Vin # versus Frame # (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at a FJ40 with a vin build date in 1978, but the frame is from early 1980. It is a nice rig, but I am wondering if anyone things this discrepancy should impact the current value and/or the long-term value?

Are you buying it for an investment or are you buying it to enjoy?

Is the gas tank under the body, or inside under the passenger seat? It should effect the price. Which number is on the title?

Just mentioning current value and long term value for you I would say pass. Mix match will probably hurt value in the long run. If you looking at is as an investment would learn about the vehicles before just buying one that probably have a nice paint job and looks nice.

Thanks for the question. Primarily enjoyment, but I want to make sure I am not over paying or the value is going to be damaged long-term.

Mix matched parts generally bring the value down, no collector value. You're going to have to determine what you are willing to pay for your driving enjoyment. If they are asking top dollar I'd say negotiate based on frame being replaced along with who knows what other parts.

I would be concern I was buying a stolen vehicle and would want to confirm that first.

Mix matched parts generally bring the value down, no collector value. You're going to have to determine what you are willing to pay for your driving enjoyment. If they are asking top dollar I'd say negotiate based on frame being replaced along with who knows what other parts.
This is the first time I've posted a question and I really appreciate your insight and that of everyone else.

Under that passenger seat. I have not yet seen the title.
I'd walk away too. Sketchy vehicle and paper work. It would probably bite you at some point. You could just remove the A pillar tag and go by just frame #, but the differences between 78 and 79 are very noticeable. Fyi, 79 and later would have a gas tank under the body.

I'd walk away too. Sketchy vehicle and paper work. It would probably bite you at some point. You could just remove the A pillar tag and go by just frame #, but the differences between 78 and 79 are very noticeable. Fyi, 79 and later would have a gas tank under the body.

Thanks so much. Good advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom