Vintage TOYOTA MOTOR Hand Tools and "TEQ" Accessories (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmamj

SILVER Star
Threads
Thought I’d start this as a supplement to wscbill’s “Tools, Tool Kits, Options, and Accessories” thread, which, incidentally is one of the most informative of any threads on MUD. Bill, I (we) owe you a big-time thanks for doing the research and sharing your findings. Someone like myself couldn’t have completed a correct tool bag without it. TreerootCO, I understand you had a hand in it also – thanks to you too – don’t want to demean your contributions, or anyone else’s for that matter. Those looking to build a tool kit/bag with period-correct tools who haven’t seen that thread, have a look – you won’t be disappointed.

Tools, Tool Kits, Options and Accessories

The intentions of this supplemental thread are simple:

· Muster up conversation about other vintage Toyota Motor tools and accessories which never made it into Land Cruiser tool kits, but would be cool in them nonetheless.

· Share pictures of your Toyota Motor tools and accessories

· Encourage MUDDERs to keep educating MUDDERs

· Be a launching pad for some buying, selling, and trading (definitely not trying to create another classified section, but don’t think it would be too terrible if a few deals were made as a result of this thread).

On to the meat and potatoes.

Tools that came in Land Cruiser tool kits from the 50’s – 80’s were open-end wrenches/spanners, 250mm adjustable wrenches, 200 mm pliers, screwdrivers with wood, yellow, or black handles, lug wrenches, those impossible to find OH and Maruki hammers, the grease pumps which I firmly believe only exist in legend, engine adjust kits, and spark plug wrenches. There were different iterations of each over the years. In addition to those tools, Toyota also stamped their name on a myriad of other “Standard” and “Recommended” tools. Thanks again to wscbill, (and full credit to him also) pictures of those tools can be found in a couple of old catalogs. The seven links below are pages 1 – 7 of a 1972 (or so) Toyota Motor tool catalog. Have a gander at each.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/media/pg-1.65822/full

https://forum.ih8mud.com/media/pg-2.65821/full

https://forum.ih8mud.com/media/pg-3.65820/full

https://forum.ih8mud.com/media/pg-4.65819/full

https://forum.ih8mud.com/media/pg-5.65818/full

https://forum.ih8mud.com/media/pg-6.65817/full

https://forum.ih8mud.com/media/pg-7.65816/full

Then a link to a 1981 catalog is here. It’s a nice color version written in Japanese.

We see some very cool stuff - a pipe wrench, ratchets, sockets, colorful acrylic-handled screwdrivers, honing stones, box wrenches, files, etc. Note the vast majority of the tools in both catalogs are marked TOYOTA MOTOR without the old Toyota “TEQ” logo (side bar: “T backwards E Q” are actually three Japanese Katakana characters which translate to “TO YO TA”). Absence of “TEQ” on the tools in the 1972 catalog may be relevant, as many of the early Land Cruiser tools and other Toyota models had that stamp. We can almost surmise the practice of stamping of the “TEQ” logo on Toyota tools was discontinued in the very late 60’s or very early 70’s. That’s speculation of course – if anyone can substantiate, please chime in.

If seems the words "TOYOTA MOTOR" were used after the TEQ era on tools well into the 80’s, as evidenced in the 1981 catalog. From there, it appears the TOYOTA MOTOR evolved into simply "TOYOTA". Speculation again, but TOYOTA MOTOR seemed to all but disappear from Toyota tools in the late 90s. Here's a pic of TOYOTA MOTOR tool #09130-00120, needle nose pliers, from the 1981 catalog:

Vintage Toyota Motor Needlenose Pliers.jpg

The time frame of the TOYOTA MOTOR to TOYOTA evolution is important when considering the possibility of obtaining/collecting TOYOTA MOTOR tools from the 1972 and 1981 catalogs. Think about the period we are talking about. Toyota’s first import into the United States was the Toyopet Crown in 1957, and obviously as cars were imported and driven, cars fell down, went boom, and had to be repaired. Toyota service auto shops utilizing genuine Toyota tools weren't on every street corner. In the event a technician did need a tool, chances are he would lean toward Mac or Snap On, rather than placing an order from a Toyota “Recommended” tool catalog.

If that theory is correct, it is very possible few TOYOTA MOTOR “Standard” or “Recommended” tools from the 1972 and 1981 catalogs ever made their way to the United States. That is somewhat substantiated by the absence of those types of tools on US auction websites, making them just as scarce, or even more scarce, than the somewhat difficult to attain Toyota grease guns or early engine adjust kits.

Here are tools 09130-00140, 09018-38180, & 09018-12250 (vise grips, 9.5mm ratchet, & 12.7mm ratchet).

Toyota Motor Vise Grips.jpg
Toyota Motor Ratchets.jpg

Page 12 of wscbill’s TTKOA thread has some great pictures of the screwdrivers from those catalogs:

Tools, Tool Kits, Options and Accessories

With regard to accessories, who knows how many hundreds or thousands of vintage items were manufactured for the different Toyota models that had TOYOTA MOTOR or the old "TEQ" logo imprinted or stamped. I’ve recently come across a few TOYOTA MOTOR or TEQ items I never dreamed existed. Here’s one that would look very cool in the glove box of a vintage Land Cruiser:

TEQ Toyota Motor Flashlight.jpg

And another:

clip_image004.jpg
clip_image006.jpg

TEQ Toyota Motor Speedy Wax.jpg

Speedy 101 AutoWax? Yeah, pretty sweet.

Your turn. Do TOYOTA MOTOR tools fill any space in your bags, boxes or chests? Have any old, vintage TOYOTA MOTOR or TEQ accessories collecting dust in the back of the garage cabinet? Share a few pics if you do. Would love to see them.

Poster's Editorial: Guess this thread could have been a continuation of the TTKOA thread, but figured it could be separated out and focus on tools/accessories that weren't found in Land Cruisers as they rolled off the lines.

Last edited:
Dealership Stool

I bought this Stool while working as a Lube tech my first summer internship at Toyota Dealer Via the T-Ten Program Circa 1996

there was down time between Jiffy-Jock time and i needed to take it easy the Collage Level T-Ten Program way

the stool came in a toyota Parts Box

DSCN9428.JPG

Toyota T-Ten Master Tech. Program first generation LOGO

image.aspx1234.png

Toyota SST A/C Lines & fittings Torque Wrench set

DSCN9410.JPG
DSCN9412.JPG
DSCN9413.JPG

Toyota SST Clutch Alighnment Tool set ( Note : Wooden Dowel Construction )

The Land Cruiser is the big one with red stripe #11

DSCN9417.JPG

Toyota SST Gear Shift remover ( Land Cruiser ) 09305-55010

Note: this was issued to me in 1998 upon completion of the 1st 1/2 of the T-Ten Program & has never been used

DSCN9427.JPG

This Banner was issued to a USA Toyota Dealership Part's Dept's retail center display in 1997 ,

Lets just say it never made it on the wall :smokin:

DSCN9429.JPG

T-Ten program graduation gift from Mr. T Circa 1998

Unknown part # , in good working order

DSCN9436.JPG
DSCN9437.JPG
DSCN9438.JPG
DSCN9439.JPG

Toyota OEM Human-Being SST's

JDM Stainless steel

made in Japan

I purchased these at the Toyota City , Japan on premises Gift Shop during T-Ten class trip spring break circa. 1997

They Indeed have a factory OEM part # :eek:

- 052-581-9966

DSCN9441.JPG
DSCN9443.JPG
DSCN9444.JPG

Last edited:
OEM LEXUS Slip-joint Pliers

Made in Japan

" Bristling UN-Circulated " Condition o_O

DSCN9447.JPG

Last edited:
My collection of Vintage Toyota Aerosols

these cans date from late 1970's to Mid 1980's , A/C Fridge fresh 1990's

most are Full and unused

DSCN9434.JPG

I found these at a estate sale , fellow was a Retired Toyota Master Tech. from 1960's - 70's

Corona one appears Un-Used ,o_O

I have never used it just because off that ................

DSCN9394.JPG

My NOS wrist watch o_O

( still in original plastic packaging )

DSCN9490.JPG
DSCN9491.JPG
DSCN9492.JPG

Cool thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom