VIN Woes...shackle covering # ..need some serious help / ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.landcruiseroftheday.com
VIN Woes...shackle covering # Fixed...got my blue tag!!!

Oh man...California registration!!! What a hassle...I spent 2 hours at CHP today trying to get a new Blue Tag VIN# issued....someone did an old school reverse shackle setup and welded over part of the frame stamp on the front....they pulled all but 3 #'s and still wont give me the new # until I can show another stamp or uncover the remaining #'s:>(

FYI..2F is gone..Chevy 327 in there now and a T350 so those are out

Next step is cutting back part of the welded plate to expose the last two #'s...but before that..... I wanted to see the exact locations of any other possible VIN# stamps so I might be able to "uncover" any other locations...I read on the forum there should be others under the battery tray area and also on the drivers side door or door jam? I can't find either.......any other #'s I can cross reference???...he said if i can match anything major like transfer case, axle, diff etc and he pass it....any and all help is appreciated...otherwise it's Dremel time:frown:
IMG_1160.jpg

Last edited:
no vin numbers on axles, engines, trannies or tcases. just the tag and frame.

and what's wrong with the data tag on driver's side A pillar?

and just looking at the pic, one number for sure has been welded over.

of course since he did'nt know the locations of numbers, a decent set of stamps will put a number anywhere you see fit........

no vin numbers on axles, engines, trannies or tcases. just the tag and frame.

and just looking at the pic, one number for sure has been welded over.

of course since he did'nt know the locations of numbers, a decent set of stamps will put a number anywhere you see fit........

Hi Brian,

data tag appears to be gone....

Thx,
Ben

well then.....looks like It's Dremel time...no other choice....I am pretty mean with a Dremel with all the custom work we do...I should be able to do a nice surgical cut around the area and work inside to back never having to mess with the weld.....then I can just pry out the cut piece and expose the last two #'s which is all he needs to pass it....I'll keep you posted.

whats the lesson?....never buy an out of state car with missing data plates...:doh:

Thanks,
Benjamin

brian said:

When I registered my 40 in CA they would not accept the data plate. They insisted on the frame VIN. So having the data plate would not have helped.

Thanks man!....the trick is the reinforced cutting wheels...you can get pretty surgical if you need to with them:wrench:;)

Damn, how many cutting wheels did you go through?

Nice work, clean cuts. :beer:

Only in good old CA....:bang:

Yeah no kidding. I once registered my cousins motorcycle for him here in Montana and just gave them the title that he signed and that was it. No I.D. or anything, done in 15 min.

Very nice work with the dremel! Whats the difference between regular cutting discs and the reinforced discs?

Yeah no kidding. I once registered my cousins motorcycle for him here in Montana and just gave them the title that he signed and that was it. No I.D. or anything, done in 15 min.

Very nice work with the dremel! Whats the difference between regular cutting discs and the reinforced discs?

There you go....nice and easy:cool:

The reinforced discs are a bit thicker and they seem to have a woven pattern to the material...the material is definitely more heavy duty as well ....the other normal discs are just more of a sand waffer...no way they would have made I through that steel plate...
IMG_1170.jpg
IMG_1171.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom