Vin's on 79 fj40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help ! went to Calif. DMV for certification and they said the FJ must have 2 vin#'s on the tub itself not counting the one on frame. Now they've sent me to CHP for 2nd certification. Can anyone tell me where the 2nd is located? Or if it even has a 2nd. Thanks, Rick

On my '76 it is on a plate on the pass. fender next to the battery. I belive they moved it to the firewall (still on the pass. side)

scout4.3 said:
Help ! went to Calif. DMV for certification and they said the FJ must have 2 vin#'s on the tub itself not counting the one on frame. Now they've sent me to CHP for 2nd certification. Can anyone tell me where the 2nd is located? Or if it even has a 2nd. Thanks, Rick

My 2/71 has two Vin tags. One on the door post and one on the passenger inner fender. Pic shows one of inner fender.
VinPlateRemovedCleaned.jpg

I have a 79 FJ40 in the shop now, on the drivers front door pillar, and on the firewall passenger side, above the heater motor.........
Butch

vin# placement

Well I checked drivers side door post( below door limit thingy) and it looks to be gone. So now I'm wondering; when I take to CHP what kind of inspection will they do? This Fj has a salvage title from Utah issued, what looks to the insurance company. A wrecker here in so Cal purchased it from them and I purchased from wrecker. DMV shows no record so I'm trying to register it without showing any paperwork . So does CHP have access to more information then DMV will they find out it's a Utah salvage? What is CHP looking for asidefrom the FJ Vin"s being tampered with indicating stolen or year cahnge.

Having verified VINs in the past I know that the CHP has the same information that the DMV has plus the CHP has a book that will tell them where the "hidden" VIN is. They should be able to verify this. I don't know how they will view a "salvage" title but I'm sure that they have a way of licensing your rig. As was already mentioned, there should be a VIN plate on the passenger side inboard of the right front fender.

There also may also be a "salvage" sicker inside the engine compartment. That's where the Department of Licensing, here in Washington, put one on my rig after it was declared "salvaged".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom