1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Car race - major wreck

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Cobra Jet, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

For those of you who are into the Automotive Hobby or are Automotive Enthusiasts, I'm sure you'll recognize not only some of the vehicles involved in this very large wreck, but will also know the $$$VALUE$$$ of some of those vehicles totaled out...

http://www.pbase.com/atrltd/bric2005

what a dang shame.... The Cobras were real, as a real genuine Shelby Cobra has an all aluminum body, and you can see the damages have crinkled the metal...

2. miked

miked

the horror... the horror

3. MDH33

MDH33

They can afford to own them, race them, crash them... They certainly can afford to replace them. I'm sure they have much less reverence for them than I do with my meager paycheck.

4. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

:frown: dam shame,,, yanks knew how to build good cars then :bounce: :bounce:

5. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

That's a fact. Oh ya & HA HA!!!

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    The guy I work for owns multiple vintage Shelby vehicles, including the #13 Daytona coupe and a few GT40's including a 427 powered example and several original Cobras. All of these vehicles see track time and he races them agressively. I have driven 4 of the Cobras and ridden in the Daytona coupe and one of the GT40s.

7. Cruisergreg

Cruisergreg

You play, you pay.

Did that happen in the pit row?

8. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

I have not one twinge of regret watching boys with their toys place them in harm's way. Quit yer whining!

9. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

agreed with dieseldog.

at least their not just posin outside cafe's and whorehouses (i mean night clubs) or in museums

they were built to race.

10. honk

honk

Media:
    That's Racing!

11. brian

brian SILVER Star

my eyes, my eyes....i can't see.....

12. RedGreen

RedGreen

My uncle's name is Dick Carlson and he's really into vintage racers. I was following the links just trying to see if it was his website. Wow. If it is, I doubt he's telling my Aunt about his "other hobby" photographs.

It hurts seeing a car wreck like this. Who cares if they have the money to replace the cars. Think of all the time you've put into your Cruisers just to go out and wreck one beyond repair. Ouch.

13. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Hey Dan -

1) thanks for the discussion and parts order yesterday (FJ80 headlight, misc parts, etc)

2) wow - that's really cool that you're able to be around such cars! How was the drive in the Daytona Coupe? What about driving a Cobra, was it a neat drive/feeling?

I'm a Mustang Enthusiast by heart, have owned 17 of them to date, with my current modified 'baby" being my 1994 Cobra coupe. I was in TX one year visiting and met up with a guy who was selling a genuine 65 Shelby GT350... He was kind enough to give me a ride in it and it was a killer ride too!! The car sounded awesome, it had a ton of power as we blasted up the highway and just the feeling of being in a Shelby was an experience in itself!

:beer: :grinpimp:

14. stevezero

stevezero SILVER Star

I didnt see any hair color other than gray on those drivers..........I'm sure one of those "drivers" will be attempting to file some sort of insurance claim on his "classic car"...shame it happened to old pieces of history, but as stated, ya play, ya pay.....My former boss (back in the late 80's) ran a vintage alfa that was wrecked and rebuilt at least 3 times in the 2 years i worked there. Sad part is, he ran three races with it durin that time :). Spent booooooocoooooooooo bucks on it each time. They arent technically "vintage", look around at the suspension, brakes, and power plants, youll see all kinds of "updating". internal bits in the engine are nowhere near their original types.....Theres a bit of a gentlemans rule about Dont ask/dont tell about the mods.

I just took the time to read the posts about the wreck from spectators, drivers and stewards, and WOW. It is amazing how some can be soo narrowminded and egostrong, and how others are looking at what they can learn from it. It's amazing that noone was killed or seriously injured. I thought vintage racing was about the cars, not egos and actually "racing". Seems like as usual, ya put two guys up against each other, and the "competition" begins........If youre that serious about racing, then get a "new" racecar and have at it. Parts are cheaper, cost is less, and you dont have a bunch of historians ready to take your head off for ruining an valuable collectors item. I guess alot of these guys are trying to live their teenager dreams they werent able to have...... It will be interesting to see if the "rules" start changing because of the carnage.

I'm sure the amount of twisted sheetmetal is equilvalent of what happens in a single weekend in the rocks out west from this group alone :D :flipoff2: :flipoff2: