Vintage Air with SBC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Upper 80s in Austin today, so I guess Al Gore was right!! :mad:

I have searched a lot here, and there are quite a few folks that have Vintage Air installs in their SBC powered 40s. What I haven't found is many (any) pics of under the hood. I'm just trying to visualize how it all goes together. Any kind souls that could snap a few and post? It would be much appreciated! :cheers:

I dont have one but my buddy put one in his El Camino and it sits and runs great. He also bought the serpentine set up for it and its nice. Pricey, but nice.

BTW, vintage air is made here just north of san antonio and you can come visit the shop..

You should also look carefully at this one. I have it in my fj40 with a 350. The nice thing here is the unit becomes your heater as well as air. you get to remove the old heater unit. (yes, has defrost as well)
TPI4x4

Richard

You should also look carefully at this one. I have it in my fj40 with a 350. The nice thing here is the unit becomes your heater as well as air. you get to remove the old heater unit. (yes, has defrost as well)
TPI4x4

Richard

That unit is a Vintage system...I'd love to see how your compressor is connected as well...sorry bout' the hijack!

Cheers!

Upper 80s in Austin today, so I guess Al Gore was right!! :mad:

I have searched a lot here, and there are quite a few folks that have Vintage Air installs in their SBC powered 40s. What I haven't found is many (any) pics of under the hood. I'm just trying to visualize how it all goes together. Any kind souls that could snap a few and post? It would be much appreciated! :cheers:

Not vintage but this is what mine looks like under the hood. For the best performance get the largest condenser that will fit.
IMG_2427.JPG
FJ40 front end.jpg
MVC-583S.JPG

Thanks, Phil; your comments on the topic were ones I saw often here on the forum. :cheers:

Last edited:
Vintage Air AC, serpentine kit, and PS installed by Iron Pig Off-Road in Fredericksburg, VA.
P1000997a.jpg
P1000998a.jpg

Pretty sweet install!

Does anybody have installs done on non-serpentine belted V8's? Or must one convert to that?

Cheers

Pretty sweet install!

Does anybody have installs done on non-serpentine belted V8's? Or must one convert to that?

Cheers

Phil's is V-belt drive.

If you want a pic of Vintage Air on SBC w/older style bracketry in something non Cruiser I can help

Phil's is V-belt drive.

If you want a pic of Vintage Air on SBC w/older style bracketry in something non Cruiser I can help

Would love that...I'll take this to private mail!

Would love that...I'll take this to private mail!

Why not share the love? :D
Vintage air "sure fit" kit for early 60's Chevy truck with SBC.
I was not impressed with the "sure fit" of the interior component. The compressor brackets were all provided by them. Fit pretty well with some minor mods for the exhaust manifold.

The alt and PS are on OEM brackets and pulleys for the short pump. These brackets are getting harder to come by.

I would recommend later model long pump stuff from 73 on. This swaps the alt and compressor positions.
DSCF0108.JPG
DSCF0109.JPG

Yeah, mine is around late 70's vintage so the alternator is a high mount on the passenger side with PS on the drivers side and the long pump...not sure how I am gonna fit the compressor in there yet...I really don't want to have to move everything....any pics of something like that??

Cheers

Stock 70's era GM compressor mounting, long pump, drivers side.
I'm pretty sure Vintage Air sells adaptors to put a more modern Sanden style compressor on these brackets. Or a complete replacement bracket to mount on the same holes.

Or just use early 80's GM stuff like on Phil's in the earlier pic:meh:

Yeah, mine is around late 70's vintage so the alternator is a high mount on the passenger side with PS on the drivers side and the long pump...not sure how I am gonna fit the compressor in there yet...I really don't want to have to move everything....any pics of something like that??

Cheers
engineair.jpg

Will prolly just use the Alan Groves #119L bracket set and mount a Sanden on the DS...looks to be the most straight forward way to approach this installation...jusdt gonna need some looong compressor hoses!

Thanks for the info!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom