Vintage Teq Parts.com, Kit For Radio Noise Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'75 FJ40, USA harness, points with igniter. I'm trying to correct the radio interference when I'm spinning the 2F at highway rpm.

How do I hook this up? Did it ever come new with the 40? NOS OEM Toyota RADIO Noise Filters & Condensers Voltage Regulator,Fender Mounted Igniter 90980-04010 / 90980-05055 a true set of must have's.. - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/collections/electrical/products/nos-oem-toyota-radio-noise-filters-condensers-voltage-regulator-fender-mounted-igniter-90980-04010-90980-05055-a-true-set-of-must-haves

20210530_194000.jpg

There is a loose wire connecting to the negative side of the coil terminating with a bullet connector. My guess is plug it in there, ground it on the screw holding the coil to the inner side of the fender. But, then what is the spade connector (above) for?

20210530_194204.jpg

I wish I could answer your question, but I do have one for you. Could you tell me how your igniter is wired? What color wires and where they come from or go to?

I am adding the same igniter/points combo to my 72 and need a little help.

Thanks,
Phil

Hey mate don't know if this helps but this Toyota bulletin was stapled into my fsm when I bought the car.
Go to post number 10 on my build thread.

I wish I could answer your question, but I do have one for you. Could you tell me how your igniter is wired? What color wires and where they come from or go to?

I am adding the same igniter/points combo to my 72 and need a little help.

Thanks,
Phil

Scanned Document.jpg

This is the best that I can gather from the mouse nest on the side of the coil. Let's see what the jury thinks. One legibility issue is the red wire from the harness is also understood as the black wire to the distributor points. Also, the two diagrams in the Haynes manual appear simplified, so it is hard to confirm what I observe, such as the white ceramic piece on the battery side of the coil.

Aside from that, there probably is an ignition wire (ring terminal) from the fender harness, and a points wire (spade terminal) from the fender harness, hook them up. Unless you have a remanufactured starter with the by-pass wire on the starter solenoid, then the ignition wire simply goes to the coil positive. Then you have the black wire from the igniter to the coil negative.

@Dizzy Thank you very much for the detailed drawing. That helps a lot!

I'm studying the 75 schematic also. What color is the harness wire from the green connector? Is that the red wire you mention?

I have two wires on the starter solenoid, one from the harness and the other (currently) wired to the coil +.

Phil

On my igniter, the spade (green?) connector is a red wire. However, it appears bleached to white on my rig that sat in the NM sun without the hood. On the other side of my harness, it is black, and so is the wire on the new distributor. Go figure. However, it all appears to be the distributor/points side of things.

The '75 harness diagram is so much more legible. For anyone reading this, I wish someone would sell a wall-sized poster of the diagrams that folds up, and is printed on water resistant map paper; I'd buy it in a second.

Btw, the capacitor would be disconnected inside the distributor, when using an igniter.

... wish someone would sell a wall-sized poster of the diagrams that folds up, and is printed on water resistant map paper; I'd buy it in a second.
I would buy one as well...

Thank you for the details.

'75 FJ40, USA harness, points with igniter. I'm trying to correct the radio interference when I'm spinning the 2F at highway rpm.

How do I hook this up? Did it ever come new with the 40? NOS OEM Toyota RADIO Noise Filters & Condensers Voltage Regulator,Fender Mounted Igniter 90980-04010 / 90980-05055 a true set of must have's.. - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/collections/electrical/products/nos-oem-toyota-radio-noise-filters-condensers-voltage-regulator-fender-mounted-igniter-90980-04010-90980-05055-a-true-set-of-must-haves

View attachment 2689691

There is a loose wire connecting to the negative side of the coil terminating with a bullet connector. My guess is plug it in there, ground it on the screw holding the coil to the inner side of the fender. But, then what is the spade connector (above) for?

View attachment 2689690

View attachment 2689691

View attachment 2689690

Dizzy

Please let me know if these Diagrams answer your install questions ?

Thanks

YES indeed both filters came on USA spec. FJ40,s

Wide range year span applications. On these little rascals

31453162-8F6E-4947-B94E-848FD63DE573.jpeg
B20984AE-8523-4F47-8EDC-C7597DD7864D.jpeg
16F36D2C-8551-4A55-A9A4-78F6E73867F7.jpeg

To be clear, it's to black/yellow that the filter connects to? Then on to the engine block?

PXL_20210606_211059068.jpg

Ok cool. I have a Retro-Sound radio and after 10-15 minutes listening to FM radio the thing freaks out and starts making screeching sounds. A reboot of the radio fixes it. It doesn't happen when running bluetooth so I'm hoping it's interference the radio can't handle. Of course now that I post this up I'm sure someone is going to tell me this doesn't have anything to do with that issue. :bang:

@iptman
Well, my OEM radio still has static, interference or whatever. I’ve been thinking it has to do with a ground. I’ve tried a number of things to clear it up, no dice. Hope your retro sounds radio works out better. I’d like to go that way eventually. Hope this doesn’t get you down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom