Vin plate on 8/1968 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone verify if an fj40 built in 8/1968 is supposed to have a vin plate on the drivers side door pillar? I am getting conflicting info. I have seen the specter offroad page on this and it says yes, others say no. I know this year has the vin on frame rail and passenger side fender well, but can someone with a similar build year verify the one in the door pillar...please?

....one more question is 8/1968 fj40 considered a 1969 model? Or does it just depend on when it was originally sold? When I buy parts do I just consider it a 1968? Im a 60 series guy and just got a 40...so Im gearing up to fall down the rabbit hole again

I would use 68 I have a titled 69 with a build date of 5/68 I just buy parts that will fit a f engine or what I need sometimes it will be for a older or newer 40.
JP

69 model was a very strange model year. Many changes during the model year. Early 69s were the same as the 68 model. 3/69 is also the oldest the Toyota parts system goes back to. Post some pictures of your Cruiser.

any info on the firewall vin plate for a 68 fj40 would be appreciated. what does it look like?

rw
68 would be on the passenger fender in engine bay. Pic of my old 69 below but same place.

B1F9714F-3630-4083-B18B-867A82A051AD.jpeg

Thanks so much. Any chance of getting a closer view. I am considering buying a repop/duplicate but would like to make sure it matches. rw

Here is a 68 plate from another thread. Earlier plates had the "number of cylinders", "bore", "stroke" lines, which were replaced on the 68 plate with the "hereby certifies" paragraph.
1613735285297.png

Repro plates vary considerably. It is not uncommon for repros to have issues with fonts, alignment/spacing, missing characters, misspelled words. Here's an example.
"certifies", "that", and "conforms" are misspelled, missing period in "cu in", square comma and periods in the bottom block, teq logo is missing the jagged lines, teq logo circle is inconsistent, some of the words are not aligned, and the fonts don't match the original.

The best repro plates I've seen in terms of being closest to the originals are from ebay user carboneliveries (car bone liveries) in Poland, no affiliation. Contact them directly if the plate you want is not currently posted.
1613735542167.png

jbl
Here is a 68 plate from another thread. Earlier plates had the "number of cylinders", "bore", "stroke" lines, which were replaced on the 68 plate with the "hereby certifies" paragraph.
View attachment 2590074

Repro plates vary considerably. It is not uncommon for repros to have issues with fonts, alignment/spacing, missing characters, misspelled words. Here's an example.
"certifies", "that", and "conforms" are misspelled, missing period in "cu in", square comma and periods in the bottom block, teq logo is missing the jagged lines, teq logo circle is inconsistent, some of the words are not aligned, and the fonts don't match the original.

The best repro plates I've seen in terms of being closest to the originals are from ebay user carboneliveries (car bone liveries) in Poland, no affiliation. Contact them directly if the plate you want is not currently posted.
View attachment 2590080
jblatz, thank you so much for the response. That info. is exactly what I was looking for. much appreciated! RW

69 model was a very strange model year. Many changes during the model year. Early 69s were the same as the 68 model.
I have a manufacture date of 01/69 FJ40 titled as a 69 Frame number 64770, as Living in the Past says it shares many parts with the 68 year. When I order parts I refer to it as a 12/68. You can get the month of manufacture I believe on the SOR site. I have gotten in the habit of calling it a 12/68 for parts but now when I look at the numbers it falls in January 69. lots of lap over forward and back on 68 and 69

I have a manufacture date of 5/68 and titled 69 and when ordering parts just make sure to tell them it is a pre 3/69 man date.

Thanks so much. Any chance of getting a closer view. I am considering buying a repop/duplicate but would like to make sure it matches. rw
Can anyone verify if an fj40 built in 8/1968 is supposed to have a vin plate on the drivers side door pillar? I am getting conflicting info. I have seen the specter offroad page on this and it says yes, others say no. I know this year has the vin on frame rail and passenger side fender well, but can someone with a similar build year verify the one in the door pillar...please?
I Do have a few blanks remaining Please give me a PM

1613826594125.png

1613826624443.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom