Vintage Air Electrical/Belt Size Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TCSTARK

Master Debater & Cunning Linguist
Threads
Ok, so I got through alot of the install today and I have a few electrical questions :hmm:. They are:

1. What direct ignition source did you tap into? This is the purple wire in the Vintage AC install document.

2. The evaporator unit connects to the compressor with a blue wire and adaptor. They gave me the adaptor but they are both female ends. Do I simply buy the correct one at my local parts store?

**EDIT** Been thinking about this one and re-read the electric schematic and found my answer. Both ends go into the compression safety switch and not an error on the VA kit.

I also have a question about the belt size. What size\width belt did you use? Part numbers would be ideal.

Last edited:
Belt Size - I just ran a thread of string around all of the pulleys and I came up with 59" inches. Does that sound correct?

So now I will search for 11/16 x 59" belt....

Last edited:
Documentation online suggests a 22590 belt sizefor this application. I have been able to find a Dayco V-Belt (DAC 22590) and Gates V-belt (7590). I went with the Gate Green Stripe V-belt.

Last edited:
The last item that I need to deal with is the electrical connection to a keyed ignition source. Any help would be appreciated.

The last item that I need to deal with is the electrical connection to a keyed ignition source. Any help would be appreciated.

Is this on your '76 ? are you using a stock LC compressor? I think it's a Denso?

Is this on your '76 ? are you using a stock LC compressor? I think it's a Denso?

Yes, it is a 76. The compressor is not stock, it is an aftermarket Sanden Compressor (#S6681). I am sure it is a very standard connection that needs to be made but I have never done any electrical wiring in a automobile and don't want to hack it up.

Yes, it is a 76. The compressor is not stock, it is an aftermarket Sanden Compressor (#S6681). I am sure it is a very standard connection that needs to be made but I have never done any electrical wiring in a automobile and don't want to hack it up.

Hi, was just curious as I am piecing together parts to put AC on my '74, Are you using the stock motor mount bracket?

Hi, was just curious as I am piecing together parts to put AC on my '74, Are you using the stock motor mount bracket?

No, the Vintage Air kit came with a mounting bracket. The compressor mounts directly above the altenator. Here's a pic of the installed bracket.
IMG_0778.JPG

Bob from tpi4x4.com was able to provide me with an answer to my electrical dilema. It was so simple I am amazed. He told me to connect the VA wiring to the open slots in the fuse panel.

I removed the fuse panel and there they were,... two open connectors. I simply slid the VA connector to the fuse panel and it had power (when the key was turned).

Ok, this mystery is solved. I just need to get the system charged and this one is checked off the list.

I had the same question as I'm in the process of doing this same installation. Do you happen to have a picture of the purple wire connection you were talking about?
I was wondering what to plug it into and how to do it without just leaving it hacked. do you still have the fuse panel cover after wiring it in?

I had the same question as I'm in the process of doing this same installation. Do you happen to have a picture of the purple wire connection you were talking about?
I was wondering what to plug it into and how to do it without just leaving it hacked. do you still have the fuse panel cover after wiring it in?

There are constant 12+ and ignition 12+ tabs on the back of your fuse block.

It would be a good idea to make sure that that circuit has a fuse in it somewhere . I’m not familiar with the vintage air wiring , but I do believe that the terminals on the back of the stock fuse panel are not tied into a fuse in the panel. I may be totally wrong but it’s worth at least checking into before the smoke comes out of the wiring.

It would be a good idea to make sure that that circuit has a fuse in it somewhere . I’m not familiar with the vintage air wiring , but I do believe that the terminals on the back of the stock fuse panel are not tied into a fuse in the panel. I may be totally wrong but it’s worth at least checking into before the smoke comes out of the wiring.

The purple wire is only to trigger the relay. The VA main power circuit uses a circuit breaker and connects directly to the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom