Vintage TOYOTA MOTOR Hand Tools and "TEQ" Accessories (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oops Brost, forgot that an engine adjust kit and owners manual came in a 69 roll. Here's a pic of a complete one.

And anyone reading this, I'm looking for early engine adjust kits like the one below. Got some pretty cool stuff to trade if you can part with yours.

20190331_121611.jpg

Thanks for the information @dmamj .

Hope to add a a period correct tool bag to my unit one day if possible.

Here's a 30-year commerative 9.5mm (3/8") drive ratchet made by KTC. Possibly produced to mark the 30th anniversary of the Shizuoka plant, or maybe for the 30th anniversary of the Shizuoka Toyota dealership? Just not certain. Wish I knew the history. Nice gold tone and comes in a cool little presentation tube.

KTC seems to be the only one still making toyota-like tools. They sell the grease guns, wooden handle screw drivers, wrenches + wrench clips, pliers, spark plug socket, and maybe a couple of other things. All made in Japan. Are they still somehow and early toyota tool manufacture just with a new name?

DesertFJ40, KTC, or Kyoto Tool Company, has been manufacturing pliers, open end wrenches, box wrenches, ratchet handles, sockets, adjustable wrenches, and who knows what else for Toyota since the early 1950s.

As far as I know, only the very early tools KTC made for Toyota were stamped or embossed with BOTH the Toyota and KTC logos. Take a look at post #s 128 & 129 in this same thread for an example. Also see post 139, which explains it a bit more. That came from KTC's website. I think around 1956 or 1958 KTC removed their logo from tools produced for Toyota. They've been making tools for them since, albeit with different Toyota markings over the years. I like trying to hunt down the super early ones, like the one you'll see in the next post.

To be continued....

So post #139 has a pic of what I thought were early Toyota KTC tools, but alas, I was wrong. Take a look at the these pics....

First, the top wrench in the picture below is one I just got in, compared to one of the wrenches in post #139 (which I thought was an early one made for Toyota). There are a couple obvious differences.

20190830_182506.jpg

Here is the reverse. Same NICKEL-CHROME-VANADIUM. But take a closer look at the right side of the top wrench. See the secret little marking?

20190830_183715.jpg

Here's a zoom of the mark.

20190830_175746.jpg

It's the cool little Katakana "Toyota" mark.
So this is one of the earlier KTC Toyota tools, not the ones in post 139 as I originally thought. Learned something new!

These Driver Kits were available as accessories many moon ago. Has extra bulbs, fuses, and the tape is a nice touch. The bulbs in this one are not Koito and the wattages don't match up with the parts list on the reverse so I know the bulbs aren't original. Economist LC76 has a NOS kit and is checking to see if the bulbs in his are Koito.

Nice to stick in the glove box along with the touch up paint can and inspection lamp.

20190902_162001.jpg

20190902_161952.jpg

20190903_183431.jpg

20190903_183256.jpg

Here's a 30-year commerative 9.5mm (3/8") drive ratchet made by KTC. Possibly produced to mark the 30th anniversary of the Shizuoka plant, or maybe for the 30th anniversary of the Shizuoka Toyota dealership? Just not certain. Wish I knew the history. Nice gold tone and comes in a cool little presentation tube.

View attachment 2069548

View attachment 2069549

View attachment 2069552

Probably for a dealership.

No such thing as a Shizuoka Plant at Toyota during this time.

The only plants during that time would have been Kanto Auto Works which was a completely separate company which was sometimes used as an ad hoc body builder.

KAW is now Toyota Motors East, but this was a recent development (after 2011 earthquake).

This picture of an early forklift grease gun is from one of wscbill's posts. Believe he got the pic from @verryberries? I'm trying to figure out what model year forklift it was included with. Verryberries, you still around? Anyone else know?

125 - fork lift - grease pump verryberries.jpg

These Driver Kits were available as accessories many moon ago. Has extra bulbs, fuses, and the tape is a nice touch. The bulbs in this one are not Koito and the wattages don't match up with the parts list on the reverse so I know the bulbs aren't original. Economist LC76 has a NOS kit and is checking to see if the bulbs in his are Koito.

Nice to stick in the glove box along with the touch up paint can and inspection lamp.

View attachment 2075060

View attachment 2075062

View attachment 2075064

View attachment 2075066

That’s what I found on my bulbs
A4D75B2B-ADD4-4AA7-A553-468FA4A57DC2.jpeg

Thanks for checking those bulbs sir. The kit I had included Sylvania bulbs, and my current kit has Sylvania, Stanley, and bulbs made in Italy. Don't know why they all wouldn't be Koito, but if yours was NOS, maybe Stanley was the preferred brand.

JohnnyC , here's an ID plate from a Toyota Forklift with the Toyoda Automatic Loom Works logo. Anyway to decipher what year it is from? Did some research on the 2FG20 and came up somewhat empty.

1568350523454.png

Thanks for checking those bulbs sir. The kit I had included Sylvania bulbs, and my current kit has Sylvania, Stanley, and bulbs made in Italy. Don't know why they all wouldn't be Koito, but if yours was NOS, maybe Stanley was the preferred brand.

JohnnyC , here's an ID plate from a Toyota Forklift with the Toyoda Automatic Loom Works logo. Anyway to decipher what year it is from? Did some research on the 2FG20 and came up somewhat empty.

View attachment 2082061

This might assist you:

Here's a companion to the "tsunagi" in post #134 on page 7 of this thread. It's blue as opposed to the earlier white, and zippered instead of buttoned. The two pics below are from a 1981 tool catalog. The mechanic is working on an '81 Soarer, so we can surmise the tsunagi is from 1981 also.

Will make for a great last minute Halloween costume. Wish I had the hat too.

20190919_203924.jpg

20190921_150042.jpg

20190921_145935.jpg

20190921_145908.jpg

Last edited:
The time machine ventured off to a few decades ago again and returned to 2019 with this.

It's from a Toyota forklift of an unknown year. I'm guessing late 60's judging from the TEQ. Could be way off though - just can't pinpoint it.

The long rod is actually the jack rod, not the lug wrench handle, which the kit is missing. Lug wrench itself is a beefy 38mm and particularly cool. Looks like Toyota had to modify the shelf in the tool box, pushing the short tapered end a few millimeters to the left, making it a little skinnier on the bottom so the lug wrench would fit horizontally. The grease gun is well presented with the red cap and "Toyota TEQ Motor" lettering.

The pic of the forklift owners manual was taken from one of wscbill's threads again (I think @treerootCO took it), showing the contents. It matches what is in this box, less the lug wrench handle, so knowing what year that manual came out of would put us in the ballpark for the year the box was produced.

The box itself is in super nice shape.

20190921_153618.jpg

20190909_194723.jpg

Looks better without the cardboard 🙂.

20190921_154151.jpg
20190909_193352.jpg

20190909_193414.jpg

@dmamj Those boxes, were used in Land Cruisers too? But not under the driver's seat, correct? In the early to late 60s it was the jack and canvass tool roll in the compartment under the driver's side? Did they just come with the Cuiser?

@Dizzy US market Land Cruisers were equipped with the canvas tool rolls rather than the steel boxes, but yes, Toyota supplied Land Cruisers with the steel boxes in other markets, dating from at least 1956 (in BJ25s) to 1969. The boxes were also included with other Toyota vehicles, but I don't know if Toyota included them past 1969 in those.

Funny little emergency flag. It's about a foot long.

20190930_171810.jpg
20190930_171647.jpg

And then here is an unused chamois in a nice presentation box. Toyota even printed the part number on the chamois itself. The large Japanese text in the center translates to "Chamois Leather". Wrench is there for scale.

20190930_171913.jpg
20190930_171941.jpg
20190930_172002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom