Vintage TOYOTA MOTOR Hand Tools and "TEQ" Accessories (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

😎!

Anti-freeze was optional equipment? Wonder what was baselined to lower the boiling point of water in the ”coolant” system and to provide corrosion resistance?

Don‘t remember a Farrow Repair Service in Steamboat Spgs. in 1966, but I was way too young to drive and my mom wanted us to have a piano instead of a Jeep (Land Cruiser). My friend’s parents had one. None of us played the piano.
Ha I missed that! Maybe that just meant, if you want to drive home with antifreeze from the dealer you have to pay up ;) or BYOA (bring your own antifreeze).

Last edited:
Some good prices there. I'm goin' down to my nearest Rambler dealer and get me one of them Jap Jeeps !

Just got back from that address on your list --and plumb flustrated--ain't no Rambler dealer there-- jest some dang Walmart parking lot !

Oh, well, so much for getting me a brand-new Jeep for under $3,000 !!

Here is another pretty cool sign from the Loom Works division.

The thick white lines under TOYOTA translate to "Sewing Machine" and the Japanese text at the bottom says something similar to "Genuine Distributor". Can't quite figure it out.

It is 24" x 18", two-sided, and dates to the late 40s to early 50s, judging from the font in the word TOYOTA. That font is similar to the font used on their earliest sewing machines during that period. Toyota's first sewing machine, model HA-1 from 1946, has a very like style. See the last pic, which is from the web and not in the collection. Later, they changed to a bold, solid, somewhat italicized font, similar to what is stamped on their little weights and knitting machine boxes from the 50s and early 60s.

Enamel is in great shape. You can kind of see how it is raised in the pics. Nice vibrant colors - super cool look to it.

20200730_180140.jpg

20200730_180151.jpg

20200730_180242.jpg

toyota_sewing_machine_1946.jpg

13-piece socket wrench set, with 12.7mm (1/2") drive ratchet handle & extensions. The universal joint is also 12.7mm, as are most sockets. The shorter 19mm socket and sizes smaller than that are 9.5mm (3/8), and it comes with a 12.7mm to 9.5mm adapter.

15994227772488081277432667329974.jpg
15994228228661910491972084213755.jpg
1599422976095753736474026109739.jpg

For the sophisticated Toyota owner on those business trips, impress your cohorts with this fine tie clip.

Translations (thanks to my my new Japanese contact Toshi who maintains a blog on Japanese spanners and combination wrenches):

1st photo
TOYOTA Automobile Sales Training Center
TOYOTA トヨタ
Automobile Sales 自販
Training 研修
Center センター

2nd photo
Sales Manager Course Attending Remembrance
Sales 販売
Manage 管理者
Course コース
Attending 受講
Remembrance 記念 

3rd photo
Silver Color & Gold-filled
Silver Color 洋銀
Gold-filled 金張

20200924_182056.jpg

20200924_142413.jpg

20200924_182012.jpg

For the Up and coming TEq Younger Counter Culture , such as Me and Kieth

this is the way I Roll ..........

Untitled111.jpg

Awesome stuff!
Thank you mate for sharing with us!

====
1984 BJ42, frame-off restored, factory 5spd tranny, 4E9 Toyo beige
1983 BJ45 P/Up, resto project

Last edited:
It makes me wonder if there are our counterpart Toyota enthusiasts in Japan? What do the folks who build the Land Cruisers think of this thread. And, for so many people in the States, they have the same career as their parents and grandparents. I wonder who also has it in their blood there, but they just happened to live down the street from the factory.

It makes me wonder if there are our counterpart Toyota enthusiasts in Japan? What do the folks who build the Land Cruisers think of this thread. And, for so many people in the States, they have the same career as their parents and grandparents. I wonder who also has it in their blood there, but they just happened to live down the street from the factory.

1601130776053.png

1601130822891.png

This will add much to @Dizzy 's question ......

especially the JAPAN LAND CRUISER CLUB section ....

note: use the white arrows to scroll to the RIGHT ........

LINK HERE :

Big in Japan!
A young generation of North Americans and Japanese fraternize around medium chassis legends:
Mitsubishi (under licence built) Jeep and TLC BJ44...

Big in Japan!.jpg

I got this in the early 90s. It's been in one or another of my vehicles ever since
20200926_095908.jpg

IMG_20201009_205530_1.jpg
good day. Got these toyota tools at japan surplus stores. Different 6" pliers. (teq logo, toyota japan, toyota japan with number and toyota japan with letter and number) there are many available. Reversible screwdriver with toyota motor, also many available. But the 2 wooden handle screwdriver with toyota motor on its shaft and the other on its ferrule are the only items. And so with the 2 8" pliers with teq logo. Open end spanner also are many.

Thanks for the posts @pHilpineS . Nice collection of tools!

Regarding the yellow handle screwdriver, there are two variations. The earlier variant has the katakana "TEQ" Toyota logo like in your first picture. The other is essentially the same as the first, but without the katakana logo. I don't know exactly what year the earlier driver became available, but I estimate 1968. That earlier variant existed until the early 70s by my best guess, when Toyota removed the katakana logo. The variant without the logo was found in tool kits of several different Toyota models (including 40 series Land Cruisers in 1972 though 1983). A screwdriver with a black handle replaced the yellow-handle screwdriver at some point.

The 250mm angle wrench absent of "Made in Japan" was still made in Japan. Just like the screwdrivers, there were different iterations of the wrenches throughout the years, with different markings. The 250mm wrench in your photo has a small oval pad on the front, and that variation was found in early Toyota Land Cruisers. The 200mm wrench was not included in any 20 or 40 series Land Cruiser tool kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom