the war.

What is clear, is the Toyoda family cultured a work environment where quality is of the utmost importance, and innovation was encouraged. All job positions, from the folks who mopped the floors, to the officers and directors who made billion dollar decisions, were of equal importance. Lessons oft forgotten.

The book is far too large to scan, but will happily search for something should anyone want.

View attachment 2341131
wow... that thing looks almost new! agree with everything you mention about the culture at Toyota. I only wish that nostalgia was more important to them!

Here's a knitting machine tool box with its tools and accessories, for use with model NT-11. Toyota's first knitting machine was the NT-10 made in the early 50s, so I presume this is mid to-late 50s.

The little weights may look familiar (see post #124 in this thread). They are attached to their hangers, marked TOYOTA, and could have been intended to weigh down yarn to remove slack. I've always found them to be exceptionally cool for some goofy reason. Just like the look of them with the TEQ logo I guess.

20200711_075814.jpg

20200711_080026.jpg

20200711_080109.jpg

20200711_080233.jpg

20200711_080340.jpg

Last edited:
That KTC EHS-1 is a nice alternative to the vintage 6-wrench blue clip. It is essentially identical in design, just has different markings.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for pamphlets and brochures etc, but I found a couple more interesting ones recently. This first one I think some of you have probably seen before. The second one I hadn't seen, the checklist is kind of cool.
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 9.22.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 9.22.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 9.22.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 9.23.00 PM.png

😎!

Anti-freeze was optional equipment? Wonder what was baselined to lower the boiling point of water in the ”coolant” system and to provide corrosion resistance?

Don‘t remember a Farrow Repair Service in Steamboat Spgs. in 1966, but I was way too young to drive and my mom wanted us to have a piano instead of a Jeep (Land Cruiser). My friend’s parents had one. None of us played the piano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom